• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best handgun

Alexcabbie

imported post

For anti-bear defense in the US, a .44 mag with heavy SWC slugs.

Canada? Well, if a bear charges you, just reach down in yer pants and grab a lump of poop and throw it at him (Don't worry; it'll be there to throw):shock:

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't mean to hijack the thread or anything but I also have a similar question. I wilderness camp in Vilas county in a BIG State Park. There you have to have you gun encased and unloaded. I usually bring up a 40 S&W glock 22 just in case bears or wolves come into out campsite at night. I would bring up a shotty or rifle but as I've said you have to keep it cased and unloaded. I've encountered bears a few times while hunting, no biggy just sat and wtached them for a while, about 30 yards away. Remember I'm talking about black bears. What would be better having a JHP personal defense cartridge with high grains or a FMJ so I could get more penetration? I don't plan on killing any bears and hope I never have to unless I'm hunting them, but with the amount of fish we cook at the cite it kind of worries me.

Ben

40s-and-wfan

imported post

Ben, I'm probably gonna start some controversy by saying this but here goes, I would load it with something like 180-185 gr. Ball Ammo or FMJ's. Several people will try to tell you that your pistol won't do anything to a bear or that shooting them with a .40 S&W is akin to shooting them with a pellet gun but you've already seen what black bears generally do, they walk away for the most part! Just don't hang around if it's a sow with cubs! Walk the other way quietly and don't draw attention to yourself!!

JMHO, though!!

smash29

imported post

BJA wrote:
.... Remember I'm talking about black bears. What would be better having a JHP personal defense cartridge with high grains or a FMJ so I could get more penetration? I don't plan on killing any bears and hope I never have to unless I'm hunting them, but with the amount of fish we cook at the cite it kind of worries me.
I posed this question recently but didn't get any responses. I was looking at the Double Tap website and they were touting FMJ Flat Points and THE load for the woods and I was wondering if they might be a better choice.

ocgso

imported post

The most effective thing you will ever use on large game (bear, elk, moose, bison) is a RIFLE cartridge. That said, if you really want to carry a hand gun that will stop something like that, it needs to chamber a rifle round.

Some examples of this are the 454 casull, the 480 Ruger, the 500 S&W. Magnum Research makes a 45-70 in 6 shot revolver as well.

These guns are pushing 300 + grains at velocities well over 1500 fps, this will stop ANYTHING that walks on this continent.:lol:

If you use a handgun that propels the bullet at the velocities some of these guns produce, you CAN use hollow-point loads (because of the velocity, they will penetrate to vital organs even on this large game).

CAUTION: If you are carrying these guns to defend against something like a bear, you need to purchase bullets made for these guns. Many times companies will sell HP ammo for these guns that travel 1800 - 2000 fps, but the jackets will seperate coming out of the barrel because the bullets were not made to handle these velocities.

I OC a 454 casull sometimes, and take it with me when I am deep in the woods in a shoulder holster. My load is a 300 gr JHP over 30.0 gr of WIN 296, and I have personally chronographed this load out of my 8 5/8" bbl at 1,750 fps. This will deliver 2,000 foot lbs of energy to whatever you shoot. This is getting close to many popular rifle cartridges (270, 30-06, 308) and actually better than some loads.

A 500 S&W can produce even more muzzle energy than that.:shock:

Either way, I have read many stories online of large african game getting taken with 454 casull from a revolver, and I trust previous results over anything a bullet manufacturer pushes down my throat.

Anything that produces under 1500 ft-lbs of muzzle energy is like throwing a stick at large and dangerous game, and will probably do good to sting a little if you used them to prevent an attack.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Really, if you are in a fix and all you have is a .22 SW Kit Gun "sumpin' is better than Nutti'n"

There are really only three reasons a wild animal will attack a human. One, if the critter is nuts with rabies or distemper. Two, if it thinks you want to eat it or its kids, and three; if it is desparate enough to want to eat you. There are some animals that will attack anything that moves for what some call "sport" but what is actually "practice".

"best gun" all around HAS to be a .44 Magnum as it is easy to carry and unless truly desparate for food the shock of being shot plus the noise and flash should be a powerful deterrent. Note I said "best all around". Some animal attacks may just simply not be survivable. While I admit I have never had to deal with a hostile bear or moose, their motives for attack are quite simply those I have outlined above. HUMANS, on the other hand, are MUCH more unpredictable and therefore more dangerous.......

FMCDH

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote
best gun" all around HAS to be a .44 Magnum......."
You meant of course, the best HAND gun... correct?

Don't know about you, but I can think of a lot of semi-auto rifles better suited to defending from an animal attack than any handgun.

LeMat

imported post

How many of us are going to pack a rifle or shotgun around when we're hiking? Not me. I'm hiking, not hunting.

I'm fairly confident that my hardcast 300gr 45 Colt loads will take care of what needs taken care of. ;)

mobeewan

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
How can you tell that the bears in the area you are hiking are well fed?

You count the number of handgun parts in their poo. :p

(spin off of a oldie but a goody) :)
I was always told their poo had hikers bells in it and smelled like pepper spray.

W5DVC

imported post

ocgso wrote:
The most effective thing you will ever use on large game (bear, elk, moose, bison) is a RIFLE cartridge. That said, if you really want to carry a hand gun that will stop something like that, it needs to chamber a rifle round.

Some examples of this are the 454 casull, the 480 Ruger, the 500 S&W. Magnum Research makes a 45-70 in 6 shot revolver as well.

These guns are pushing 300 + grains at velocities well over 1500 fps, this will stop ANYTHING that walks on this continent.:lol:

If you use a handgun that propels the bullet at the velocities some of these guns produce, you CAN use hollow-point loads (because of the velocity, they will penetrate to vital organs even on this large game).

CAUTION: If you are carrying these guns to defend against something like a bear, you need to purchase bullets made for these guns. Many times companies will sell HP ammo for these guns that travel 1800 - 2000 fps, but the jackets will seperate coming out of the barrel because the bullets were not made to handle these velocities.

I OC a 454 casull sometimes, and take it with me when I am deep in the woods in a shoulder holster. My load is a 300 gr JHP over 30.0 gr of WIN 296, and I have personally chronographed this load out of my 8 5/8" bbl at 1,750 fps. This will deliver 2,000 foot lbs of energy to whatever you shoot. This is getting close to many popular rifle cartridges (270, 30-06, 308) and actually better than some loads.

Either way, I have read many stories online of large african game getting taken with 454 casull from a revolver, and I trust previous results over anything a bullet manufacturer pushes down my throat.

Anything that produces under 1500 ft-lbs of muzzle energy is like throwing a stick at large and dangerous game, and will probably do good to sting a little if you used them to prevent an attack.
I agree that your primary weopon in this situation should be a rifle , but rifle or pistol the bullet selection is crucial. In the .500 S&W MAGNUM I prefer a load from HSM .....A 400 GRAIN JFP ( 100% FUSION BONDED BULLET FROM ALASKA BULLET WORKS designed for deep penetration and 95% weight retention ) leaving the muzzle @ 1725 fps and 2578 ft.lbs./ in a rifle I like my 1895 Marlin chambered for 50 ALASKAN ( Buffalo Bore Load 450 GRAIN JFN BONDED @ 2050 FPS AND 4198 FT.LBS. ) Just in case something should go " BUMP " in the night . Word to the wise , these loads are not for the faint of heart .THEY BITE ON BOTH ENDS!!!!! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

W5DVC

imported post

W5DVC wrote:
ocgso wrote:

I agree that your primary weopon in this situation should be a rifle , but rifle or pistol the bullet selection is crucial. In the .500 S&W MAGNUM I prefer a load from HSM .....A 400 GRAIN JFP ( 100% FUSION BONDED BULLET FROM ALASKA BULLET WORKS designed for deep penetration and 95% weight retention ) leaving the muzzle @ 1725 fps and 2578 ft.lbs./ in a rifle I like my 1895 Marlin chambered for 50 ALASKAN ( Buffalo Bore Load 450 GRAIN JFN BONDED @ 2050 FPS AND 4198 FT.LBS. ) Just in case something should go " BUMP " in the night . Word to the wise , these loads are not for the faint of heart .THEY BITE ON BOTH ENDS!!!!! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
When I wrote the opinion just above , I was not aware that Hornady had this load ,500 grain JFP XTP BULLET ( DANGEROUS GAME LOAD ) , leaves the muzzle @ 1450 FPS & 2400 FT.LBS. POTENT MEDICINE AND PROVEN ON CAPE BUFFALO AND WHITE RHINO IN AFRICA . SHHHHHH , DON'T TELL ANYONE BUT THIS LOAD IS NOT THAT BAD TO SHOOT ( REALLY NOT WHAT I EXPECTED IN THE RECOIL DEPARTMENT) . RECOIL WAS QUITE MANAGEABLE . W5DVC