Thread: Open Carry at Public Library

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I stopped by a city public library after lunch today to look something up on AllData (Vehicle Repair Information). At the front door of the library wasa small sign that said NO FIREARMS ALLOWED, along with some other rules.

I'm assuming this sign is meaningless? Pre-Emption does apply to a city library, right?

Ben

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

PilotPTK wrote:
    I stopped by a city public library after lunch today to look something up on AllData (Vehicle Repair Information).Â* At the front door of the library wasÂ*a small sign that said NO FIREARMS ALLOWED, along with some other rules.

I'm assuming this sign is meaningless?Â* Pre-Emption does apply to a city library, right?

Ben
    Best be sure it's really city property.

Once you know that for sure, it's perfectly legal to carry in a public building, and they can't tell you otherwise.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

What zig said. If it's a public library preemption applies, just ask the Ferndale public library. Even though they lost the suit they still have the no firearm signs up for the uneducated.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Exactly what I figured. I've emailed the library to see if they are in fact city-owned/city-property. I believe that they are, but want to make sure.

After I receive that response, I'll stop by (hopefully this evening) and talk to them about removing the sign.

Thanks!
    Ben

Post imported post

Yep, it's a city library. I found this at their website:

In September of 2004 the Ferndale City Council voted to create an independent Ferndale Public Library funded by a separate 1 mill levy. In November 2005 Ferndale voters elected the six members of that board to terms of various lengths.

Citation: http://www.ferndale.lib.mi.us/staff.html

God I love the internet!
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

I'm shaky on this. Does that mean they are a private establishment?
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    I'm shaky on this. Does that mean they are a private establishment?
    It was voted into creation. It's paid for by tax dollars. I'd say that's public property.

Post imported post

No, if a city establishes something, it is established as a function of the city. ALL city, county, township, village and state departments, boards, and services are established this way.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

PilotPTK wrote:
    I stopped by a city public library after lunch today to look something up on AllData (Vehicle Repair Information). At the front door of the library wasa small sign that said NO FIREARMS ALLOWED, along with some other rules.

I'm assuming this sign is meaningless? Pre-Emption does apply to a city library, right?

Ben
    Which library was this?

Post imported post

Per his link, it was the Ferndale Public Library.