• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

jsut curious as to what you guys think of this

ballester

imported post

i was cruising the vsp website and i ran across this on private sales...now everone knows they are legal and i myself have done my fair share however, this caught my eye:

"When purchasing handguns in a private sale. A private sale means purchase from a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection of curios or relics as herein defined, or who sells all or part of such collection of curios and relics."

number 7 on the list of transactions for multiple sales at

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_MultiplePurchase.shtm

wtf?:exclaim:

just the wording got me..curios and relics? i dont think most guns fit that...if they are trying to mislead people i think a friendly email will suffice....cause according to this you cant private sale say...oh a glock or xd...again i know private sales are legal...but someone not in the know looking to the vsp for advice would get the wrong impression....thank you

markand

imported post

ballester wrote:
i was cruising the vsp website and i ran across this on private sales...now everone knows they are legal and i myself have done my fair share however, this caught my eye:

"When purchasing handguns in a private sale. A private sale means purchase from a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection of curios or relics as herein defined, or who sells all or part of such collection of curios and relics."

just the wording got me..curios and relics? i dont think most guns fit that...if they are trying to mislead people i think a friendly email will suffice....cause according to this you cant private sale say...oh a glock or xd...again i know private sales are legal...but someone not in the know looking to the vsp for advice would get the wrong impression....thank you
The web page you linked to is talking about sales of more than one gun in a single month. A certificate and VSP approval is required to purchase more than "one handgun a month" even for private sales. The page lists exceptions the the "one handgun a month" restriction. One of those exceptions, where a certificate is NOT required, is the number 7 you noted. Another important exception is number 6, just above it, which informs that holders of valid Virginia Concealed Handgun Permits are also exempted from the multiple handgun per month transaction restriction.

Hope this helps.

ballester

imported post

thanks..and i know... i jsut googled va private sales and thats the only thing mentioned about private sales on there web site. i thought that would confuse some folks...but why would i expect the vsp to tell people how they could get around the one a month law with out a permit...should say this

"When purchasing handguns in a private sale. A private sale means purchase from a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection offirearms as herein defined, or who sells all or part of such collection of firearms"

so how hard was that? seenobody is confused and it tells people what the rules are. so much more helpful:dude:

oh and Markand..looks like you and me had the same idea on the same day! never looked back since

what got this started was sometiems when i need a good laugh and feel like seeing desperate liars spilling there filth..i cruise over to the brady site and look through the lies...sheesh i man could feel dirtier looking at that site over an adult one....gonna need a shower after looking at that trash.....

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think the link is to the one handgun in 30 days page. The entire page is regarding the application of that rule. The private transactions of curio and relic items are not subject to the 30 day rule. As in you can buy a C&R handgun every day of the month.

It reads as though private sales of current model firearms may be covered by the 30 day rule. However, when private sales take place between private individuals there is no FFL present and no call to VSP and no Multiple Handgun Purchase Application. So does this mean each person is responsible for not purchasing a Glock and an XD from a private seller within the 30 day period?

I read this rule as being explicity applicable to firearms purchased through an FFL and questionably applicable to firearms purchased through private sale (excluding C&R items).

You can purchase as many modern firearms through private sales as you desire. The question is does the 30 day rule apply and, if so, how would anyone except you know?

:cool:

tsannicolas

imported post

ballester wrote:

A Curio and Relic usually means historical rifles/handguns etc. like a nagant or an m1 garand.

i'm about to apply for my C&R license

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yes, I see what you mean. First they talk about Curio & Relic private sales, then they devote multiple paragraphs to Antique firearms...most of which fall into the C&R category anyway.

Kind of bizarre. So if you purchase multiple handguns though private sale in a month it appears VSP expects you to complete the form and submit it for approval. :cool:

ballester

imported post

glad you see it to..its all in the wording...we know what the real rules are...but still it just irked me a little...it makes it come across as the only multiple handguns that can be purchased through a private sale is c&r...:banghead:

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The technical legal term for that is, "dust in the eyes". If you believe the police when they tell you what the law is, rather than consulting a lawyer or doing the research to figure it out for yourself, then their agenda is promoted, because what they want is for you to act as though it were the law.