• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

711 and hats

Zero4910

imported post

I went to my local 711 yesterday and while I was OCing my Glock 21, I was also wearing a tan ballcap with the American flag on it and the woman behind the counter, while she said nothing about the .45 on my hip, said that in all local (Hampton Roads area) 711s now require all hats, scarfs, etc. be removed before entering the store. I didn't have a problem with it, so I said "Okay." and took it off.

I did check the door after I left and couldn't find anything that was posted, but I thought I'd let everyone know that if you go to a 711 with a hat, you might be asked to remove it...

Also, this had nothing to do with the fact I had a weapon.

What is the world coming to when I have to remove my hat to buy a bottle of water and some gummy worms??? :shock:

-adam

Neplusultra

imported post

Zero4910 wrote:
I went to my local 711 yesterday and while I was OCing my Glock 21, I was also wearing a tan ballcap with the American flag on it and the woman behind the counter, while she said nothing about the .45 on my hip, said that in all local (Hampton Roads area) 711s now require all hats, scarfs, etc. be removed before entering the store. I didn't have a problem with it, so I said "Okay." and took it off.

I did check the door after I left and couldn't find anything that was posted, but I thought I'd let everyone know that if you go to a 711 with a hat, you might be asked to remove it...

Also, this had nothing to do with the fact I had a weapon.

What is the world coming to when I have to remove my hat to buy a bottle of water and some gummy worms??? :shock:

-adam
They want a clear video shot of your face? Might be a good crime fighting tool.... Of course the BG would just ignore it and walk right in with his hoodie on. Dummies.

Zero4910

imported post

Maybe if they ask nicely the BG with remove his/her hoodie before possibly killing the attendant for the $43.76 in the cash register.

I dont think this 711 had any cameras...not that i saw at least and I go there several times a week.

-adam

virginiatuck

imported post

Look up 'hat etiquette'. Like most salutations and customs, they have evolved over many generations. Less so now, but it used to be rather disrespectful to wear a hat indoors.

I generally don't consider a public store to be one of the places I must remove my hat, but I do in restaurants, visiting people's homes, and when I'm visiting a client's office. In my own office, I sometimes leave my hat on.

It may be that the owner is feebly trying to restore some order and a sense of respect in his community.

And not all thieves who enter the 7-11 are confrontational. If 7-11 in fact wants a nice picture for the camera, they could be looking for shoplifters and not just armed robbers.

wrightme

imported post

A local branch of NFCU has the same policy. No hats, sunglasses, or other garment (hood) that obscures the face or head may be worn inside.

Neplusultra

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
Look up 'hat etiquette'. Like most salutations and customs, they have evolved over many generations. Less so now, but it used to be rather disrespectful to wear a hat indoors.

I generally don't consider a public store to be one of the places I must remove my hat, but I do in restaurants, visiting people's homes, and when I'm visiting a client's office. In my own office, I sometimes leave my hat on.
I never did understand the reasoning behind this social custom. My father once got angry with me because I didn't take of my baseball cap inside a Chesapeake Bay Seafood restaurant. I said, "Dad, look around". There was at least 7 or 8 others wearing their caps too.

What's the deal with taking off your hat?

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
I never did understand the reasoning behind this social custom. My father once got angry with me because I didn't take of my baseball cap inside a Chesapeake Bay Seafood restaurant. I said, "Dad, look around". There was at least 7 or 8 others wearing their caps too.

$0.02 -- manners

When I was a cadet at Virginia Tech, it was extensively drilled into us that you always wear your cover (hat) when armed.

Neplusultra

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

$0.02 -- manners

When I was a cadet at Virginia Tech, it was extensively drilled into us that you always wear your cover (hat) when armed.
Why would taking your hat off inside be considered "manners"? It just seems to me to be social "custom" and not pertaining to anything that might offend someone. That's what manners and gentlemanliness is about, not giving offense. How does my hat being on indoors offend?

Really about the cadets? Interesting. I'll have to use that argument the next time since I'm always armed :^). Was there a reason given as to why you were so instructed?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Why would taking your hat off inside be considered "manners"? It just seems to me to be social "custom" and not pertaining to anything that might offend someone. That's what manners and gentlemanliness is about, not giving offense. How does my hat being on indoors offend?

Back in the day, it was customary for a gentleman to wear a hat as part of being properly dressed. It was also customary to remove your hat when indoors and to tip your hat as a sign of respect to a woman that you encountered.

Times have changed.

Back in the day, an undershirt was a shirt worn under your regular shirt. An undershirt was a garment that only your wife saw you wear in the privacy of your bedroom. Today, its common to see certain segments of society walking around in the white undershirts and/or "wifebeaters" as they are known on the street.

Times have changed.

Back in the day, your underwear was kept hidden in your pants. Now people wear their pants slung down their asses and they show off their boxer shorts.

Times have changed.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:

Really about the cadets? Interesting. I'll have to use that argument the next time since I'm always armed :^). Was there a reason given as to why you were so instructed?
Why is it considered good manners? For the same reason, it's considered good manners to use sir or ma'am, hold the door for women, etc. It's just good manners.

Yes, they were very serious about wearing you cover while armed. Granted our Springfield '03s didn't have firing pins and had plugged barrels. I did many a pushup because of a fellow cadet not having a cover on. As for why you wear a cover while under arms, that's the regulation. It's the military (or military training in this case); you follow the regs or you get punished.

virginiatuck

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:

Think about the reason you are wearing a hat. Is it to keep the sun out of your eyes? To keep from getting your scalp sun-burnt? Is it to keep your hair from blowing in the wind?

Indoors there is not usually sun or wind. If there is no obvious reason to wear your hat, then you may be hiding something; so why should someone trust you? Removing your hat simply assures everyone that you are not hiding; so you are not, or less of, a threat. It puts people at ease. And that is also why the custom dictates a man should remove his hat when talking to a woman or when a woman is in his presence.

If you remove your hat for a national anthem or a funeral, in spite of being outside in the sun or the rain, you are acknowledging that there is something more important than yourself or your personal needs. Again, this lets everyone around you feel more at ease that you are not a threat and that you do not have contempt.

It's like how offering your empty strong arm to someone shows that you are not raising a weapon to them; so you are not, or less of, a threat.

It's a small thing, but removing your hat just may help some people feel more at ease with you carrying a gun. Whether or not they even know what good manners are, I think people can recognize good manners on a subconscious level. If they observe your good manners, they may not worry so much about your intentions.

wylde007

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Back in the day, it was customary for a gentleman to wear a hat as part of being properly dressed. It was also customary to remove your hat when indoors and to tip your hat as a sign of respect to a woman that you encountered.
As it should still be for anyone who considers himself a gentleman. To many it is no different than standing when a woman gets up or arrives at the supper table, pulling out her chair or holding the door. Courtesy and etiquette beget polite society.

Back in the day, an undershirt was a shirt worn under your regular shirt. An undershirt was a garment that only your wife saw you wear in the privacy of your bedroom. Today, its common to see certain segments of society walking around in the white undershirts and/or "wifebeaters" as they are known on the street.
I think I see where this is going

Back in the day, your underwear was kept hidden in your pants. Now people wear their pants slung down their asses and they show off their boxer shorts.
Yep... now I get it...

Times have changed.
And NOT for the better.

my-name-is-john

imported post

while I agree that a BG won't remove his hat while commiting the robbery, there was a cases recently nearby where the man walked into theABCstore, walked out and returned 4 minutes later to rob it. I would assumerobbers stake out a store prior to robbing it, if they have to remove their hats on the initialvisit, they could be Identified later. It's their property, their rules. My hat wearing ability also does not affect the security of a free state.

ETA: recent story, note how he put a hat on for the initial visit:

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/02/man-charged-newport-news-liquor-store-robbery

Tomahawk

imported post

For reatuarants, offices, and private residences of people you are not familiar with, removing your hat is a sign of respect and courtesy.

You may not "get" this custom, but you could ask the same question about most customs. Why do we wear clothes when it's hot outside, for instance? Well, it's rude to show the world your flabby ridiculousness, and it's unsanitary to boot. (No, I won't sit down on the Metro seat you've just vacated, I prefer to stand for this train ride, thank you.)

7-11, of course, is just a convenience store, and along with bars, is the kind of place where this hat custom doesn't really count. Like someone above said, it's probably a security camera thing, and it's about as useless as banning guns.

virginiatuck

imported post

ProShooter wrote:

It's awefully difficult to perform any sort of manual labor dressed like that. And most office jobs have a dress code. Wearing pants like that probably means that they don't have an f'ing job. <period>

Hmm, now to tie this to OC somehow.... oh, without a job they won't be "buying" their guns. That style of dress really limits their gun carrying abilities, too. Mexican-style carry is probably out of the question unless they've got some really tight boxers; their only options would be garter, ankle, or shoulder holsters.