• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HELP! OC question/police plot!?!?!

sictransitgloria

imported post

Alright so here's the deal - just recently bought my first revolver, plan on getting a CPL in the next month or so when I can rustle up the cash. However, when I got my license to purchase the gun at the police station in Mason, they said I SHOULD NOT return with it for safety inspection. At the time, (this all being new to me), I thought "great! easier for me," but after coming back to this site and realizing that the law defines open carry as legal for "a safety inspected handgun" I'm wondering if this is some sort of ingenious plot on the part of the local police to make open carry illegal. I'm sort of afraid that if I open carry without that safety inspection, legally I amat fault. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

**edit: I say "ingenious plot on the part of the local police" with sarcasm, because I really think it is just probably designed for the ease of everyone involved....but still....

***edit #2: I want to start OC'ing right away. I would like to exercise thisright for my own protection, protection of those I love, and because I should have the right to. However, this "saftey inspection" deal is giving me some qualms...

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

First, Welcome sic. Now google 28.422 and read the whole thing. It tells you what you are to do as far as registering your firearm. Sec 4, 5, and 6 tell you what to do with the form Rl-60. No plot just a different way of doing things since 1-6-09.Good luck,springerdave.

eta. Do yourself a favor and go to the stickies at the top and read wash, rinse and repeat until its committed to memory. If you are going to take that next step you should know what to do should you encounter someone who questions your intentions while armed. Also read the other stickies as well. There are 60 pages of "out and about" stories to help you along.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

sictransitgloria wrote:
Alright so here's the deal - just recently bought my first revolver, plan on getting a CPL in the next month or so when I can rustle up the cash. However, when I got my license to purchase the gun at the police station in Mason, they said I SHOULD NOT return with it for safety inspection. At the time, (this all being new to me), I thought "great! easier for me," but after coming back to this site and realizing that the law defines open carry as legal for "a safety inspected handgun" I'm wondering if this is some sort of ingenious plot on the part of the local police to make open carry illegal. I'm sort of afraid that if I open carry without that safety inspection, legally I amat fault. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

**edit: I say "ingenious plot on the part of the local police" with sarcasm, because I really think it is just probably designed for the ease of everyone involved....but still....

***edit #2: I want to start OC'ing right away. I would like to exercise thisright for my own protection, protection of those I love, and because I should have the right to. However, this "saftey inspection" deal is giving me some qualms...
The reason they told you to NOT bring your weapon back for the "safety inspection" is because the "Inspection" part of the our state's handgun registration law was removed, starting in Mid-January.

Now, when you buy a handgun, you mail in the copies of the Permit to Purchase, that the local and state law enforcement are to get. Both copies go to your local LEO office. They will forward the state's copy to them. And FYI, don't expect to get a green registration card in the mail. ;)

viperar15

imported post

Venator wrote:
You must keep the reciept for 30 days, this gives them time to get your gun in the records.
and i will testify that its a pain carrying that card/reciept around with ya if you purchase before you get your CPL.

its the size of like 3x4.5 inch index card.

i finally went to kinko's to lamenate mine since i bought my pistol just before i got my cpl. the reciept for those with a CPL is just a small sheet of paper, the size of the old Green Cards that can just be folded up easily and tossed into a wallet.

i have 10 more days before i can stop carrying my card with me. though when i did register, the state was already behind about 10days getting the information into their systems, so i'll probably stop carrying the card, but at least have it in my car...

sictransitgloria

imported post

Thanks for the receipt clue. I had no idea about that. Random question: I'm trying to decide whether or not to tell people (close friends/family) that I have a gun/am getting a CPL. Pro's/Con's for both? For some reason I feel safer knowing that only me and my lady know, but once I open carry I realize that obviously more people will know. I'm just a bit torn between the secret self-assurance of having a gun for protection of those you love and keeping it just that, and openly fighting for rights that are seemingly to continuously erode before our eyes.

DanM

imported post

sictransitgloria wrote:
I'm trying to decide whether or not to tell people (close friends/family) that I have a gun/am getting a CPL. Pro's/Con's for both?
Pro's for having a gun and/or getting a CPL:

1. You can defend yourself and loved ones instead of cowering in your last moments.
  2. With a CPL, you have a tactical alternative to open carry (which requires no permit).
  3. A CPL makes open carry much more convenient if motor vehicle travel is involved.
  4. A CPL removes almost all state restrictions on where you can open carry.
There are no cons for either having a gun or getting a CPL, as long as you are a responsible adult who desires toliveprepared, in a relaxedand aware state,for self-defense.

I'm just a bit torn between the secret self-assurance of having a gun for protection of those you love and keeping it just that, and openly fighting for rights that are seemingly to continuously erode before our eyes.
You aren't restricted to choosing one or the other for all situations and the rest of your life. With more experience, you will learn that both are options in your tactical toolbox which you may exercise at your discretion. There is a spectrum between "Always carrying concealed" and "Always carrying openly" which most people are in, rather than being at either end.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

My family and most of my friends do know. I only tell others if it's brought up by another person. But I too, as an OCer , think that most know, IF they notice it. I always figure that by me not telling, I'm not making a "big deal" out of it. I hope to show that it is a "normal" activity. I don't inform people if I'm carrying a pocketknife either.

sictransitgloria

imported post

I feel like if I open carry, I have to be in dressed up work attire so people don't see me as a 'hooligan' with a gun. Thats not me being paranoid, just realistic about people's perceptions. I skateboard, so usually wear jeans and beat up shoes and a tee shirt. At work I wear at the very least a tie and dress attire. I feel like seeing me open carry in normal attire would be bad for the 'cause', however unfair to me that may be.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

sictransitgloria wrote:
I feel like if I open carry, I have to be in dressed up work attire so people don't see me as a 'hooligan' with a gun. Thats not me being paranoid, just realistic about people's perceptions. I skateboard, so usually wear jeans and beat up shoes and a tee shirt. At work I wear at the very least a tie and dress attire. I feel like seeing me open carry in normal attire would be bad for the 'cause', however unfair to me that may be.
I hear ya. I don't have a lot of clothing that most people consider "nice". I work in construction. Most of my jeans are pretty well beat up, and most of my shirts are H-D t-shirts, and have been around a while, too. Couple that with my motorcycle boots and all the tattoos on my arms, and the average soccer mom looks at me kinda funny. Put a gun on my belt, and people get a little skittery. I try to look presentable when I carry openly, too, if only for the harassment deterrent. It must work, cuz I have yet to have an issue...

sictransitgloria

imported post

(I've also got a taurus 850 CIA). Have yet to shoot it at the range because I don't have enough money to pay the $18 range time and $20 for some cleaning supplies. Blah.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

sictransitgloria wrote:
(I've also got a taurus 850 CIA). Have yet to shoot it at the range because I don't have enough money to pay the $18 range time and $20 for some cleaning supplies. Blah.
It's a great little revolver. My li'l sis tore up her target with it at 7 and 10 yards. Most of her shots were in the black, and she hadn't shot since basic training 10 years ago. I'm familiar with it, so I shot it well. My buddy bought an M&P 9mm, and was bragging about his grouping, so I got cocky... I ran my target out to 25 yards, and unloaded the cylinder, all 5 shots well inside the head zone. I thought that was spectacular for a snubby. I trust it completely.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

sictransitgloria wrote:
Have you tried Family Shooter's Corral range near Eaton Rapids? It's a semi-enclosed range, and it's been a while since I've been there, but it was under $10.00.

sictransitgloria

imported post

Yeah, I wanted to get something easy to operate/reliable and such for my first and so the lady could shoot it (although getting her to is going to be another story). What kind of ammo do you use for it? Range & carry?

Family Shooter's Corral...never been there. Only place I've been is Total Firearms in Mason. I'll have to check out that place. Thanks man.

viperar15

imported post

sictransitgloria wrote:
whenever i'm out OC'ing its after work. i'll be in jeans, some beatup shoes, and a tshirt. though, when i do oc like that, i try to wear a presentable tshirt (not some tshirt that would cause people to look anyway). usually like plain tshirts, american cancer shirts, 3 stooges, etc.

though i also tuck in my tshirt too and have my leather belt on too. the M&P slide its COLD against the skin if i dont tuck my shirt in.

in winter time then i'll have my fleece on anyway, which is plain black like the gun and then people really dont seem to notice it.

DanM

imported post

sictransitgloria wrote:
I feel like if I open carry, I have to be in dressed up work attire so people don't see me as a 'hooligan' with a gun. . . .

Whilean OC'ersclothingmay bea factor inothers' perceptions, the more decisive factor is the OC'ers behavior. I've OC'd many times in jeans and t-shirt, but kept my friendly personality up and have never had problems.

As I encounter others, I have a smileand ask how their day is going. Iuse "sir" or "ma'am", engage inpositive small talk ("nice weather, eh?"), and depart pleasantly ("have a good day", "thanks for your help"). Even from afar, observers do pick up on cues such as body language andtone of voice, and know whether a situation is to be concerned about or not, most of the time.

viperar15

imported post

i have to agree with danm.

the first couple times i went out, i was nervous as hell. now when i go out, i enjoy joking with people etc. so i do the same as if i were not carrying. the only difference is that i know more about whats going on around and near me instead. besides that, always a smile and just having fun with whoever i'm talking to. no difference in whether carrying or not.