Thread: Chesapeake police mulls 'wearable cameras' for officers

Post imported post

Chesapeake police mulls 'wearable cameras' for officers

The city’s police department is looking into putting “wearable video’’ cameras on its officers.

The cameras would be expected to capture video from the officer’s perspective. The city gives several reasons for the cameras, including to capture evidence for trial and to protect the department and its officers from frivolous lawsuits.

The cameras, according to the city, could reduce confrontations because citizens tend to be less aggressive when they realize they are being videotaped. In court, the cameras would be expected to increase the likelihood of successful prosecution. They also could enhance officer safety, performance and professionalism.
    Wow. No thought about the reverse being true: maybe LEO's would be less aggressive, too.

Yes, by all means, let's enhance officer safety, performance and professionalism.

Post imported post

I'm sure that they'd be just as effective as the in-car cameras are in providing liability protection for the officers, yet sometimes conveniently being lost when they'd work against the officer.

Post imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
    I'm sure that they'd be just as effective as the in-car cameras are in providing liability protection for the officers, yet sometimes conveniently being lost when they'd work against the officer.
    Yeah, now we would hear about, not only 4 dash cams being out of commission, but 8 personal cameras being on the fritz, lol.

Post imported post

While doing some work in Minn., an officer there showed me his Tazer, equipped with a camera. As soon as the laser is activated, the camera begins to record the actions of the person that is about to get the buisness end of a few volts. Very useful in prosecuting.

Post imported post

ORCGUY wrote:
    While doing some work in Minn., an officer there showed me his Tazer, equipped with a camera. As soon as the laser is activated, the camera begins to record the actions of the person that is about to get the buisness end of a few volts. Very useful in prosecuting.
    Potentially, no voltage pun here for you EEs, very useful for either side in a prosecution... I imagine it wouldn't be the first time a LE camera caught a LEO with his pants down....

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

ORCGUY wrote:
    Oh, I don't think too many police will be prosecuted. Even with cameras.

But, why stop there? Why not program tazers with sound, speech, and image recognition. If the correct parameters are not present within 1 second of laser activation it shocks the beejeebies out of .........the cop.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    Potentially, no voltage pun here...
    Drat.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.