Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Raging gun fight' in Wapato

Post imported post

Guns were fired and reloaded and fired again, innocent teen in a nearby house hit in the face.
    This is why you should carry extra clips.

http://www.kimatv.com/news/local/400...#idc-container

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories...nt-wapato-teen

State Researcher

Post imported post

Ack, gotta love gang violence.

And now I'm going to be a jerk...

I carry spare "clips" for my SKS and Mosin Nagnat
    I carry spare "magazines" for my handgun
    Clips load magazines :P

Post imported post

It's a colloquialism. Jerk.

State Researcher

Post imported post

cynicist wrote:
    I said I was gonna be a jerk...

Honestly, common incorrect usage does not make something correct. With that philosophy I might as well shoot my handgun sideways. Or get a C-96 Mauser pistol which actually is clip fed.

Post imported post

It's a colloquialism.
    Sure, but it's one well worth pushing back against.

Post imported post

cynicist wrote:
    You're right... the media since the 1930's has called mags "clips" and has indoctrinated the general populous into calling them "clips", meaning most folk are just ignorant of the difference.

You're on a gun board... you should know better.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Once a colloquialism becomes an accepted term for something it takes on that definition.

For example, Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary 11th Edition defines a clip as: "A magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm."

No, I don't have anything better to be doing right now, why do you ask?

Post imported post

You're welcome to bring forth all the "evidence" and modern colloquialisms to back your position as you wish....

...but at the end of the day, you, me, and the rest of the board all know what the correct usage is and that you made an error.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

bah!

I just realized I got a thing I should be doing, or else I would prove beyond a doubt that it is perfectly ok to refer to a magazine as a clip.

Post imported post

Indeed. Its important to make sure you have extra BULLETS in those CLIPS, just incase you run out of SHELLS in the MAGAZINE in your REVOLVER!

Post imported post

I think we have gotten just a smidgen off topic:P

Post imported post

sempercarry wrote:
    I think we have gotten just a smidgen off topic:P
    ....back on topic....

YAKIMA HAS GANGS!? Holy Shnikies! They are in the middle of nowhere!

I guess it makes sense. Large city in the middle of no where with little or nothing for its teens and young adults to do. Passing through there I have always seen a large portion of the roaming teen population parked at fast food restaurants and cruising up and down the main streets, but never figured there to be organized gangs.

Post imported post

Early in my Navy career working as a SERE instructor I was checking out an M14 for student harassment, the gunner handed me the several boxes of blank rounds and mags, I asked him for a spare clip and got my ass handed to me. Never forget the difference again.
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Yakima has had gang problems for a long time and gun violence for a long time too. My brother used to work and live there for awhile and he had some bad stories from there. If there ever is a case to be armed it is Yakima and having guns helped him out in some sketchy situations there.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

FMCDH wrote:

YAKIMA HAS GANGS!?
    It had gangs back in 1986 whenI was stationed there.
    It also had a high per capitia STD rate.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

I used to work for a computer sales and service company based out of Union Gap. They'd call me in from Kennewick to service customers in the really dangerous parts of Yakima cause I was the only tech with the cajones and/or dumb enough to do so. EVERYTHING in that part of town is covered in gang graffitti and I heard enough gangsta rap to last me a lifetime. Police patrols in those areas are few and far between. I carried back then just for that job alone.

Post imported post

Anyone watch that show on History Channel called Gangland? Seems like gangs can and will se tup shop anywhere. They are like any business and if there is a need for some misguided people to "belong" to a group and be "tough", or if there is need for illicit activities, there will be agang ready to provide. Gangs or not, there are always dangerous people out there, whether it be a dusty old town or a bustling metropolis.

NavyLT, shells are usually for shotguns. I guess you put shells into The Judge, though. And yes, rounds is the correct word, not boolets. Plus revolvers have chambers, not magazines. I suppose the speedloaders could be considered clips? I've never used one, but it does seem that the rounds clip onto them. But if clips feed rounds into magazines and magazines feed rounds into the gun, speedloaders may not be, because they don't put rounds into a magazine... Too much thinking!!!

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    You're welcome to bring forth all the "evidence" and modern colloquialisms to back your position as you wish....

...but at the end of the day, you, me, and the rest of the board all know what the correct usage is and that you made an error.
    Arguing this point over the forum is like running in the special olympics, even if you win you're still a retard. Join the real world.

Post imported post

But... but...

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    cynicist wrote:
    You're right... the media since the 1930's has called mags "clips" and has indoctrinated the general populous into calling them "clips", meaning most folk are just ignorant of the difference.
    Frankly I could care less if they started calling them kumquats instead of mags. What really pi$$es me off is the media that insists on calling an AR an "Assault Rifle" (probably because of the initials which actually stand for Armalite Model 15). Once the media gets it wrong you can bet that Politicians surely improve on the ignorance of the "Fourth Estate".

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

madcapmag wrote:
    Indeed. Its important to make sure you have extra BULLETS in those CLIPS, just incase you run out of SHELLS in the MAGAZINE in your REVOLVER!

Is that revolver an automatic?

Post imported post

irfner wrote:
    madcapmag wrote:

Is that revolver an automatic?
    Of course by "automatic" you mean full-auto. :quirky

Post imported post

YAKIMA HAS GANGS!? Holy Shnikies! They are in the middle of nowhere!
    The Yakima Valley I have heard has the second highest gang membership per capita in the country, but that's not from a reliable source.
    Last week, at the pretty much weekly town gang forums, the police estimated there is between 300 and 1000 active gang members in Sunnyside (where I live,) and that's not counting the associates and dropouts. Sunnyside only has 13,000 people.
    What's scary about the middle of nowhere is the lack of police presence. That's why I started carrying in the first place. I used to live in Seattle, and was secure with just my hands and maybe a box cutter (which I used at work of course) but since I moved here I carry two sidearms and if I go walking anywhere I night I wear kevlar.

Channel 9 did a thing on gang violence in the Valley. If you remember the anti-gang law that was passed last year- it started in Sunnyside. The police chief in this video claims that it worked (I beg to differ) because for a couple weeks after passing the Sunnyside law shootings dropped from three a week to zero a week. They're now back to three or so. Look up "Sunnyside" in Googlenews, and there's always something about gang violence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lox0BN8mh9M

Post imported post

From one of the articles on the "raging gunfight":

Sergio Salinas said doctors told him the bullet broke his brother's jaw, traveled down his spine and may have lodged near his kidney.

Holy crap!!!!! Now that's some penetration, if it's true!

Post imported post

Mad Pick wrote:
    From one of the articles on the "raging gunfight":

Sergio Salinas said doctors told him the bullet broke his brother's jaw, traveled down his spine and may have lodged near his kidney.

Holy crap!!!!! Now that's some penetration, if it's true!
    Why is it always the "accidental" gun shots that seem to do the circus tricks in the body?!

:?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast