• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best handgun

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Wilderness hiker? .30-30 Win lever gun or a pump 12 ga shotgun w/semi-jacketed hollow point slugs.Slings for both. You gonna usethe pepper spray to season the kill? Otherwise... it's useless.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The best advice would be a good rifle or shotgun, but assuming a person is trying to avoid carrying a lot of weight, then you would have to fall back on a large caliber handgun. I would pick one that can handle over the counter shot loads as well as conventional bullets. Whatever you pick the ammo should e available almost anywhere or you won't have any when you need it. In my view .357 is too small as are 9mm, .40 s&w, .45 auto, and a lot of other standard cartridges for two legged hazards. That leaves .44 mag, .454 Casull. .50 Alaskan, .50 S&W Mag, and a few others.

But keep this in mind

If you go for the handgun you should try to avoid actually shooting any bears you might encounter, as it REALLY pisses them off. If you do decide to shoot one can I have your guns?

Spectre

imported post

n16ht5 wrote:
I've been thinking about a serbu super shottie or a 500 sw to carry. Too many stories about bears taking loads of lead...

How much more of a kick is the 500sw than the .44 mag? I've shot 44 before and thought it was piece of cake if I shot slowly...

Personally I'll keep super shorty for home.

The .500s&w tends to have less recoil than the .44mag because the revolver shooting the .500 USUALLY has a compensator on the barrel and is USUALLY the non "snubbie" version so the weight helps the recoil a bit.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Last thing (possibly literally) you'll be concerned about is recoil in a bear encounter.

The .454 hurts me to shoot it more than 3 rounds. I've yet to shoot a .50 handgun... 'n prob'ly won't. At any rate... you want'a carry enuff gun in the boonies to KILL. Maybe I should say enuff bullet. Bears can move 30 mph from a standing start and you may not see or hear them. Then... there's mooses 'n pussycats 'n woverines. Wolves won't usually mess with you. Try not to smell like a beef sausage out there...

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Spectre wrote:
n16ht5 wrote:
I've been thinking about a serbu super shottie or a 500 sw to carry. Too many stories about bears taking loads of lead...

How much more of a kick is the 500sw than the .44 mag? I've shot 44 before and thought it was piece of cake if I shot slowly...

Personally I'll keep super shorty for home.

The .500s&w tends to have less recoil than the .44mag because the revolver shooting the .500 USUALLY has a compensator on the barrel and is USUALLY the non "snubbie" version so the weight helps the recoil a bit.

+1

I have one of these and the recoil is not as bad as people would have you believe. Mine is a 4" (see avatar) and I have modified a part from a .460 to fit the .500 so min does not have a compensated barrel. This modification in my view made the weapon more useful for my purposes, and did not increase the recoil that much

American Rattlesnake

imported post

I've been bummin' around the mountains in the NW (Cascades, Olympics, Wallowas, Clearwaters, etc) since I was a little guy and I've not worried much about predators.

That said, here's what I've gleaned from my little bit of experience out and about...
Bears will mostly leave one alone, though if it's a concern, a shotgun or rifle is probably the most effective weapon against one.

Cougar attacks are exceedingly rare, but I am confident that a strongly penetrating handgun round would be sufficient if necessary.

Moose are not animals to just shrug off...if you have a population of moose in your area, watch out! They can be aggressive in certain circumstances...and they're BIG. :D I've got some friends with hilarious stories of being chased by moose here in N. Idaho. Seems it's hard to outrun them, but they aren't too bright...standing very still behind a tree sometimes works. ;)

Wolves are becoming a problem up here. I don't go out in the woods without a rifle anymore simply because I'm no match for a pack of 'em and a handgun isn't much good against multiple 150 pound dogs (yes, they are that big.) Lone wolves aren't a big deal...but a pack is a completely different story.

TatankaGap

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
Bears are FAST. If you have to defend against an unexpected attack (i.e. the bear/mountain lion charges immediately upon seeing you), you'll be veryluckyif youget off 2 shots.
So, two lawyers are hiking and come upon a Bear and they all freeze - the Bear is about to attack....one of the lawyers starts slipping off his backpack. The other one says, "What are you doing?" - the first says, "I'm gonna make a run for it." The other says, "You can't outrun a Bear." The first says, "I know, but I CAN outrun you!" :celebrate

DokWatson

imported post

A buddy of mine has a snubbie S&W 500. Keeps it loaded with the lower grain rounds, That and the compensator makes the recoil very manageable, I can shoot it one handed and I'm a small dude. That will take care of anything you might run across up to and including elephants. Which I might add have been taken with the .500 :)

But me, Personally... I carry a 12 gauge shotgun with a pistol grip, Loaded up with slugs and buckshot. Throw a one point sling on it and its at the ready for whatever comes crashing through the bushes. The pistol grip is important... I noticed the butt stock got caught up under my armpit if I was bringing it up to high ready if I was wearing a jacket, Thats time you don't have messing with your clothing.

FMCDH

imported post

How can you tell that the bears in the area you are hiking are well fed?

You count the number of handgun parts in their poo. :p

(spin off of a oldie but a goody) :)

W5DVC

imported post

Spectre wrote:
I also want to get a defensive firearm for when I go hiking. I know I want a revolver, and in a calibre that can be used against most anything I come across whether it be bear, mountain lion or even a deer that gets a wild hair up his @$$ and decides to get angry.

Does it matter with barrel length? I was thinking a shorter 2-4 inch barrel so I can point and shoot better in defense. Also what about calibre? Can you scare big cats or bear with gunfire? I don't really want a calibre unless it begins with a "4" because while I don't doubt a .357 against people I do have doubts against bear. I'm thinking calibre wise either .44 mag, .460, .500 s&w, .454 cassull or even .45 long colt if it has enough punch against something other than a person.
Well Spectre you probably know what I'm going to reccommend. Yep ......a 4" S&W .500 MAGNUM. But a different load from what I carry concealed (corbon .500 S&W SPECIAL350 GRAIN BARNES "X" BULLET @ 1250 FPS ). Cabella's sells a load made by HSM WITH A 400 GRAIN FUSION BONDED BULLET FROM KODIAK ( ALASKA BULLET WORKS IN ANCHORAGE ALASKA ).......it smokes along @ 1725 fps....now the recorded velocity is out of an 8 3/8 " barrel....... but be prepared , the recoil from this load is " ALL PRESENT AND ACCOUNTED FOR". W5DVC :celebrate

W5DVC

imported post

TatankaGap wrote:
Flyer22 wrote:
Bears are FAST. If you have to defend against an unexpected attack (i.e. the bear/mountain lion charges immediately upon seeing you), you'll be veryluckyif youget off 2 shots.
So, two lawyers are hiking and come upon a Bear and they all freeze - the Bear is about to attack....one of the lawyers starts slipping off his backpack. The other one says, "What are you doing?" - the first says, "I'm gonna make a run for it." The other says, "You can't outrun a Bear." The first says, "I know, but I CAN outrun you!" :celebrate :celebrate
The Thibideaux and Boudreaux version of "DAT" joke is much funnier , especially if you can mimick the "CAJUN" accent. :shock:

W5DVC

imported post

I carry a S&W "X" FRAME chambered for the .500 S&W MAGNUM ( 4 inch). I carry it for concealed carry and afield when hunting and fishing. How practical is that , you might ask? The answer I would give you is VERY, because you can taylor the load to the duty you want the weopon to perform. For concealed carry I use a CARBON LOAD...... .500 S&W SPECIAL (350 GRAIN "BARNES X BULLET" @ 1250 FPS........about on par with a warm .45 LONG COLT LOAD ) . For the discouragement of hungry predators ....I prefer a HSM LOAD .500 S&W MAGNUM ( 400 GRAIN FUSION BONDED KODIAK BULLET FROM ALASKA BULLET WORKS @ 1725 FPS. " CAUTION....... my ccw load has very little recoil ........but this HSM LOAD IS DESIGNED FOR STOPPING DANGEROUS GAME........AND RECOIL IS ALL PRESENT AND ACCOUNTED FOR. OTHER STOPPING LOADS you may consider are 440 grain loads from Buffalobore and CORBON. The 440 load from CORBON was used to kill a WHITE RHINO in SOUTH AFRICA a couple of months ago.True the weight and the muzzle break do a great deal to mitigate the perception of felt recoil , but the heavy loads still posess enough recoil that you should spend enough time getting used to them to feel comfortable with them. The big thing with the BIG SMITH is accuracy.....shooting double-action I have been able to stay inside 3" to a distance of 50 yards and I can stay on a paper plate @ 100 yds.There is also a Hornady load that is pretty stout ( 300 GRAIN FTX BULLET @ 2075 FPS; THIS IS THE MOST ACCURATE FACTORY LOAD I'VE TRIED......TWICE I'VE STAYED UNDER 4" @ 100 YDS FIRING SINGLE ACTION. W5DVC :cool:

Sea_Chicken

imported post

Moose are no joke in N. Idaho I had one tear through my camp site a few years back and now I am thinking about buying a 45/70 when I move back to WA. in june instead of using my 30/30 for a camp gun.

orthzar

imported post

I personally own a single action cap and ball revolver in .44 caliber for self-defense, and it has never misfired or chainfired.

It may not be the best possible handgun for self-defense. However, Texas state law states that replicas of non-case firing handguns are not firearms.

I think you can get away with carrying a blackpowder weapon of some sort, since such weapons are considered obselete by most, including many gun enthusiasts, though check the laws.

I would feel safer carrying muzzleloading handguns, especially in comparison to a sharpened stick, though stay away from anything that is not caplock. Flintlocks and wheellocks aren't reliable enough for self-defense.

If you really want to carry a firearm with you for self-defense, you could always move to America, where at least most of the time that right is defended. Plus, you could go to the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico.

Calculate the risks and rewards before acting, that is what Locke says.

cheers

40s-and-wfan

imported post

I gotta say, regardless of what everyone else said, one's choice in Personal Protection/Self Defense handguns should also depend on their familiarity with handguns in general! If they don't know much then go with something simple like a revolver. That way you don't have to worry about Jams, it'll shoot every time you pull the trigger until it's empty. As far as semi-autos, there's a version of the 1911 that comes in a .50 caliber of some sort or another.

I personally carried a Ruger GP-100 in .357 for more years than I can count. I live in Northwest Montana and have never had a run-in with any animals aside from the occasional rabid gopher. They gotta be shot when you come across one, kind-of an unwritten rule! Anyways, I have no doubts as to the performance of the .357 caliber. As for someone saying that bullets will bounce off he head of a bear, tell that to the 375-lb black bear my friend shot a few years back... with a .357! There was an awful nice hole there for a ricochet!! And yes, I was there and witnessed the whole thing!! I don't use any of that +P crap. I still carry a .357 every now and then.I have no doubt about how well it works. Same goes for my .45 ACP I carry too!

Go into your local gunstore and check out every single gun they have in there and touch them, hold them, fondle them, and just look over everything they have in there! Find something you like and stick with it!! Everyone else has pretty good opinions but you may not like what they suggest. I can honestly say, I sure as heck wouldn't carry a .500 S&W for anything aside from an anchor for my float tube when I'm flyfishing! I have no use for anything that big!

As someone said, Elmer Keith has successfully hunted every animal in this country at least and did it with both a .357 and a .44 so that should say something. Find something you like and stick with it, you'll never beat something that you're familiar with and know how to use!!

W5DVC

imported post

Well like you say.......I have found something that I like . The .500 SMITH. Reliability is not an issue , Ammunition selection dependant upon what I am doing .....delivered energy ....again not an issue , accuracy.......DITTO!!!..........AND IT'S OBAMA NEUTRAL. NOT A SEMI-AUTO......DITTO.......NOT HIGH CAPACITY......DITTO . OF COURSE SOME PEOPLE ARE AFRAID OF RECOIL.......BUT THEN AGAIN I'M NOT ONE OF THOSE.......DITTO . W5DVC :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

ocgso

imported post

With the different things you could possibly approach in those environments, I would suggest a 454 casull. However, you wouldn't be able to find that in your price range.

The next best substitute to that gun would be a 357 mag or a 44 mag. I have an EAA Windicator that I picked up for $250 brand new in 357 mag that is a good hiking gun (6 round capacity).

I think if you are talking mountain lion and bear I would want something a little bigger and suggest that you look for a used 44 mag. My dad recently picked up a taurus tracker with a 4" bbl, stainless 5 shot for $350 (used).

You want the largest handgun you can afford if you want to fend off large game,I would stick to a 357 magnum or larger.

You may also consider trying to find a 45 colt in good condition, as that will send out a pretty substantial cartridge as well.

LeMat

imported post

I've been a fan of the 45 Colt for a lot of years and that is what I take when up in the hills.

A 300gr pill going about 1200fps will put a hurtin' on anything you'll run across.

I like to go the Ruger route with revolvers and carry a 4" Redhawk stoked up with bear loads. In the winter it'll take care of a cat, and in the summer, it'll take care of a bear.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I had a griz cross the trail about 20 yards in front of us. She just looked lazily at us and went on her merry way, but it impressed upon me the sheer size of these things when they're up close.

Fat, heavy bullets with a nice wide meplat. That's what I like. ;)

GreenCountyPete

imported post

my cusin shot his Wisconsinblack bear 2 years ago at about 40 yards they had been running the doggs but the bear wouldn't tree the 3rd time the dogs got to it they found out why it was huge with dogs jumping and taking rins at the bear he had to wait for it to stand up then shot right under the chin with a 12 ga slug the bear came down and started a charge he was able to get one more shot into it as it was charging it fell just several feet from him

yes the dogs probably made it worse , but with bear 45-70 leaver gun or 12 ga slugs would be about right

marlin makes the guide gun short light stainless and it holds 4 rounds 45-70

a 12 ga pump serves more used than most any other gun out there and with slugs i have dropped a lot of deer with one by the way i have never seen a deer take more than 3 steps after a neck shot from a 12 ga well wthing your price range

what do i carry as my back up gun 44 super black hawk 7 1/2 inch barrel this was the standard for many years for alaskan carry , then they started making many of the thers like s&w 500 and so on but you can fing 44 mag shells almost every were and makes a decent rifle round also

the super black hawk is definitly at the top of your price range with 350 for a used one

as for canada good luck , handguns ar a total no no, i have talked with a customer of mine who used to own one in British columbia said it was so mush extra paper work had to file any time he was going anywere other than from his home to his home range (designated range he was aloowed to transport to and from) but could not leave designated travel route and no stopping to run an erand on the way

even long guns if you are not specificaly going to a hunt expect difficulties.call and check with canadian customs .

FunkTrooper

imported post

I know its been stated before on this thread but for home defense and hiking unless you really train yourself to use a handgun on wild animals I couldn't really recommend a handgun. However at your price range you can buy a brand new 12 gauge shotgun I would recommend a 20" or 18" barrel load it with slugs or buckshot and you can drop any home intruder and if your being charged a shotgun in my opinion is the easiest weapon to point and shoot an still hit home. I would look for a Mossberg 500 20" or there JC (just in case) series.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28

Wasn't sure how to post a link but you should check it out!:D