• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Kirkland

jddssc121

imported post

Attached is the training memo sent to PD. Below is the note from the city attorney.

The KPD actually issued a training memo on Feb 6 while I was away from the office on vacation. A copy is attached. There is a typo in the last paragraph in which RCW 9.41.300 is referred to as .030. I have called it to the KPD’s attention.

Izzle

imported post

I'm glad to see that Mr. Rey actually sent a memo to the department. I do give him credit though because since day one he said he will informed them that the municipal code is in violation.

Richard6218

imported post

Good work and thanx for bringing this to light. Your next move needs to be to contact Mr. Rey about drafting a change to the city code to put it into compliance with the RCW.

jddssc121

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
Good work and thanx for bringing this to light. Your next move needs to be to contact Mr. Rey about drafting a change to the city code to put it into compliance with the RCW.
already in the works.....

FMCDH

imported post

jddssc121 wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:
Great job!

This reminds me I need to go talk to Bothell again about their parks code now that they don't have Seattle's "pending gun ban" to hide behind.

Richard6218

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
jddssc121 wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:
Great job!

This reminds me I need to go talk to Bothell again about their parks code now that they don't have Seattle's "pending gun ban" to hide behind.
:question::question::question: They say there's always one dumb SOB that never gets the word ..... I was one at the big hearing in December but I haven't heard its status since. Are you saying Fivepennies actually backed down??? Please fill me in.

NavyMike

imported post

Sorry to necro your thread; but, I noticed it had been a year since the training memo and yet the relevant city codes had not been updated. I emailed the city and got the following update, this morning:

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

I have been asked to respond to your email to Mr. Ramsay. I am aware of the issues you raise. I am working on a comprehensive rewrite of Title 11 of the Kirkland Municipal Code, which has not been updated in many years. I am addressing the issues you raise as a part of that rewrite. The current draft is being reviewed by the Kirkland prosecutor and the Kirkland Police Department and I will be getting feedback from them shortly. I hope to take the Ordinance to the City Council in the next few months.

The draft ordinance would remove KMC 11.41.065 and simply incorporate RCW 9.41.300 by reference. It would also remove the phrase “or to carry any firearm” from KMC 11.80.070. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Oskar Rey
Assistant City Attorney
City of Kirkland

Izzle

imported post

Ya we will see, they have been dragging their feet on this for so long with the same response.

tai4de2

imported post

They're actually re-writing a large section of the KMC, so it's not just a simple few gun-related paragraphs that need to be amended. I actually have a copy of the rewrite in question, so I know it's real.

Mr. Rey has been very responsive and cooperative with the public on this and my conclusion is simply that these things take time.

NavyMike

Kirkland - one year later

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

I have been asked to respond to your email to Mr. Ramsay. I am aware of the issues you raise. I am working on a comprehensive rewrite of Title 11 of the Kirkland Municipal Code, which has not been updated in many years. I am addressing the issues you raise as a part of that rewrite. The current draft is being reviewed by the Kirkland prosecutor and the Kirkland Police Department and I will be getting feedback from them shortly. I hope to take the Ordinance to the City Council in the next few months.

The draft ordinance would remove KMC 11.41.065 and simply incorporate RCW 9.41.300 by reference. It would also remove the phrase “or to carry any firearm� from KMC 11.80.070. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Oskar Rey
Assistant City Attorney
City of Kirkland

I just got the following update:

I received comments and input from the Kirkland prosecutors and the KPD on the proposed changes to Title 11 and have incorporated them into a revised draft of the Ordinance.* The City is currently working on a large annexation that takes effect next month and that has been the focus of a significant amount of staff time in recent months.* However, I have requested that the Title 11 rewrite Ordinance be placed on the agenda of the City Council’s Public Safety Subcommittee’s agenda for June.* After that, the Ordinance would go to the City Council for adoption.* That would likely be the July 19, 2011 Council Meeting assuming the Public Safety Subcommittee does not have major concerns.*
Regarding informing KPD officers of the pre-emption issue, KPD command staff issued a training bulletin identifying the pre-emption issue and instructing KPD officers not to enforce the KMC provision and apply state law instead.

NavyMike

I just got the following update:

the Title 11 rewrite Ordinance be placed on the agenda of the City Council’s Public Safety Subcommittee’s agenda for June.* After that, the Ordinance would go to the City Council for adoption.* That would likely be the July 19, 2011 Council Meeting assuming the Public Safety Subcommittee does not have major concerns.*
Regarding informing KPD officers of the pre-emption issue, KPD command staff issued a training bulletin identifying the pre-emption issue and instructing KPD officers not to enforce the KMC provision and apply state law instead.

I wonder if this weekend's defensive dog shooting, will come into play at Kirkland's Safety Subcommittee meeting; when they consider rescinding Kirkland's ban on firearms in parks and other preempted places.

Also, glad to see that KPD did not charge the gun owner under the KMC provision.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I wonder if this weekend's defensive dog shooting, will come into play at Kirkland's Safety Subcommittee meeting; when they consider rescinding Kirkland's ban on firearms in parks and other preempted places.

Also, glad to see that KPD did not charge the gun owner under the KMC provision.

It likely will but still it is covered under state preemption so it would either been thrown out of court or over turned in appeal.