• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

long gun oc in truck

ODA 226

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
Bottom line: unless you are on foot, in most localities in Virginia a long gun in a vehicle will have to be unloaded even if it is clearly in the open. Once you take it out of the vehicle you can lock and load and open carry it (I'd suggest it be slung, however)
Unless you have a CHP. I find this rather strange...not in a bad way of course but strange nevertheless.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Reverend73 wrote:
Bottom line: unless you are on foot, in most localities in Virginia a long gun in a vehicle will have to be unloaded even if it is clearly in the open. Once you take it out of the vehicle you can lock and load and open carry it (I'd suggest it be slung, however)
Unless you have a CHP. I find this rather strange...not in a bad way of course but strange nevertheless.
What? A CHP does not get you out of the requirement for having the rifle or shotgun carried in a vehicle be unloaded. A CHP only lets you oc a long gun with a magazine that holds more than 20 rounds, or a shotgun that holds more than 7 rounds of the longest ammo for which it is chambered, or is equipped with a folding stock or threaded barrel.

bayboy42

imported post

And this doesn't go against premption because VA code says that localities have the right to restrict this ("expressly authorized")??!!??

Reverend73 wrote:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
And this doesn't go against premption because VA code says that localities have the right to restrict this ("expressly authorized")??!!??

Reverend73 wrote:

I'm only counting 6 localities that have enforceable ordinances. That's not counting assault type rifles and shotguns.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
I'm only counting 6 localities that have enforceable ordinances. That's not counting assault type rifles and shotguns.

Oooo, you're correct. And good 'ole norfolk isn't even on the list. ;)

FYI, this is the official list from the DGIF

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/local-ordinances.pdf
According to DGIF, it is a summary..(Of all Game Laws) but the list is all inclusive. I think I'll do an Freedom of Information requestfor the official list. I'll bet there is no difference.

Elkad

imported post

What? A CHP does not get you out of the requirement for having the rifle or shotgun carried in a vehicle be unloaded. A CHP only lets you oc a long gun with a magazine that holds more than 20 rounds, or a shotgun that holds more than 7 rounds of the longest ammo for which it is chambered, or is equipped with a folding stock or threaded barrel.

So you can "Israeli carry" your rifle with the mag out, but if you have a >20rnd mag, you need a CHP.

(mentally insert the well-known picture of the IDF girls ordering ice cream with slung M16s here, I'm too lazy to link it)

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Elkad wrote:

So you can "Israeli carry" your rifle with the mag out, but if you have a >20rnd mag, you need a CHP.

(mentally insert the well-known picture of the IDF girls ordering ice cream with slung M16s here, I'm too lazy to link it)
No, you can open carry (on foot) any rifle or shotgun(fully loaded)that doesn't have any of the above restrictions (>20rd mags, threaded barrel, etc). However, if it has any of those restrictions, you need a CHP to open carry it (on foot). In a vehicle, in some jurisdictions, the long gun must be unloaded, whether or not it is in the open.

Thundar

imported post

DGIF Local Ordnance List
Applicable Towns, Cities and Counties

19. It is unlawful to transport, possess or
carry a loaded rifle in any vehicle
while on the road from October 1
through February 15.

Southampton

21. It is unlawful to transport or possess
a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle on
the road from October 1 through Feb.

Greenville

22. It is unlawful to possess a loaded
firearm on the road except when permission
to hunt is obtained from
landowners on each side.

Campbell, Chesterfield, Culpepper, Fauquier, Greenville, King George, Loudon, Nelson, Orange

23. It is unlawful to transport or possess
a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle on
the road from sundown to sunrise.

Gouchland

30. It is unlawful to carry a loaded
firearm on the road or on the right-ofway.

Chesapeake

34. It is unlawful to transport or possess
a loaded shotgun or rifle in a vehicle
on a road during open deer season.

Orange

37. It is unlawful for minors to carry
firearms on public highways or public
lands unless accompanied by certain
adults.

Fauquier

54. It is unlawful to transport, possess, or
carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in any
vehicle on any public street, road or
highway.

Albemarle, Chesterfield, Culpepper, Danville, Fauquier, James City, King George, Madison, New Kent, Northumbridge, Petersburg, Richmond (city), Roanoke, Stafford, Surry, Virginia Beach, Warren, Williamsburg

68. It shall be unlawful for any person to
transport, possess or carry a loaded
shotgun, rifle, pistol, or firearm of
any nature in any vehicle or on his
person over, along or on any public
street, road or highway in the city.

Poquoson (city)

Thundar

imported post

[size=Code of Virginia][/size]

Title 15.2 - COUNTIES, CITIES AND TOWNS.

Chapter 9 - General Powers of Local Governments

§ 15.2-915.2. Regulation of transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun.

The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Conservation police officers, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business.

(1976, c. 506, § 18.2-287.1; 1977, c. 377; 1989, c. 50; 2004, c. 462.)

Chapter 12 - General Powers and Procedures of Counties

§ 15.2-1209.1. Counties may regulate carrying of loaded firearms on public highways.

The governing body of any county is hereby empowered to adopt ordinances making it unlawful for any person to carry or have in his possession, for the purpose of hunting, while on any part of a public highway within such county a loaded firearm when such person is not authorized to hunt on the private property on both sides of the highway along which he is standing or walking; and to provide a penalty for violation of such ordinance not to exceed a fine of $100. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons carrying loaded firearms in moving vehicles or for purposes other than hunting, or to persons acting at the time in defense of persons or property.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-272; 1975, cc. 14, 15, § 18.2-287; 2004, c. 462; 2007, c. 203.)