• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kaine said he would veto SB1035 Restaurant Carry

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Last year's bill was SB 476. Sen Norment didn't vote in the regular Senator floor vote but voted against it in the veto override vote. Senators Colgan and Puckett switched for yea to nay at the override vote.

Chap Peterson voted yea (pro-gun) in both votes.

Bulldog1967

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
As much as it sucks to say that he will most likely veto it. We can all atleast be glad that OC is a legal alternative. Other folks in other states would love to be in our shoes in that aspect.

VA is one of only a VERY FEW states where OC is required.

MOST states, (like my former state of PA), do not have a specialopen carry requirement for ABC establishments.

We are behind the curve on this and must not rest until this outdated law is repealed.

The_Side_of_Good

imported post

I emailed Gov Kaine the following:

Gov. Kaine,

I was disturbed, yet again, to read that you intend to veto SB1035. The reports I've read quote you as "very nervous about the public safety impact of that bill." I cannot comprehend your reasoning in this regard.

The difference between the current law and SB1035 is that the people that responsibly abide by the law will be able exercise that right without ridicule, criticism and unwarranted concern. The people that are a threat, and are willing to commit acts that endanger the public, are carrying their weapons concealed without regard to the rule of law.

Let me paint a picture... My wife and I own a small business and feel compelled to protect our lives, our customers and our property by carrying firearms concealed. Occasionally we want to have dinner at one of the local restaurants after closing, all of which (except fast food) serve alcohol. Since I follow the law, I openly carry my weapon upon entering the premises. This has drawn mostly positive responses. Unfortunately, the negative responses we've experienced, coming primarily from ill informed irrational patrons and employees, has created very difficult and dangerous conditions. To the extent that we've been forced to patronize only a select few establishment. This is the "impact to public safety" that you MUST be concerned with.

Gov Kaine, carrying a weapon for protection is the exact same thing as wearing a seat belt to protect you life against a drunk driver, or locking the doors to your house to protect your family from intruders. Law enforcement cannot be there every moment of the day. Concealed carry is the only way to effectively provide immediate protection for my family and I without concerning those incapable of understanding how real, reality can be.

Gov Kaine, I urge you to sign SB 1035 into law. There may be situations where the concealment of a handgun is prudent, even when on the premises of a restaurant that is licensed to serve alcohol. It is quite obvious that you agree with this since you've signed into law the ability for law enforcement and untrained State's Attorney's to do the same. I only ask that you respect the rights of all in your state and not just those you deem as responsible. Please read SB 1035 carefully and sign it into law.

Respectfully,

I am so concerned with the radically liberal slant of politics today that I am taking every opportunity to let my opinion be heard by our elected officials. I hope I was accurate in my references...

ballester

imported post

DONT WE TELL THE GOVERNMENT WHAT TO DO???? HE DOESN"T CARE ABOUT US..SO WHY GIVE A RATS BEHIND TO WHAT HE DOES/SAYS...OH THATS RIGHT WE ARE GOOD CITZENS THAT OBEY THE LAW...SHEESH YOU THINK THAT HE WOULD GET THE POINT SINCE WE TRY TO CHANGE THE LAW LEGALLY INSTEAD OF FLIPPING THE BIRD AND DOING WHAT WE WANT...BUT I GUESS WE ARE TO DANGEROUS FOR OUR OWN GOOD....WHEN THE FUDGE WILL THE "LAWMAKERS" GET IT? ENFORCERS TO PEED OFF CITIZENS IS LIKE 20 TO 1.. YOU THINK HE WOULD UNDERSTAND ..BUT I GUESS HE CAN JUST SAY F U TO VA SINCE HE IS FEDERAL NOW...OH WELL IN THE END WE WILL WIN THE RIGHT TO LIFE LIBERTY AND HAPPINESS...SINCE THAT LITTLE FACT SEEMS TO BE OVERLOOKED IN THE VIEW OF A POLITICAL AGENDA...

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I called the Governor's office today and spoke to one of his aides. I asked what the Governor's intentions were with regards to SB1035. The aide said the Governor had not made a decision and was waiting a few days to review them. I went on to stress that the Governor should sign the bill into law since the current situation is sexist (OC is not an practical option for many women) and the guns & alcohol don't mix mantra is a red herring.

I honestly felt like I was talking to a brick wall with how the aide responded.

Also, I wished I thought to ask why the RTD is reporting the Governor intends to veto if he hasn't made his decision yet.

mgch576

imported post

Speaking on WRVA Richmond's "Ask the Governor" program on Thursday, Kaine said he would likely veto the measure over public safety concerns.

"I vetoed that bill last year," he said, noting that this year's effort, Senate Bill 1035, looks almost identical.

"If it is, I'm going to veto it," he said.

fairfax1

imported post

I wonder what Kaine is going to do with this bill that passed both the house and senate?

SB877 Patron: Stephen H. Martin - all patrons
Carrying concealed weapons; retired law-enforcement officers. Allows retired law-enforcement officers who are qualified under federal law to carry concealed firearms to carry a concealed handgun into a restaurant that serves alcohol.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
I wonder what Kaine is going to do with this bill that passed both the house and senate?

Carrying concealed weapons; retired law-enforcement officers. Allows retired law-enforcement officers who are qualified under federal law to carry concealed firearms to carry a concealed handgun into a restaurant that serves alcohol.
oh he will sign THAT one for sure.

mgch576

imported post

Let's see. The senate passed it 40-0 and the house 84-15. He will sign it. Under the Law Enforcement Officers' Safety Act of 2004, qualified LEOs and retired LEOs can carry concealed in any state. However, the act does not construed to supersede state law that;

(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or

(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.

After signing the bill, retired LEOs and all other LEOs can carry weapons into any business that serves alcohol and has posted no weapons signs. They can also drink alcohol. However, they still have to follow other state laws that prohibit concealed carry or open carry. In this case, if a business does not serve alcohol and has posted no weapons signs, they cannot carry. (I could not find a statute that says they can)

(other LEOs does not include LEOs acting in an official capacity)

fairfax1

imported post

ed wrote:
fairfax1 wrote:

oh he will sign THAT one for sure.
I guess all of the Commonwealth Attorney's have to have someone who is armed to drink with.

Thundar

imported post

Yes Gov. Kane is a freedom hater.

What makes me happy is the unintended consequence of his actions.

1) People in Virginia are forced to open carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. This helps to normalize the entire open carry movement.

2) His stupid actscontinue to increase the passion of 2A supporters in Virginia,putting fear in state senators and representatives,ensuring that no anti 2A legislation is passed.

I would love for Governor Kaine to identify some other statesthat allowconcealed carry in restaurants, that experience statistical increases in crime, shooting, etc from permit holders in the restaurants.

mgch576

imported post

The problem here seems to be one of political necessity for the governor to sign SB1035 into law.

By not signing SB1035, the governor is continuing to put the safety of our police officers and public at risk.

Police officers have enough to do without having to respond to what amounts to nuisance calls from individuals not familiar with Virginia's gun laws. By allowing concealed carry in restaurants, this would certainly eliminate a considerable amount of these types of calls. Further, there are already laws to keep weapons out of restaurants. It only requires the owner to post a simple "No Weapons" sign on the entrance.

Every time police officers respond to one of these "individual with a gun" calls, their safety and that of the public becomes at risk.

A police officer's self defense training instructs them to draw their weapons prior to contact when confronting an individual with a weapon.

This is a dangerous time The individual that chooses to openly carry a handgun could be killed if they inadvertently make an error in their movements. Innocent by standers could be shoot and killed by officers responding to the initial shots fired. All of this will certainly put an abrupt end to the lives of innocent people, but also to the careers of the police officers involved in the shooting.

By signing SB1035, the governor can increase public safety and that of our police officers.

riverrat10k

imported post

JR-Ewing wrote:
Now, I have a question and please correct me if I'm wrong. If we OC in a restaurant, there is no provision in the law stating that we cannot consume alcohol is there?

Not that I do or would when I carry, and since I rarely if ever drink anyway, I'm carrying pretty much all the time.

I'm just curious.

JR
I know someone who says he has oc'd and had beer or twowith his dinner at an establishment in Richmond. I don't doubt him.