• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age to OC

Mykal

imported post

I Found it!

http://www.opencarry.org/ca.html

Minimum Age to OC

i am new here but i found this :

http://www.calgunlaws.com/index.php/faq/65-transportation-of-firearms/275-can-a-minor-under-18-years-of-age-legally-possess-a-firearm-and-ammunition-at-the-same-time.html

Can a minor (under 18, years of age) legally possess a firearm and ammunition at the same time?

Written by Administrator

Monday, 29 November 1999 16:00

Yes, but restrictions apply. A minor may have a rifle or shotgun in his or her possession, but not a handgun, unless he or she has the "prior written consent" of his or her parent or legal guardian or is accompanied by his or her parent or legal guardian. Furnishing any firearm to a minor without the appropriate permission of the minor's parent or legal guardian is illegal. Section 12078(p) P.C. A minor may not possess any live rifle, shotgun, or handgun ammunition without the written consent or accompaniment of his or her parent or legal guardian, except while going to or from an organized lawful recreational or competitive shooting activity or lawful hunting activity. Section 12101 (a) and (b) P.C.

Last Updated ( Monday, 16 February 2009 14:32 )

I also found this from the Handgun Safety Cert for California

[align=left]Possession of a Handgun or Live Ammunition by Minors

[/align]
[align=left]It is unlawful for a minor to possess a handgun or live ammunition unless one
[/align]
[align=left]of the following circumstances exists:

[/align]
[align=left]•
The minor is accompanied by his or her parent or legal guardian and the
[/align]
[align=left]minor is actively engaged in a lawful recreational sporting, ranching or[/align]
[align=left]hunting activity, or a motion picture, television or other entertainment
[/align]
[align=left]event;
[/align]
[align=left]•
The minor is accompanied by a responsible adult and has prior written
[/align]
[align=left]consent of his or her parent or legal guardian and is involved in one[/align]
[align=left]of the activities cited above; and
[/align]
[align=left]•
The minor is at least 16 years of age, has prior written consent of his
[/align]
[align=left]or her parent or legal guardian, and the minor is involved in one of
the activities cited above (PC section 12101).[/align]
[align=left]__________[/align]
[align=left]From the Turner's Outdoorsman site (even though this does not anwser your question)[/align]
[align=left]1. What is the minimum legal age to purchase a firearm in California?[/align]

[align=left](a). 18 years of age for rifles or shotguns
(b). 21 years of age for handguns

Federal Law prohibits the sale of shotguns that are transferred with a pistol-grip only to persons under 21 years old (FFL Newsletter, August 1998)

[/align]​

poothrowingape

imported post

Mykal wrote:

Federal Law prohibits the sale of shotguns that are transferred with a pistol-grip only to persons under 21 years old (FFL Newsletter, August 1998)

ya i bought a shotgun from my brother and it had a pistol grip. I had to drive back to big 5 and change the stock for them and let them know in so many words that doing that was moot because i was going to change it back anyway. Even though i didnt...I got a folding stock for it instead. i figured a folding stock has the best of both worlds and it really upped the cool factor.

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
Mykal wrote:

ya i bought a shotgun from my brother and it had a pistol grip. I had to drive back to big 5 and change the stock for them and let them know in so many words that doing that was moot because i was going to change it back anyway. Even though i didnt...I got a folding stock for it instead. i figured a folding stock has the best of both worlds and it really upped the cool factor.

Be very, very, very, very careful. I don't know the exact CA PC on folding stocks, but I BELIEVE they are illegal. Also shotguns with forend hand grips. Don't take my word for it, look it up. I'll try and dig around later when I have more time, but until you know for sure that it's legal.... LEAVE IT AT HOME! And don't tell anybody that it's got a folding stock either.

As always, be safe, make sure you know the EXACT law, and if you are following the law to a 'T'.... Don't let anybody (LEO) bully you around. Know the law, know your rights.

Good luck, and God bless...

poothrowingape

imported post

fighting_for_freedom wrote:
poothrowingape wrote:
Mykal wrote:

Be very, very, very, very careful. I don't know the exact CA PC on folding stocks, but I BELIEVE they are illegal. Also shotguns with forend hand grips. Don't take my word for it, look it up. I'll try and dig around later when I have more time, but until you know for sure that it's legal.... LEAVE IT AT HOME! And don't tell anybody that it's got a folding stock either.

As always, be safe, make sure you know the EXACT law, and if you are following the law to a 'T'.... Don't let anybody (LEO) bully you around. Know the law, know your rights.

Good luck, and God bless...

I looked them up after painstaking searching through endless volumes of Ca penal code. Folding stocks and forend gripsare only illegal on semi auto shotguns. mines a pump.

The law said something along the lines of a semi auto shotgun may not have 2 grips(handles perpendicular to the shotgun).

I do have a forend grip but i swiched it out to only the folding stock because the fore grip just felt too flimsy.

poothrowingape

imported post

Just as long as it took me to find it the first time, heres my citation: there are 8 definitions of assaultweapons in 12276.1but i only gave the 3 pertaining to shotguns

[align=left]The term
assault weapon” also means any firearm that falls under one of the following definitions...[/align]

[align=left]pursuant to Penal Code section 12276.1:[/align]

[align=left]....(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:[/align]

[align=left] (A) A folding or telescoping stock.[/align]

[align=left] (B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,[/align]

[align=left] thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.[/align]

[align=left](7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.[/align]

(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

I looked this up in my current 2009 addition and it checks out

P.S. sorry but i dont know how to get rid of double spaceing.

r6-rider

imported post

"Federal Law prohibits the sale of shotguns that are transferred with a pistol-grip only to persons under 21 years old (FFL Newsletter, August 1998) "

wtf?? where is that a federal law? i was just handling a pistol grip shotgun with the intent the buy it and the FFL didnt say anything about it. i also just witnessed my friend (19) buy an AR with a "pistol grip" no problem there. this sounds like a typical BS california law