• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Employers are trying to prevent legal carry

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have done some research on employers policies concerning weapons in private vehicles. All their policies say that weapons of any kind can not be on their property, even if they are legally carried in your vehicle. I can't find any laws stating that it is legal for companies to impose such rules on anyone.

We need to get something passed that protects us. Like the law in Florida that was won against Disneyworld.

I hope anyone from AZCDL can help us protect our rights.

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

These employers are infringing on our ability to protect ourselves, to and from work. The argument that " just keep it out of sight in your ride, and it will be fine." is what we don't need. We need clear legal verbiage, stating our right.

http://www.flemploymentlawblog.com/articles/workplace-violence/

This explains a good portion of the goings on in Florida and why we need it here in AZ

Also including the email sent to the Attorney General.

""Hello,

I have a question regarding storage of a firearm, in a personal vehicle at my place of employment. My employer has a policy that prohibits firearms on the premises. They state in the employee handbook, they reserve the right to search and inspect any employee's vehicle on the property for drugs, alcohol, stolen intellectual property, and weapons. I am interested in finding out if that policy infringes on the rights of the employees' protection, both to and from their place of employment; and for personal property outside of the work place. I can see prohibiting firearms upon entering the place of work, such as in Federal and State buildings; but not securely stowed, and lawfully kept in their vehicle. It seems contrary to the laws of the State of Arizona, to reserve the right to search our property and prohibit lawful possession, and transport of a firearm for the employees protection in their personal vehicle. Please help me to understand how the law views this.

Thank you in advance.""

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

They are, check out HB 2474 - Bill introduced for 2009

HB2474 - Prevents any private or public employer, property owner, etc. from banning any person from keeping a firearm in a locked vehicle in a parking area on the property, with specific, limited exceptions.

--------------------- Site Owner --------------
site_logo.png

AZCDL Member
NRA Member

Dahwg

imported post

Yup Nappy vetoed something very similar last year. But now that BarryO's got her, :celebrate-- he can keep her!!!!