• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing a handgun purchased in VA

Joker3092

imported post

Up until may 2008 i was stationed in Virginia but still a legal resident in PA, I bought a Handgun while stationed in VA, My question is can i Open Carry or conceal Carry my Handgun In the State of PA. I Am a current resident and DO have mt LTCF.

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Since Pennsylvania has no form of Registration, you are just fine to carry any weapon that you legally own (Or, if you have a LTCF, any weapon that you have borrowed with the permission of the owner)

18 Pa.C.S. §6111.4. Registration of firearms.
Notwithstanding any section of this chapter to the contrary, nothing in this chapter shall be construed to allow any government or law enforcement agency or any agent thereof to create, maintain or operate any registry of firearm ownership within this Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section only, the term "firearm" shall include any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.
§ 6115. Loans on, or lending or giving firearms prohibited.
(a) Offense defined.--No person shall make any loan secured by mortgage, deposit or pledge of a firearm, nor, except as provided in subsection (b), shall any person lend or give a firearm to another or otherwise deliver a firearm contrary to the provisions of this subchapter.

(b) Exception.--
(1) Subsection (a) shall not apply if any of the following apply: (i) The person who receives the firearm is licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109 (relating to licenses).

Legba

imported post

So you can't pawn a gun in PA unless you have a license to carry? Or is that just a city ordinance?

-ljp

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Legba wrote:
So you can't pawn a gun in PA unless you have a license to carry? Or is that just a city ordinance?

-ljp

Actually if you read that, I don't believe that you are allowed to use a firearm as collateral on a loan period

re-read it:
No person shall make any loan secured by mortgage, deposit or pledge of a firearm,
-
nor,
except as provided in subsection (b), shall any person lend or give a firearm to another or otherwise deliver a firearm contrary to the provisions of this subchapter.
I changed the formatting so you can see the break down of the sentence a little more clearly...

The first part has no exceptions. Only the second part of it, relating to lending a firearm to another person.