• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kaine said he would veto SB1035 Restaurant Carry

hellfogg

imported post

Yeah, he'll probably veto once again. But that's okay, once he's out, we'll get it passed again next year, and then hopefully we will have a governor SANE enough to sign it.

I cannot wait until Kaine is gone.

Bullbuster

imported post

As much as it sucks to say that he will most likely veto it. We can all atleast be glad that OC is a legal alternative. Other folks in other states would love to be in our shoes in that aspect.

JR-Ewing

imported post

I sent mine yesterday when I first heard about what he said.

Now, I have a question and please correct me if I'm wrong. If we OC in a restaurant, there is no provision in the law stating that we cannot consume alcohol is there?

Not that I do or would when I carry, and since I rarely if ever drink anyway, I'm carrying pretty much all the time.

I'm just curious.

JR

hsmith

imported post

JR-Ewing wrote:
I sent mine yesterday when I first heard about what he said.

Now, I have a question and please correct me if I'm wrong. If we OC in a restaurant, there is no provision in the law stating that we cannot consume alcohol is there?

Not that I do or would when I carry, and since I rarely if ever drink anyway, I'm carrying pretty much all the time.

I'm just curious.

JR

The only statue that has anything to do with drunk and a gun is having a CHP, concealing, and being "under the influence" (Which can mean a whole host of things)

You are fine to OC and have a drink (Although that could present a few legal issues if you DO have to defend yourself)

mgch576

imported post

Virginia's governor Tim Kaine sent anti gun groups scrambling today by vetoing SB1035. This bill would have would have made it clear to gun owners that in Virginia, you should keep your firearm covered when in a restaurant and you better not drink alcohol while do so. Instead, governor Kaine made his option clear that he preferrers that Virginians openly carry their firearms and the of drinking alcohol is OK while doing so. He stated that this is a public safety issue. I can only infer that he believes that having a firearm strapped to your side and clearly visible will deter any attempt at robbing restaurants. The governor must have been giving some thought to the recent rash of restaurant robberies in Oakland California, where almost no one outside of law enforcement is allowed to carry a firearm in public. It took the Oakland police months and dozens of restaurant robberies to finally put an end to them. Governor Kaine is being proactive in letting would be robbers know that in Virginia restaurants, you don't stand a chance. I applaud governor Kaine for finally stepping up for gun rights. Even though this might hinder his political ambitions once he is out of office. It's good to have a governor that puts the public's safety first at the expense of his political career. :banghead:

TFred

imported post

mgch576 wrote:
Virginia's governor Tim Kaine sent anti gun groups scrambling today by vetoing SB1035. This bill would have would have made it clear to gun owners that in Virginia, you should keep your firearm covered when in a restaurant and you better not drink alcohol while do so. Instead, governor Kaine made his option clear that he preferrers that Virginians openly carry their firearms and the of drinking alcohol is OK while doing so. He stated that this is a public safety issue. I can only infer that he believes that having a firearm strapped to your side and clearly visible will deter any attempt at robbing restaurants. The governor must have been giving some thought to the recent rash of restaurant robberies in Oakland California, where almost no one outside of law enforcement is allowed to carry a firearm in public. It took the Oakland police months and dozens of restaurant robberies to finally put an end to them. Governor Kaine is being proactive in letting would be robbers know that in Virginia restaurants, you don't stand a chance. I applaud governor Kaine for finally stepping up for gun rights. Even though this might hinder his political ambitions once he is out of office. It's good to have a governor that puts the public's safety first at the expense of his political career. :banghead:
If only we had a press that would spin things "our way" instead of "their way"...

TFred

Mailman

imported post

I just sent him my thoughts. I brought up the fact that those of us with concealed permits have passed a background check and have also proven our gun competency to the State of Virginia.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

They can. Will they? They didn't last year. In fact, last year, two senators (I think it was two; no way to look it up right now) who had voted for the bill did NOT vote to override the veto.

Could be different this year, though Kaine will wield power in Democrat circles for a while, and you may have to worry about some legislators who'd rather stay on the good side (read: $$$) of a party.

IanB

imported post

Tess wrote:
In fact, last year, two senators (I think it was two; no way to look it up right now) who had voted for the bill did NOT vote to override the veto.
I think one of the two was Petersen. He voted against SB1035 this year.