• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms Sales

buster81

imported post

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_StateLaws.shtm

In the state laws, I see only one law regarding the private sale of a firearm.

§18.2-308.2:1 Prohibiting the Selling of Firearms to Felons

The BATF has some requirements as well. http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faqindex.htm

One item seems to be relevant.

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? [Back]

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

So, am I correct in my assesment that my only two requirements arethatIverifya purchaser of one of my firearms isresident of my state (with a drivers license, or other photo id), and I must have no reasonable cause to believe he is prohibited from purchasing the firearm? Or have I missed something?

Edited to clarify question.

darthmord

imported post

That is pretty much it in a nutshell. Many private transactions often have much higher requirements to meet the safety bars set by the seller & the buyer. I've seen people here advertise they were selling for F2Ftransactions and wanted to see a CHP.

hsmith

imported post

Personally, I wouldn't let anyone copy down my address or the ID of my CHP (FOIA request they can get ALL your info), but I wouldn't object to showing them to someone to verify I am "legit" (although lets be serious, it wouldn't be hard to fake a VA CHP!)

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

hsmith wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't let anyone copy down my address or the ID of my CHP (FOIA request they can get ALL your info), but I wouldn't object to showing them to someone to verify I am "legit" (although lets be serious, it wouldn't be hard to fake a VA CHP!)
That's a very common perspective.

People generally don't mind showing DL or CHP, but if you start asking a stranger if you can make copies of his documents, or write down his info, many will say no thanks.

mercutio545

imported post

If I ever sold a firearm in a private sale (which I'm going to be doing soon), I might ask to see a CHP/DL (for peace of mind- it would suck to sell your gun to someone you're not sure of and have it be used in a crime :( ), and the only "document" involved would be a bill of sale.

tripledipper

imported post

All our comfort levels are different, but mine would require a FTFbuyer to possess a valid VACHPand VA DL to conduct a transaction and this still doesnot guarantee that the gun won't wind up in the wrong hands. I think we should be very selectivein private sales, selling to only those who pass the "smell test"and would do so ata lesser price. VA Gun Trader and S&W Forumseem to begood places to find reputable people.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

If someone told me I couldn't write down their address, I wouldn't sell them the gun. I've developed a bill of sale form that doubles as an affidavit in support of in-state non-face-to-face transactions. You can feel free to use it if you like, or take a look to see what I think is required (and this is a minimalist approach designed only to provide proof of ownership and to protect each party from criminal charges for things he didn't have any control over).

http://www.virginialegaldefense.com/PvtHandgunTransferBOS.pdf

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

user wrote:
If someone told me I couldn't write down their address, I wouldn't sell them the gun. I've developed a bill of sale form that doubles as an affidavit in support of in-state non-face-to-face transactions. You can feel free to use it if you like, or take a look to see what I think is required (and this is a minimalist approach designed only to provide proof of ownership and to protect each party from criminal charges for things he didn't have any control over).

http://www.virginialegaldefense.com/PvtHandgunTransferBOS.pdf
Appreciate it - will add to my files.

Yata hey