• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time OCing

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
Locking case, printed info, map of local schools, check check check. Recorder... I have my phone. Phone has a full internet browser so I can get more info online if needed. I'm at starbuck, no issues, returned domething at frys, no issues. When I walked into starbucks a guy stared till I was done ordering, no cops yet though. I think I'm dressed pretty well and I'm clean shaved and all, I'm guessing people think I'm authorized. I've noticed myself paying more attention to traffic laws to avoid conflict.
My hat is off to you.
I'm in Starbuck's regularly and in Fry's half a dozen times, no issues.
Last night I was in Food-4-Less (supermarket) and a clerk noticed my sidearm. His response was: "Wow, a 1911 A1, that's what I carry". High-five and on my way.:D

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Congratulations on your first OC.

I think I would leave the map of area schools at home.

And aside from assuming you are 'authorized' there is the side effect of folks extending greater courtesy than one would generally expect. It should make us nicer too.

prcE6

imported post

By all means, insert an empty mag into the gun. Most of us do. Like you said, it gives the impression that it is loaded, and also serves to keep crap out of the mag well.

flintlock tom

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
why leave the school map at home? also... is there anything against putting an unloaded mag in my gun while ocing? i dont want it to be obvious that im unloaded
As far as leaving the map at home: the law makes allowances for not being expected to know where every "school" is in your community. If you have a map marking all the schools and you're caught within 1000' of one, you will have a hard time pleading ignorance.
I carry an unloaded mag in my 1911 and two loaded ones in a mag pouch. I also carry loaded around my house. When I go out I unload the mag and leave the cartridges on the mantle. A couple weeks ago I was in Costco and couldn't remember unloading my mag. I found a deserted aisle and checked. Oops, I had been walking around loaded. I stripped out the cartridges and put them in my pocket.
Be careful and remember rule 1.

Army

imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
I found a deserted aisle and checked. Oops, I had been walking around loaded. I stripped out the cartridges and put them in my pocket.
Tom, remember Rule #1 at Costco:

With immense camera security....there are no deserted aisles!

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Army wrote:
flintlock tom wrote:
I found a deserted aisle and checked. Oops, I had been walking around loaded. I stripped out the cartridges and put them in my pocket.
Tom, remember Rule #1 at Costco:

With immense camera security....there are no deserted aisles!
Plus costco has a no gun policy.....not that I don't discourage carrying there.....there just has been some problems here in Washington.

flintlock tom

imported post

Yeah, one of our people down here had an issue with Costco, too. I have carried in the local Costco half a dozen times with no issues, but I expect someone to notice eventually.
I Use a Serpa Blackhawk holster so I was able to slide out the mag without pulling the gun from the holster. I imagine it would have been hard to tell what I was doing on a security camera.