• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where is NM ammo?

snoball

imported post

Is it just me or are all the shelves empty of ammo recently? I have checked all the WalMarts and Sportsmans Warehouse and you can hardly see any supplies of ammo---especially handgun ammo. Was there a run on ammo after the election and the manufacturers have not caught up?? If you have not been shopping for ammo, go take a look!

Nitrox314

imported post

snoball wrote:
Is it just me or are all the shelves empty of ammo recently? I have checked all the WalMarts and Sportsmans Warehouse and you can hardly see any supplies of ammo---especially handgun ammo. Was there a run on ammo after the election and the manufacturers have not caught up?? If you have not been shopping for ammo, go take a look!
Well with the huge increase in gun sales, you can imagine that ammo is down as well. The Wal-Mart in Rio Rancho still has a bunch of .40SW, but its prettymuch out of everything else.

RogueWarrior

imported post

You can try big 5 sporting or Calibers gun shop or Los Ranchos gun shop on 4th Street Northwest Albuquerque

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I buy my ammo online. Even with shipping, there are good deals to be had, even if the online dealerhas a delay getting orders out-the-door due to huge numbers of orders coming in. Plus, no sales tax.

Lately, I've been shopping http://www.ammunitiontogo.com and after 3 orders with them, am pleased with the experience. I also got some ammo from http://www.sportsmansguide.com, and one order from http://www.jgsales.com.

I just don't buy ammo locally, even if we had places here that sold it (besides Walmart). I even order guns online.

Of course, here in Galveston after Hurricane Ike, most businesses still have not repopened, but we only had 1 gun store (kind of) before Ike and that is gone now. As for Walmart and Academy Sports (if they sell ammo), I don't know what they have but I like the much better selection I find online anyway.

-- John D.

snoball

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
I buy my ammo online. Even with shipping, there are good deals to be had, even if the online dealerhas a delay getting orders out-the-door due to huge numbers of orders coming in. Plus, no sales tax.

Lately, I've been shopping http://www.ammunitiontogo.com and after 3 orders with them, am pleased with the experience. I also got some ammo from http://www.sportsmansguide.com, and one order from http://www.jgsales.com.

I just don't buy ammo locally, even if we had places here that sold it (besides Walmart). I even order guns online.

Of course, here in Galveston after Hurricane Ike, most businesses still have not repopened, but we only had 1 gun store (kind of) before Ike and that is gone now. As for Walmart and Academy Sports (if they sell ammo), I don't know what they have but I like the much better selection I find online anyway.

-- John D.
How do the prices work out on 9MM and 45ACP when you factor in the shipping to the online price? I have not ordered online fearing that shipping costs would double the price of the heavy ammo? Any examples of prices including shipping to NM? Thanks for the helpful post.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

snoball,

You would have to go to those (and other) ammo-selling websites and find out EXACTLY what the cost would be out-the-door since each vendor would have slightly different pricing on ammo costs and shipping (and if they are in your state, they'd add sales tax on top).

But if you REALLY want cheap ammo, make it yourself: Reload!

I am not rich but I don't worry about pinching pennies on "serious" purchases. As I said, for mebuying ammo online is convenient, I get many choices (and get some brands/types of ammoNOT carried locally, such as Aguila), and by comparing online vendors pricing/shipping costs I get the best price -- but I will also go with a vendor I know to be hassle-free and reliable, even if they cost more than an untried/questionable vendor havingthe LOWEST ammo prices.

I do not know how much I would save (if any) over buying locally -- I don't care about that. But evenlocally (Walmart)prices have been going up and I still have to pay sales tax. So FOR ME, buying online is the ONLY way to go.

So in YOUR case, just go to some ammo-selling websites, add stuff to your cart, click on the "shipping" link so you can calculate shipping BEFORE you continue processing your order (don't pay yet), and if you think it's not a good deal for YOU, then just delete your cart. You haven't lost anything except your time there but even then that will have been educational.

Ijust give you options and point you in the right direction, but it's up to you todo the leg work.

Good luck,

-- John D.

P.S.

If you CAN"T GET ammo locally, then what is the"$$ savings" there over buying online? None.

I hardly ever shoot, so I just buy ammo to stock up to a certain point and then stop. Or, when I get a new gun (like I just did for my Texas CHL class soon) and it's a NEW caliber (I don't already have) and I need two.30 or .50 caliber GI ammo cans worth of ammo for it (that's my rule: two cans of ammo per gun is enough for me -- .30 cal. cans for handguns and .50 cal. cans for longguns). So I buy ammo online NOT to shoot lots of it, but to put away -- like down here in serious on-the-beach Hurricane Country where it's good to have afterwardswhen you have no power, no city water, police stretched thin (and debris-filled roadsmake it so even if you COULD get through on your cell phone (we couldn't as the cell-towers were out or blocked by FEMA) they can't get to you promptly or even at all -- we were on our own), a serious looter threat (considering the # of lowlifes here in the ghettos), etc.. The guns andammoare part of my"emergency supplies stores" along with all my food, water and such.

So my buying ammo recentlyhas nothingto towith President Obama, unlike most buyersI guess. I just wanted to get some hard-to-find HP ammofor my two 7.62x25 Tokarevs and some HPs and FMJs for my new CHL 9mm carry gun...that's all (and for years now Walmart does not carry some of my preferred .22LR ammo, so I have to get THAT online, too). I couldn't care less about the Democrats and what they might or might not do re: gun issues.Besides, as long as you have ONE gun, it can get you all the other guns you want in a SHTF scenario (in my case, AFTER a serious hurricane like we had here with Ike...and the next hurricane season here starts June 1st -- Iam expecting another big one (or more).

-- JD

snoball

imported post

Well, the ammo shortage has gotten big enough to draw KOAT Channel 7 to do a big story on it last nite (March 22, 2009). They talked about empty shelves everywhere. They interviewed people from Gun Shows, Sheriff Darren White and others. They said the run on guns has never been this big. Ammo for the LEO's is backordered two months! The blame was put squarely on the fear of Obama anti-gun policies.

I was able to get four boxes of my favorite handgun ammo at WalMart last week, but they are still out now. Makes you wonder why the ammo manufactureres are not working 24 x 7 on overtime to make a killing on the market. Seems withcompanies laying off workers, they have an opportunity to hire and run the factories around the clock to make double their normal revenue!

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes, the ammo companies should be EXPANDING and hiring many more employees, not cutting back...that's just sound business sense!

Something is going on we do not know about I suspect, such as a covert "Executive Order" to cut production to the civilian market?

Maybe it is a vastLeft Wing conspiracy? :shock:

-- John D.

Border Bob

imported post

New Deal in Deming has a pretty good selection when nobody else does. Check them out. They're just off Rockhound Rd, open Wed-Sat.

Desert Dweller

imported post

Certainly not at the Wally World in Alamogordo. Dave's Guns had a decent selection last time I was in there, but it wasn't cheap, I am glad I reload.

Nitrox314

imported post

Goto AC Firearms in Rio Rancho. They have a small variety. bunches of .22, .40, .270, 7.62, 12 and 20 ga. There are probably more, but I wasn't really looking.I haven't been there in a month, but they just started up not too long ago. They are off of Southern between Rio Rancho Blvd and Unser on the southern side of the road. The employees all OC there.

They also have a good assortment of used guns there. I bought my Remington 870 and a AR-15 lower there. I also saw a remington version of the M-14 brand new. I think it was something like 1300 bucks over my limit though.

Border Bob

imported post

I was in New Deal in Deming yesterday. They had some 762.39 when nobody else does. They have a range and a policy of "Shoot it before you buy it", which I think is great. If you haven't gone in, you need to, if only to meet the owners, Rick and Terri. They're good people.

Nitrox314

imported post

I just got some Federal .22 LR from the Wal-Mart near the Cottonwood Mall in WestABQ. 50 rounds for a buck and a half. Sportsman's warehouse and the Rio Rancho Wal-Mart didn't have any .22 ammunition. The guy behind the counter at the Cottonwood Wal-Mart said he ordered a bunchof boxesof the Federal .22 and he was running out. Sounds like he was going to try to order some more in. This Wal-Mart also still sells guns (I know many have stopped doing this), so its worth stopping by if your heading out to the area.

Also, if your looking for used guns in good condition, I would suggest stopping by AC Firearms soon. They have many shotguns, rifles, handguns of all calibers used and good prices. (I have bought 4 of my guns from them so far, and will continue to do so). Of note, I saw a WWII Japanese rifle ($99), A .50 cal Sniper Rifle (abt $2300), and a .44 Mag Desert Eagle ($899). I wish I had more money. I bought aused .22 LR, a Winchester Model 190. Some online places selling it for $250. I got for $140 in excellent condition. Everytime I go in there they have different guns on the used gun rack (It's in the middle of the room so you can handle all you want).They also told me that they are getting a gunsmith in this past Friday and they have all the equipment to build their own guns back there. Worth taking a look. They are down the road about a block from August Arms on Southern Blvd in Rio Rancho. From 528 its down the hill on the left after you pass Golf Course Rd.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It seems like I won't be able to afford a trip to visit my sister in Rio Rancho this May/June as I had planned (putting $$$ instead into a solar-panel emergency backup power system for hurricane season here) but IAM expecting to vist in December for Christmas (as per regular visiting schedule).

Will need to go by AC Firearms then and check them out...if I (and my car) survive this hurricane season that is. ;)

-- John D.

RogueWarrior

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
It seems like I won't be able to afford a trip to visit my sister in Rio Rancho this May/June as I had planned (putting $$$ instead into a solar-panel emergency backup power system for hurricane season here) but IAM expecting to vist in December for Christmas (as per regular visiting schedule).

Will need to go by AC Firearms then and check them out...if I (and my car) survive this hurricane season that is. ;)

-- John D.
Where about is it in Rio Rancho