Thread: City of Kirkland

Post imported post

Attached is the training memo sent to PD. Below is the note from the city attorney.

The KPD actually issued a training memo on Feb 6 while I was away from the office on vacation. A copy is attached. There is a typo in the last paragraph in which RCW 9.41.300 is referred to as .030. I have called it to the KPD’s attention.

Post imported post

good thing there is no .030 in the mean time.....

Post imported post

I'm glad to see that Mr. Rey actually sent a memo to the department. I do give him credit though because since day one he said he will informed them that the municipal code is in violation.

Post imported post

Good work and thanx for bringing this to light. Your next move needs to be to contact Mr. Rey about drafting a change to the city code to put it into compliance with the RCW.

Post imported post

That memo seems to be very clear and to the point. Well done!
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
    Good work and thanx for bringing this to light. Your next move needs to be to contact Mr. Rey about drafting a change to the city code to put it into compliance with the RCW.
    already in the works.....

Post imported post

jddssc121 wrote:
    Richard6218 wrote:
    Again, good work.....

State Researcher

Post imported post

Good deal!

Post imported post

Very nice work! Thank you.

Post imported post

jddssc121 wrote:
    Richard6218 wrote:
    Great job!

This reminds me I need to go talk to Bothell again about their parks code now that they don't have Seattle's "pending gun ban" to hide behind.

Post imported post

FMCDH wrote:
    jddssc121 wrote:
    Richard6218 wrote:
    Great job!

This reminds me I need to go talk to Bothell again about their parks code now that they don't have Seattle's "pending gun ban" to hide behind.
    They say there's always one dumb SOB that never gets the word ..... I was one at the big hearing in December but I haven't heard its status since. Are you saying Fivepennies actually backed down??? Please fill me in.

Post imported post

Don't OC that often, but as a resident of Kirkland, thanks!

Post imported post

Sorry to necro your thread; but, I noticed it had been a year since the training memo and yet the relevant city codes had not been updated. I emailed the city and got the following update, this morning:

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

I have been asked to respond to your email to Mr. Ramsay. I am aware of the issues you raise. I am working on a comprehensive rewrite of Title 11 of the Kirkland Municipal Code, which has not been updated in many years. I am addressing the issues you raise as a part of that rewrite. The current draft is being reviewed by the Kirkland prosecutor and the Kirkland Police Department and I will be getting feedback from them shortly. I hope to take the Ordinance to the City Council in the next few months.

The draft ordinance would remove KMC 11.41.065 and simply incorporate RCW 9.41.300 by reference. It would also remove the phrase “or to carry any firearm” from KMC 11.80.070. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Oskar Rey
    Assistant City Attorney
    City of Kirkland

cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt

Post imported post

+1 Good work. Lots of times all it takes is a little nudge to get the needed result

Post imported post

Ya we will see, they have been dragging their feet on this for so long with the same response.

Post imported post

They're actually re-writing a large section of the KMC, so it's not just a simple few gun-related paragraphs that need to be amended. I actually have a copy of the rewrite in question, so I know it's real.

Mr. Rey has been very responsive and cooperative with the public on this and my conclusion is simply that these things take time.

Kirkland - one year later

Quote Originally Posted by NavyMike View Post

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

I have been asked to respond to your email to Mr. Ramsay. I am aware of the issues you raise. I am working on a comprehensive rewrite of Title 11 of the Kirkland Municipal Code, which has not been updated in many years. I am addressing the issues you raise as a part of that rewrite. The current draft is being reviewed by the Kirkland prosecutor and the Kirkland Police Department and I will be getting feedback from them shortly. I hope to take the Ordinance to the City Council in the next few months.

The draft ordinance would remove KMC 11.41.065 and simply incorporate RCW 9.41.300 by reference. It would also remove the phrase “or to carry any firearm” from KMC 11.80.070. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Oskar Rey
    Assistant City Attorney
    City of Kirkland
    I just got the following update:

I received comments and input from the Kirkland prosecutors and the KPD on the proposed changes to Title 11 and have incorporated them into a revised draft of the Ordinance.* The City is currently working on a large annexation that takes effect next month and that has been the focus of a significant amount of staff time in recent months.* However, I have requested that the Title 11 rewrite Ordinance be placed on the agenda of the City Councils Public Safety Subcommittees agenda for June.* After that, the Ordinance would go to the City Council for adoption.* That would likely be the July 19, 2011 Council Meeting assuming the Public Safety Subcommittee does not have major concerns.*
    Regarding informing KPD officers of the pre-emption issue, KPD command staff issued a training bulletin identifying the pre-emption issue and instructing KPD officers not to enforce the KMC provision and apply state law instead.

Bravo, keep up the great work.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

I just got the following update:

the Title 11 rewrite Ordinance be placed on the agenda of the City Councils Public Safety Subcommittees agenda for June.* After that, the Ordinance would go to the City Council for adoption.* That would likely be the July 19, 2011 Council Meeting assuming the Public Safety Subcommittee does not have major concerns.*
    Regarding informing KPD officers of the pre-emption issue, KPD command staff issued a training bulletin identifying the pre-emption issue and instructing KPD officers not to enforce the KMC provision and apply state law instead.
    I wonder if this weekend's defensive dog shooting, will come into play at Kirkland's Safety Subcommittee meeting; when they consider rescinding Kirkland's ban on firearms in parks and other preempted places.

Also, glad to see that KPD did not charge the gun owner under the KMC provision.

I wonder if this weekend's defensive dog shooting, will come into play at Kirkland's Safety Subcommittee meeting; when they consider rescinding Kirkland's ban on firearms in parks and other preempted places.

Also, glad to see that KPD did not charge the gun owner under the KMC provision.
    It likely will but still it is covered under state preemption so it would either been thrown out of court or over turned in appeal.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    It likely will but still it is covered under state preemption so it would either been thrown out of court or over turned in appeal.
    I would love to be there as they try to explain away their own training bulletin. That would be priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by jddssc121 View Post
    Attached is the training memo sent to PD. Below is the note from the city attorney.

The KPD actually issued a training memo on Feb 6 while I was away from the office on vacation. A copy is attached. There is a typo in the last paragraph in which RCW 9.41.300 is referred to as .030. I have called it to the KPD’s attention.
    Hmm, and now we know the quality of their training. Citing laws that don't exist