• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at Public Library

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

I stopped by a city public library after lunch today to look something up on AllData (Vehicle Repair Information). At the front door of the library wasa small sign that said NO FIREARMS ALLOWED, along with some other rules.

I'm assuming this sign is meaningless? Pre-Emption does apply to a city library, right?

Ben

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PilotPTK wrote:
I stopped by a city public library after lunch today to look something up on AllData (Vehicle Repair Information).  At the front door of the library was a small sign that said NO FIREARMS ALLOWED, along with some other rules.

I'm assuming this sign is meaningless?  Pre-Emption does apply to a city library, right?

Ben

Best be sure it's really city property.

Once you know that for sure, it's perfectly legal to carry in a public building, and they can't tell you otherwise.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

What zig said. If it's a public library preemption applies, just ask the Ferndale public library. Even though they lost the suit they still have the no firearm signs up for the uneducated.

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

Exactly what I figured. I've emailed the library to see if they are in fact city-owned/city-property. I believe that they are, but want to make sure.

After I receive that response, I'll stop by (hopefully this evening) and talk to them about removing the sign.

Thanks!
Ben

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Yep, it's a city library. I found this at their website:

In September of 2004 the Ferndale City Council voted to create an independent Ferndale Public Library funded by a separate 1 mill levy. In November 2005 Ferndale voters elected the six members of that board to terms of various lengths.

Citation: http://www.ferndale.lib.mi.us/staff.html

God I love the internet!

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

No, if a city establishes something, it is established as a function of the city. ALL city, county, township, village and state departments, boards, and services are established this way.

LittleMan

imported post

PilotPTK wrote:
I stopped by a city public library after lunch today to look something up on AllData (Vehicle Repair Information). At the front door of the library wasa small sign that said NO FIREARMS ALLOWED, along with some other rules.

I'm assuming this sign is meaningless? Pre-Emption does apply to a city library, right?

Ben
Which library was this?