• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FBI Director Warns of Terror Attacks on U.S. Cities

TatankaGap

imported post

suntzu wrote:
sheepdog wrote:
...Doug, how about the one that's supposed to stop all electronic activity? Would that be a momentary interruption? How widespread would it be? It seems that disrupting our communications would benefit them most...but it would also disrupt theirs...
You are speaking of an Electro Magnetic Pulse blast?
It would take in my opinion an atmospheric nuclear attack from a normal state actor in order for such an event to occur. China, or North Korea would possibly be the two primary aggressors in such a scenario. A non state entity would be unable to have the means to produce such an occurrence, UNLESS the non state actors could gain entrance to a launch facility-highly unlikely, unless they had someone on the inside--OR gain access to a mobile launcher like those which have been used by the Russians for some time--the Topol M for example, is a road mobile launcher...but to gain access to something like that the non state actors would need not only current, actionable intelligence as to where the launcher was deployed, but also the size of the Russian force currently guarding it, their means of communications would obviousy have to be cut so as to prevent signaling for reinforcement, current officer locations, and so on. With enough information a non state actor could conceivably gain access to a Russian mobile launcher--the results of that would be unpleasant to say the least.

I would think an EMP would knock out communications, including all computers--newer automobiles included would all be eliminated in such an event--and I would think the blackout would occur over quite a large area.
According to then CIA head Tenet, an atomic bomb can be had by non-state actors for about $100 million - clearly in their budget range. As far as missiles go, I agree with the above post - especially the threat form North Korea, but it is not beyond the abilities of terrorists to get an atomic bomb, steal a plane and blast it off in the atmosphere - or in a truck near a major piece of Americana or infrastructure (nuke plant, huge dam, etc.) -

If you're really interested about this, I suggest you check out the recent WMD Commission Report (2008), recent pronouncements by the NNSA (mostly to do with fixes that need to be made to foster nuclear security), and there are some good articles available on google by a guy named David Albright (ISIS) -

And even tho, North Korea has missiles, I don't think China would allow them to launch radioactive weapons against the US for fear of ruining their real estate collateral -

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
TatankaGap wrote:
If you were exposed, I understand that it's good to eat lots of seaweed and algae to help process it and maybe use Indian clay to draw it out -

Wondering if your radiation health physics board has any other tips?
Yep. "Time, distance and shielding" and allopathic medicine (contra 'alternative').

For instance, 'exposure' is not 'contamination' is not ingestion.

Radiation and contamination are well explained by the allegory of "Dog Poo on Your Shoe". Dog poo on your shoe is contamination. The stink of dog poo is its radiation out into space. Do not ever ingest dog poo. The contamination can be prevented by the use of personal protective equipment like galoshes.

Exposure to the stink can be avoided by staying far enough away (distance), only sniffing it briefly (time) or covering it with shielding.

If you are contaminated then shower with lots of soap and detergent and water (dilution is the solution to pollution).

If you ingest dog poo then puke it out, piss it out and crap it out at the highest rate possible. How long each atom of poo stays inside you is a measure of badness. Eating poo like atoms will help replace the bad poo atoms with good atoms.

Sorry fot the threadjack, but....

Doug, are you an ex-nuke? The poo on the shoe analogy is what we taught nubbly officers at Charleston when I was an instructor.

Regards,

Pol

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

and here comes the Liberal push that all gun owners are domestic terrorists....

When they come for mine, I won't be a domestic terrorist. A terrorist seeks to spread, duh, terror. The only one who need fear me, is the one trying to take my gun...

So if that makes me a domestic terrorist, I wear the label with pride.