• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA-ALERT: Improved restaurant ban repeal passes House and Senate!

W.E.G.

imported post

VA-ALERT: Improved restaurant ban repeal passes House and Senate!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:51 PM
Subject: VA-ALERT: Improved restaurant ban repeal passes House and Senate!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings.html
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html

Senator Hanger's bill to repeal the restaurant ban, SB 1035, WITH the House amendment (thanks to Delegate Griffith) that REMOVES the requirement to notify the ABC manager has just passed the Senate!!!

The improved bill, which already passed the House, now heads to the
Governor's desk.

Please DO NOT contact Senator Hanger to thank him - I have already
done that for all of you. There are so many of you out there, Senator
Hanger's aide didn't want her email box to blow up. ;-)

Action item on this will follow in a day or two.

--

On the bad side, Delegate Cole's gun buy-up bill was gutted by an
amendment by Senator Stolle. Unfortunately, that version passed the
Senate.

Now we want the House will reject that amendment and insist on its
version and send the bill to conference committee.

I am working this issue right now.

There might be an urgent action item on this, but I'm not sure yet.
Please keep an eye on your emails this afternoon.

--

The Senate has REJECTED the House's attempt to REMOVE the Senate's
weakening language from the two "teeth in preemption" bills (Delegate
Carrico's HB 1655 and Senator Smith's SB 1513).

Both bills will now head to conference committee to come to a solution.

I will advise as we watch the bills' progress.

--

Good news: Delegate Lingamfelter's bill HB 1851, which exempts active
duty military from Virginia's one handgun a month law, has passed both
the House and the Senate and now heads to the Governor's desk!

-------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org

rebfan

imported post

What was the vote in the Senate for the restaurant Bill? Timmy will surely vetothe Bill if it did not obtain a veto proof vote in the Senate.

W.E.G.

imported post

I strongly suspect he WILL veto it.

But, it speaks well of the legislature that they understand what needs to be done, and they continue to put this on the Governor's desk each year in spite of Timothy Kaine's opposition.

Kaine is done. This is is his final year of being a scourge in the Governor's Office.

Each of the three democratic candidates for the November election for Virginia Governor have excellent NRA rankings. Once Kaine is gone, I expect this issue to be finally resolved.

TFred

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:

But, it speaks well of the legislature that they understand what needs to be done, and they continue to put this on the Governor's desk each year in spite of Timothy Kaine's opposition.

Kaine is done. This is is his final year of being a scourge in the Governor's Office.

Each of the three democratic candidates for the November election for Virginia Governor have excellent NRA rankings. Once Kaine is gone, I expect this issue to be finally resolved.
If he were smart, he would see the 4 possible candidates for Governor next year, realize that if as you say, all the Dems are likely to sign it, it's going to be done next year anyway and just sign it himself this year and take credit for his "moderate" stance. Wow that was a run-on sentence...

Claiming to be a moderate seems to fool the voters into voting for you, as we have all learned with Webb and Warner.

TFred

rebfan

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:

I just heard Terry Mcauliffe on the radio last week stating he did not think guns belonged in bars in response to a question regarding this bill. So, I doubt he would sign this type of bill.

2a4all

imported post

rebfan wrote:
W.E.G. wrote:

I just heard Terry Mcauliffe on the radio last week stating he did not think guns belonged in bars in response to a question regarding this bill. So, I doubt he would sign this type of bill.
I wonder, if by vetoing this bill, Kaine actually thinks he's keeping guns out of "bars".

Surely he knows that every CCer has an alternative.:banghead:

virginiatuck

imported post

I don't think the delegates and senators and governor(s) are necessarily ignorant of the legality of OC in bars. I think what they mean when they say something like "I will not support the bill because I don't think guns belong in bars" is that if they had their way, they'd be passing a bill right now that banned guns in bars altogether (open or concealed); if not everywhere else, too.

rebfan

imported post

2a4all wrote:
rebfan wrote:
W.E.G. wrote:

I wonder, if by vetoing this bill, Kaine actually thinks he's keeping guns out of "bars".

Surely he knows that every CCer has an alternative.:banghead:
I thought the same. But, Terry was on a roll.

W.E.G.

imported post

If that be the case, then it is very important for each of us to vote appropriately in the June primary election.

vt357

imported post

Anybody want to call in to 1140 WRVAs Ask The Governor? Kaine will be on today at 9:00 am. He reportedly has stated that he will VETO the bill. :cuss:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

vt357 wrote:
Kaine will be on today at 9:00 am. He reportedly has stated that he will VETO the bill. :cuss:

I'm sure that His Excellency, the Governor will see that the will of the people has been demonstrated by the words and actions of their elected representatives in the legislative process and he will defer to their sound judgement and expertise in this matter.

Oh wait, Tim Kaine's still the Governor...nah, we'reall screwed.

ODA 226

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
I don't think the delegates and senators and governor(s) are necessarily ignorant of the legality of OC in bars. I think what they mean when they say something like "I will not support the bill because I don't think guns belong in bars" is that if they had their way, they'd be passing a bill right now that banned guns in bars altogether (open or concealed); if not everywhere else, too.
There is no such thing as a "bar" in Virginia! We have restaurants that happen to serve alcohol.

TFred

imported post

From today's Richmond Times-Dispatch:

Guns-in-bars bill passes; Kaine likely to veto

By Jim Nolan

Published: February 26, 2009

The Virginia General Assembly has again said it's OK to bring a concealed weapon into a bar -- but getting Gov. Timothy M. Kaine to sign the bill will be something of a long shot.

Senate Bill 1035, sponsored by Sen. Emmett W. Hanger Jr., R-Augusta, would allow holders of concealed-weapon permits to enter drinking establishments with hidden guns as long as the holders don't drink alcohol.

"The governor's position on this hasn't changed," said Kaine spokesman Gordon Hickey. Kaine vetoed similar legislation last year.

This time, House lawmakers went further in modifying Hanger's bill, eliminating the requirement that concealed-weapons permit holders would need to inform a manager that they're armed. The amended legislation cleared the Senate yesterday by a 22-16 vote -- five votes shy of the two-thirds needed to override a gubernatorial veto.

While Kaine has opposed such legislation in the past, it could have a chance next year. At least two of the four men vying to succeed him as governor support the legislation.

Sen. R. Creigh Deeds, D-Bath, a Democratic candidate, voted for Hanger's bill yesterday. The presumptive Republican nominee, former Attorney General Bob McDonnell, also supports the bill.

Democratic candidate Brian J. Moran, a former delegate from Alexandria, voted against the legislation last year. Rival Democrat Terry McAuliffe, the former Democratic National Committee chairman, also is opposed to the bill.

Gun-rights proponents say that being able to enter a drinking establishment with a concealed weapon is important for their self-defense and would not increase violence.
Opponents say guns and alcohol don't mix.

Contact Jim Nolan at (804) 649-6061 or jnolan@timesdispatch.com

rchjr

imported post

Your right, we're screwed! The Gov stated that he would veto the bill after "extensive conversation with the restaurant and law enforcement community" hasn't changed his mind.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Then what I want to know is, why is Governor Kaine in favor of increased crime? Why would he want to limit the ability of law-abiding folks to defend themselves?

If he thinks that defining self defense preparedness should be a crime, maybe he should move to P.G. Co., Maryland or S.E. D.C., where he'll be safe from guns.

hsmith

imported post

user wrote:
Then what I want to know is, why is Governor Kaine in favor of increased crime? Why would he want to limit the ability of law-abiding folks to defend themselves?

If he thinks that defining self defense preparedness should be a crime, maybe he should move to P.G. Co., Maryland or S.E. D.C., where he'll be safe from guns.
Tim Kaine wants rapists to be safe and rape victims to remain victims. He wants husbands who beat their wives to be safe and continue to beat the innocent wives. He wants stalkers to be safe to stalk and kill their victims.

Thundar

imported post

We have to be ready for Timmy's veto. Use it to our advantage. Hold a state wide open carry restaurant event. Invite media. Inform them that Govenor Timmy isan anti gunfreedom hater, but is really helping the nationwide open carry movement!