• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing to a gun show

Bullbuster

imported post

Looking to attend the Va Beach show and was thinking of OCing. Having not done so to a "GUN SHOW" I can assume its gun empty and have it inspected prier to entry. What about the ammo. Can you still have that on you or is it best to just leave it in the car (ammo and or both)? Haven't seen much posted in the way of OC to a gun show yet or I just misted it.

ballester

imported post

if its showmasters or ce gunshows..which now are one in the same..at least at the gun shows in richmond its unloaded and no concealed guns...and the guns are inspected and zip tied..being private property they can do that. i however have not seen anything about having a loaded mag or speedloader concealed in say your pocket...loaded mag and a sharp knife are a good thing to carry with you. at least at the richmond shows they dont pat you down...and im quite sure that most folks bring both those items to the show, as walking around with an unloaded gun in a large parking lot leave you open to folks who are only"shopping" the parking lot, and i bet there guns loaded...first thing i do when its safe away from prying eyes is load my handgun once im out that door...so i hope this helps

virginiatuck

imported post

Sometimes the search function on this board is extremely slow and it's not as powerful as, say, google or yahoo search. So I'm not going to get on your case, but someone else here may.

This thread was regarding "The Nation's Gun Show" at the Dulles Expo.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/21855.html

I don't know anything about the Virginia Beach gun show rules. Whatever they are, you'll know at the door, for sure.

ballester

imported post

ah..but is a speedloader a magizine????? speed strip? how about a true stripper clip?....so iguess theres a danger of someone shooting up a gun show..so no loaded mags..but if someone does decided to shoot up the gun show..well they shouldnt have broken the rules..:banghead:yeah that falls into the catergory of i need to secure my handgun to go pay my phone bill cause my carriers antigun and has a sign...no metal detectors??? wheres the issue?

disclaimer: i do notadvicate nor suggest people break the laws or rules set forth by people that are protecting us from ourselves. just remember that doing 56 in a 55mph zone is speeding and against the law...so how many millions of good americans are nothing more then repeat offending criminals? should you be on the same level as oh a shoplifter?? i mean both are nonviolent crimes..so?? anyways food for thought..thread topic kinda went awol

kle

imported post

ballester wrote:
ah..but is a speedloader a magizine????? speed strip? how about a true stripper clip?
What, you OC a Mauser C96? That I would like to see =)

ballester

imported post

maaaybe......but thats a great example though thanks you!!!:D no on one of my middle of the night rants ..i just took offense to the idea of being completely disarmed at an event supporting our 2nd..kinda of an oxymoron...but i understand why they do..and once im past the guard cop and into the parking lot i decide its time to go hot..but i do it with caution..i dont just stand in the middle of the road and slap and rack..oh well nuff said.

and now its peanut butter jelly time!!!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

virginiatuck

imported post

ballester wrote:
i just took offense to the idea of being completely disarmed at an event supporting our 2nd..kinda of an oxymoron...

They are, no doubt, exercising the Second Amendment. A gun show is not necessarily an event supporting the Second Amendment, though it could be. Profit is the #1 priority at a gun show. 2A support is part of their sales pitch, just like when they say "You better get one now, they're going to be illegal soon" and "I just can't keep them in stock, they're going fast." A gun salesman claiming to support the 2A is like a car salesman telling you he likes your shirt.

It's quite possible for someone to be pro-gun and anti-2A. For example, the show promoter may believe that everyone should own a gun, but also be of the mindset that "guns should not be carried outside the home." In other words, they may not like the phrase "shall not be infringed."

ballester

imported post

absolutely correct...i forgot about those people..mmmm someone i used to work for..yeah nothing else matters when you got $$$$ blinders on..

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ballester wrote:
if its showmasters or ce gunshows..which now are one in the same..at least at the gun shows in richmond its unloaded and no concealed guns...and the guns are inspected and zip tied..being private property they can do that. i however have not seen anything about having a loaded mag or speedloader concealed in say your pocket...loaded mag and a sharp knife are a good thing to carry with you. at least at the richmond shows they dont pat you down...and im quite sure that most folks bring both those items to the show, as walking around with an unloaded gun in a large parking lot leave you open to folks who are only"shopping" the parking lot, and i bet there guns loaded...first thing i do when its safe away from prying eyes is load my handgun once im out that door...so i hope this helps
At the Richmond shows, I have only seen signs that state "All Guns Must Be Unloaded."

I have seen no restrictions on CC, mags, speedloaders or ammunition in general.

BTW - I do not think that Showmaster and CE are one in the same at all. It is my understanding that they are run by former spouses that do not see I to eye and are in fact separate.

Yata hey

ballester

imported post

hey grape..i didnt remeber seeing any signs either..and i thought those two people from the different companies just got married in the last year or so??? oh well

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ballester wrote:
hey grape..i didnt remeber seeing any signs either..and i thought those two people from the different companies just got married in the last year or so??? oh well
I am repeating hearsay - no personal knowledge.

Yata hey

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ballester wrote:
I am repeating hearsay - no personal knowledge.

Yata hey

The companies are owned by Annette and Steve Elliott. Annette owns Showmasters and Steve owns C&E.

They work together just fine and are usually both at each gun show, unless the other is at another show somewhere else in the country....a very nice couple, nice folks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
The companies are owned by Annette and Steve Elliott. Annette owns Showmasters and Steve owns C&E.

They work together just fine and are usually both at each gun show, unless the other is at another show somewhere else in the country....a very nice couple, nice folks.
Appreciate it - figured some body would chime in and give the straight stuff.

Yata hey

mobeewan

imported post

No one has addressed the obvious reason for the "no loaded weapons policy". Inevitablysome goober is going to take out his weapon to show it to someone, compare it with another one or need to see how it fits in a new holster or some other reason and wind up having an accidental discharge and there will be more screaming from the left that we need to bangun shows. Another reason is liability. The gun show operator will probably get sued, but at least they can show that they tried to take precautions to keep things as safe as possible.

That said I have no problem unloading in my truck on arrival and pocketing the magazine. I then holster and conceal (I have a CHP)for carry in the show. I have never seen a sign at theTidewater area and Richmond gun shows I have attended forbidding CC.I don't ask and I don't tell.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mobeewan wrote:
No one has addressed the obvious reason for the "no loaded weapons policy". Inevitablysome goober is going to take out his weapon to show it to someone, compare it with another one or need to see how it fits in a new holster or some other reason and wind up having an accidental discharge and there will be more screaming from the left that we need to bangun shows. Another reason is liability. The gun show operator will probably get sued, but at least they can show that they tried to take precautions to keep things as safe as possible.
Maybe the rule should be all guns brought to the show for sale or service must be unloaded.

hsmith

imported post

mobeewan wrote:

That said I have no problem unloading in my truck on arrival and pocketing the magazine. I then holster and conceal (I have a CHP)for carry in the show. I have never seen a sign at theTidewater area and Richmond gun shows I have attended forbidding CC.I don't ask and I don't tell.
As many idiots as I see at a gun show PAINTING THE ENTIRE ROOM with rifles and handguns!

bdodds

imported post

I would imagine that the policy, while not 2A supportive, probably gives a warmer feeling to the venue owner, all of the insurance companies, anyone else involved and it might have the side effect of preventing an accidental discharge, which as noted is definitely the last thing we need at this point.

I'm not usually in favor of concessions, but from a safety perspective I don't think it has as much of an impact, as discussed in the other thread. There will be plenty of other people carrying loaded in case something bad goes down, the police are actively present in the course of their duties also, and the last thing I want to have happen is someone mistaking me for a BG if something does go wrong.

Bullbuster

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
hsmith wrote:
As many idiots as I see at a gun show PAINTING THE ENTIRE ROOM with rifles and handguns!
Try working the VCDL table when it's immediately next to the gun check table. I don't think I was every not swept last weekend.

If I was you and each and every time someone swept my way I would have said very loudly "Treat every weapon as if it where loaded" and "don't point at anything you do not intend to shoot".

Idid this very same thing at Bob's this morning with my wife next to me and I was holding my 2year old son. Someyoung guy had just had Lazar grips put on his gun and than turned and was holding it at his hip pointing it around the room (right sideof 1st floor) and I told him. Gun safety has been pounded into my head not to mention a couple close calls by others. I just don't play that game. The young guy, clerk and my wife all was taken back by my sudden outburst. But they understood or at leastI hope they did after that.

After that i got the holster for my wife's .38 and left.

But back to my OP I gather thus far no one that has attended the Va Beach show has OC'd yet.