• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I think I've figured it out.

darthmord

imported post

user wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
For some men, I think you are correct. Then there are these men.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/julia/gorin030802.asp

I think she's right - but it's not funny, it's sad.

That was a good read. It's honest and brutal. We who have no problem carrying can accept the truths in it. Those who aren't like us will likely have issues with the article.

Fear makes you do some really stupid things at times.

demnogis

imported post

Reading about some of the reactions people have to OCing... I've yet to experience anything like that. The worst I've gotten is "deer in the headlight" stares. Most people I've come across see it, and avoid all eye contact. Others will either just continue what they're doing completely oblivious, or politely say hello. Nobody I've come across has been confrontational.

BUT, that could change.

We already have suggestions for dealing with sayers-of-nay and we have suggested dialogue and materials for those who are interested or on the fence. But what about confrontational people? How do you deal with someone who wants to push your buttons, who wants to get in your face, who wants to try and make you the bad guy?

XD40coyote

imported post

To address the people who get in your face and say they are scared:

Deer will actually sometimes walk towards you when they spot you, they do this I guess to get a better look or to try to pick up your scent if the wind is blowing the wrong way. They are trying to figure out if you are what they think you are, a predator, yet they will walk towards you. It is generally the lead doe that does this, but I had a spike buck from a bachelor group do this once as well. They don't do this in hunting season either LOL, I only see if when the season is closed.

Cottontails are actually attracted to fox urine, yet foxes are a chief predator of rabbits. Or lets say at least they aren't afraid of the smell, as they hippity hop past.

Foxes should be afraid of human odor, but I could set traps with my bare hands and need a shower badly and still catch a fox that night. They know you aren't there even if they smell the lingering odor.

Sheeple are just another animal LOL :quirky

crotalus01

imported post

"Last but not least, I've always wondered as well why if a person truly considers that a man with a gun is dangerous why they would confront the person. It completely defies logic. If I saw someone I believed was unstable and looked like they were about to go postal, the last thing I would do is confront them or aggressively stare at them. The reason is that if that were the case then you would be the first person they would attack. I would think that anyone truly concerned about such an event would instead act as inconspicuous as possible and casually leave the area."

Yep yep. I have done just that. I was in Phnom Penh, Cambodia a few years ago and wanted to go out and get a drink or two (obviously I was unarmed in a foreign country). For those who dont know, Cambodia is dirt poor and in the process of becoming a tourist hotspot after being a no go for a decade or more. Needless to say, crime is a very real problem there. I was in an open air bar and my spidey sense was going off, I noticed a table of younger Khmers who were glancing my way - I could see one of them very obviously printing. My suspicions were confirmed when he got up to go to the toilet, his shirt rose up and sure enough he was armed (very illegal in Cambodia by the way). I made my way to the other side of the bar and discreetly exited, leaving my half drunk beer on thetable. I was the only foreigner in the bar so pretty sure I was going to be a target of opportunity - I figured it best to extracate myself from that situation.

I have had similiar experiences in Hong Kong, Bangkok, Istanbul and Kabul. Although unarmed in all those places except Kabul (yes I was a tourist not military - long story) I was in condition red just like I would be when packing here in the States, and it has served me well - ALWAYS be hyper aware of whats going on around you when you are in a foreign country (especially third world countries which are the only ones I can afford to visit :shock:)...

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

crotalus01 wrote:
ALWAYS be hyper aware of whats going on around you when you are in a foreign country (especially third world countries which are the only ones I can afford to visit :shock:)...

Yeah, like D.C., Maryland, or New Jersey.

XD40coyote

imported post

ALWAYS be hyper aware of whats going on around you when you are in a foreign country (especially third world countries which are the only ones I can afford to visit :shock:)...

Yeah, including places like Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago... LOL

I think you meant cond yellow or maybe orange, not red. Red is when you are actually acting or reacting to save yourself, ie firing the gun at the BG.

Yes I was hyper aware when I lived in that poopy part of Baltimore. There was even a strange language spoken by somein the area ( ebonics), and when you got to the other side of the "border" it looked kind of 3rd worldish. Most of the city's murders take place in the ugly 3rd worldish parts of the city.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

user wrote:
crotalus01 wrote:
Yeah, like D.C., Maryland, or New Jersey.
:D

Basic Guy

imported post

Having grown up around liberal, anti-gunners I have also come to know another example which is just a bit different from anything mentioned so far.

Lots of liberals a rather "pasionate" people who just have to be allowed to scream and exhibit their anger when they "feel" like it. In my experience a lot of these types get into management level work because they can use this aggression to "get things done". So one of their functioning modes - from which they draw a lot of self worth - is intimidation of others.

When this type sees somebody with a gun they instinctually know that their "powers" of intimidation have been limited. Most of them can not handle this situation calmly.

Statesman

imported post

user wrote:
I had occasion to eat lunch with a friend in a local Mexican restaurant recently. They serve beer, so I took off my long-tailed flannel shirt because carrying a concealed handgun is illegal in a restaurant that serves alcoholic drinks here. There was one guy in the place who clearly took offense by my presence with my modest, relatively inconspicuous Sig 229 on my belt.

I was thinking about this, and I've thought, I've only seen men react that way. And by far the stories I've heard about people causing a fuss over someone with a gun are all about men who react to other men carrying guns. They don't react that way if the man is clearly a cop. And if I had to guess, I'd say the guy who was giving me the hairy eyeball was ex-navy.

So, having considered the matter for some time, I think I've got a handle on it, at least as a partial explanation: they take it as a challenge to their manhood. They don't react to cops because cops are not in the same category they see themselves in, so that's not a threat. But if I (a fat old geezer) come into the restaurant with a gun, they're suddenly worried about who's top dog. I think it's a hormone related mental disorder that had some utility in the hunting and gathering world, but is a real problem for folks living in a city. By coming in with a gun, in that guy's mind, I'm saying to him that I'm in charge, that I'm his superior, and that I have the means to effect my will, take his women, and burn down his house.

Too much testosterone.
Here's my take

Based on a Learning Channel study on the science of sexual attraction, I've have come to the following conclusion:

In my opinion, all heterosexual males are in competition with one another 24/7 for females, instinctively, whether they realize it, admit it, or not. Any time you meet another male (human), especially in the age range of puberty to 30s, or male menopause (declining testosterone), both parties instantly scans, or "size up" the others physical traits and capabilities to see if he is a possible threat. To my knowledge, there are no exceptions to this rule, as long as you are heterosexual.

What I believe you encountered, is a male who scanned your "physical" traits, and on a subconscious level, determined you were inferior to him, however, the gun made you a threat. He is reacting to you with body language, telling you he is your superior (alpha) between you both.

This is why the gun is the true equalizer in a time of need.