• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RANGES IN HAMPTON ROADS

Joed757

imported post

The only Range I attend in Hampton Roads is Bob's Gun Shop & the workers there are pretty nice unless it comes to Open Carry and there lack of knowledge on the subject. But I am getting bored attending the same small 33ft range every weekend. So I think this thread should open some doors so I can travel to different ranges along with other. Just try to list location,time of operation and some sort of min. fee Im not the richest man in the world being a struggling college student. God Bless all

Joed757

imported post

i am a sophmore at NSU I will be attending Hampton U next semester.The only group i know of joining is the VCDL which I will be doing

denwego

imported post

If you have any affiliation to the military at all, I'd heavily recommend the Camp Allen range right next to NS-Norfolk. It's first-rate all the way: ventilated, programmable distances by the half yard, they allow anything but full-auto and birdshot (holster drills, etc, are all fine), and they're cheap as you can get, with a year membership for only $80. Any sort of military ID will do, from active to reserve to family or dependent IDs.

If you can't get the ID requirement down, though, Superior Pawn & Gun in VA Beach is a decent second. They have more onerous requirements, like most public ranges, but I rate them a bit higher than A&P or Bob's. I vowed never to set foot in Bob's again after one guy at the counter told someone new to guns that if "he tried openly carrying, you'll get arrested if you're lucky, because you WILL BE KILLED"... no extra emphasis. He said you'd be murdered day-one. A&P isn't bad in terms of facility, but their rule of one shot per 3 seconds really, really slows down any genuine practice of self-defense shooting.

vtme_grad98

imported post

I don't think you'll find any ranges around here that don't have some kind of "no rapid fire" rule. I know for a fact that Superior Pawn has rules against it. Bear in mind, however, that probitions against rapid fire generally have very little to do with the fact that most people that want to rapid fire are idiots that can't put 5% of their shots on the paper when they do it (I'll never understand why people that have 20"+ spreads with slow fire even bother with rapid fire).

The main issue with rapid fire has to do with squib rounds. Every once in a while, you can get a bad batch of ammo that either has too little powder in the cartridges, or the powder has deteriorated somehow. If it's bad enough, the powder won't generate enough energy to actually get the bullet out of the barrel. If you try to shoot another round with an obstructed barrel, one of two things will happen, depending on how far the obstruction is in the barrel: the barrel blows, splaying out like a banana peel, or the base of the barrel and the gun frame blow.

A squib round is generally very obvious when you have one. But if you're shooting too quickly, you'll already have the trigger pressed before your brain registers that the last shot felt weak/strange. Personally, I'd rather not be next to the guy who blows up his gun.

I can say that you can probably manage to practice things like double tapsat Superior if it's pretty slow in there, and you can show them that you can put in good groups when practicing slow fire.

ravonaf

imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
I don't think you'll find any ranges around here that don't have some kind of "no rapid fire" rule.
I took the CC course at the Marksman and it was a requirement to rapid fire. Double taps and rapid 5 shot sequences.

Bullbuster

imported post

I shoot at..

Camp Allen-Being I live in military housing at JFSC its as close as you can get.

Bob's-usually have a wait time but good folks for the most part. Range guy and Ammo room guy/ lady have never said anything to me about OC. Its the guys on the 1st floor that do.

Lynnhaven-usually have to deal with the wanna be thugs shooting thinking they are all cool and taking there sweet time on the range.

Pungo (outdoor range)-Don't OC a loaded gun in the club house. Guys will flip a lid. Range rules are a bit on the BS side but its nice and plenty of room to shoot.

Chickahominy WMA (outdoor range)- Long drive but its free.

Have a pawn shop near me that has indoor range. Need to go and check it out. Its on Little Creek east of Devine.

darthmord

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
I shoot at..

Camp Allen-Being I live in military housing at JFSC its as close as you can get.

Bob's-usually have a wait time but good folks for the most part. Range guy and Ammo room guy/ lady have never said anything to me about OC. Its the guys on the 1st floor that do.

Lynnhaven-usually have to deal with the wanna be thugs shooting thinking they are all cool and taking there sweet time on the range.

Pungo (outdoor range)-Don't OC a loaded gun in the club house. Guys will flip a lid. Range rules are a bit on the BS side but its nice and plenty of room to shoot.

Chickahominy WMA (outdoor range)- Long drive but its free.

Have a pawn shop near me that has indoor range. Need to go and check it out. Its on Little Creek east of Devine.

I find it funny / sad / hypocritical of a couple people at Bob's to be anti-OC and yet have a co-worker who OCs all the time. Debbie (the lady who typically works the ammo floor) open carries. Anytime I've seen her entering / leaving the shop, she's open carrying. The impression I got from some of the people there is that no one gives her grief. I don't understand why. She's very polite, courteous, and helpful. Might have something to do with her targets (She showed me a couple a long while back.) :lol:

The last few times I've been there, the anti-OC people said not a word to me about OC even though I was OC. Then again, those two did tell me that they have no problems with people OC in the store.

I just don't get it. Carry in what mode works for you based on circumstances. It's not that hard. :banghead:

Joed757

imported post

Never had a problem at Bobs until the issue of Open Carry between the age of 18-21 came up. They (All on the first floor) told me I had to be 21 yo to Open Carry thats the law.I didnt sit and argue my point I just brought the holster got out into the parking lot strapped that bad boy on and exercised my right.

Pagan

imported post

I shoot on my private range (my back yard) here ingloucester county, I have a maintained 50 yard firing line and enough property for 200 yards shots .

GMZ

imported post

I shoot mostly scoped rifle so I go to Pungo. Yea they are anal about OC so I just conceal. Good quality facilities but pricey.

Joed757

imported post

GMZ wrote:
I shoot mostly scoped rifle so I go to Pungo. Yea they are anal about OC so I just conceal. Good quality facilities but pricey.
I will be building an AR-15 soon i think i will put a scope or something of that nature on it. I read alot about pungo and the way they want O.C in there and etc but whats the membership prices like? I will have the AR-15 and Glock 21sf all the time so i need the prices or range if you could help.

skispcs

imported post

Joed757 wrote: "so i need the prices or range if you could help."

http://www.thec2center.com/

The facilities are rather nice but $$$$

7 yard - 15 yard - 25 yard - 50 yard - 100 yard ranges: $12.50 per hour (1 hour minimum)
100 zero confirmation - 200 yard - 300 yard ranges: $17.50 per hour (1 hour minimum)

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

skispcs wrote:
Joed757 wrote: "so i need the prices or range if you could help."

http://www.thec2center.com/

The facilities are rather nice but $$$$

7 yard - 15 yard - 25 yard - 50 yard - 100 yard ranges: $12.50 per hour (1 hour minimum)
100 zero confirmation - 200 yard - 300 yard ranges: $17.50 per hour (1 hour minimum)
Do they hold you to an hour, or can you shoot as long as you want???