• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Raging gun fight' in Wapato

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Ack, gotta love gang violence.

And now I'm going to be a jerk...

I carry spare "clips" for my SKS and Mosin Nagnat
I carry spare "magazines" for my handgun
Clips load magazines :p

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

cynicist wrote:
It's a colloquialism. Jerk.
I said I was gonna be a jerk...

Honestly, common incorrect usage does not make something correct. With that philosophy I might as well shoot my handgun sideways. Or get a C-96 Mauser pistol which actually is clip fed.

just_a_car

imported post

cynicist wrote:
You're right... the media since the 1930's has called mags "clips" and has indoctrinated the general populous into calling them "clips", meaning most folk are just ignorant of the difference.

You're on a gun board... you should know better.

cynicist

imported post

Once a colloquialism becomes an accepted term for something it takes on that definition.

For example, Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary 11th Edition defines a clip as: "A magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm."

No, I don't have anything better to be doing right now, why do you ask?

just_a_car

imported post

You're welcome to bring forth all the "evidence" and modern colloquialisms to back your position as you wish....

...but at the end of the day, you, me, and the rest of the board all know what the correct usage is and that you made an error.

cynicist

imported post

bah!

I just realized I got a thing I should be doing, or else I would prove beyond a doubt that it is perfectly ok to refer to a magazine as a clip.

FMCDH

imported post

sempercarry wrote:
I think we have gotten just a smidgen off topic:p

....back on topic....

YAKIMA HAS GANGS!? Holy Shnikies! They are in the middle of nowhere!

I guess it makes sense. Large city in the middle of no where with little or nothing for its teens and young adults to do. Passing through there I have always seen a large portion of the roaming teen population parked at fast food restaurants and cruising up and down the main streets, but never figured there to be organized gangs.

jbone

imported post

Early in my Navy career working as a SERE instructor I was checking out an M14 for student harassment, the gunner handed me the several boxes of blank rounds and mags, I asked him for a spare clip and got my ass handed to me. Never forget the difference again.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Yakima has had gang problems for a long time and gun violence for a long time too. My brother used to work and live there for awhile and he had some bad stories from there. If there ever is a case to be armed it is Yakima and having guns helped him out in some sketchy situations there.

Tekman

imported post

I used to work for a computer sales and service company based out of Union Gap. They'd call me in from Kennewick to service customers in the really dangerous parts of Yakima cause I was the only tech with the cajones and/or dumb enough to do so. EVERYTHING in that part of town is covered in gang graffitti and I heard enough gangsta rap to last me a lifetime. Police patrols in those areas are few and far between. I carried back then just for that job alone.

madcapmag

imported post

Anyone watch that show on History Channel called Gangland? Seems like gangs can and will se tup shop anywhere. They are like any business and if there is a need for some misguided people to "belong" to a group and be "tough", or if there is need for illicit activities, there will be agang ready to provide. Gangs or not, there are always dangerous people out there, whether it be a dusty old town or a bustling metropolis.

NavyLT, shells are usually for shotguns. I guess you put shells into The Judge, though. And yes, rounds is the correct word, not boolets. Plus revolvers have chambers, not magazines. I suppose the speedloaders could be considered clips? I've never used one, but it does seem that the rounds clip onto them. But if clips feed rounds into magazines and magazines feed rounds into the gun, speedloaders may not be, because they don't put rounds into a magazine... Too much thinking!!! :banghead::lol:

Spaceman Spiff

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
You're welcome to bring forth all the "evidence" and modern colloquialisms to back your position as you wish....

...but at the end of the day, you, me, and the rest of the board all know what the correct usage is and that you made an error.
Arguing this point over the forum is like running in the special olympics, even if you win you're still a retard. Join the real world.

amlevin

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
cynicist wrote:
You're right... the media since the 1930's has called mags "clips" and has indoctrinated the general populous into calling them "clips", meaning most folk are just ignorant of the difference.

Frankly I could care less if they started calling them kumquats instead of mags. What really pi$$es me off is the media that insists on calling an AR an "Assault Rifle" (probably because of the initials which actually stand for Armalite Model 15). Once the media gets it wrong you can bet that Politicians surely improve on the ignorance of the "Fourth Estate".