• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kaine said he would veto SB1035 Restaurant Carry

hsmith

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Well, as for the VT massacre causing an anti-gun backlash, I think we turned a corner in Virginia around that time. When the shooting occurred, we all braced ourselves foran anti-gun wave, and the antis thought they had it made in the shade. But it didn't happen. In the following legislative session the antis fizzled and we actually made more progress. If anything, I think a lot of Virginians turned to us after the incident rather than the antis, and realized that all this reactionary garbage only makes it worse.

This doesn't apply to every state, but I think it goes beyond just Va.
Sadly we didn't do as Texas after the Luby's Massacre and give our poor college students more rights.

I dunno, they are waiting to use something. Sarah Brady goes to night and prays to whatever she prays to and hopes for something she can use to push her agenda.

W.E.G.

imported post

Session ended on Friday, so I believe he has until March 20th or thereabouts
He'll pick the time, and throw a media party for all the stuff he's planning to veto.

Great sound-bite opportunity for the sort of unfocused paternalistic blather he's known for.

nova

imported post

Sent my email to Kaine this morning through the link the VCDL provided in the ALERT.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hsmith wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Well, as for the VT massacre causing an anti-gun backlash, I think we turned a corner in Virginia around that time. When the shooting occurred, we all braced ourselves foran anti-gun wave, and the antis thought they had it made in the shade. But it didn't happen. In the following legislative session the antis fizzled and we actually made more progress. If anything, I think a lot of Virginians turned to us after the incident rather than the antis, and realized that all this reactionary garbage only makes it worse.

This doesn't apply to every state, but I think it goes beyond just Va.
Sadly we didn't do as Texas after the Luby's Massacre and give our poor college students more rights.

I dunno, they are waiting to use something. Sarah Brady goes to night and prays to whatever she prays to and hopes for something she can use to push her agenda.
No spokesperson (survivor) stepped forward with the impassioned plea and dedication as happened following Luby's. That is the real difference. A bright, well spoken and dedicated proponent of positive change that hit 'em in the gut was what was needed and in that case is what they got.

It is all about public relations, emotion and salesmanship - unfortunately just the facts/truths don't always win the day.

Yata hey

mgch576

imported post

Rick in Chesapeake wrote:
Has the governor vetoed this (SB1035) and if so what is the count for an override?

Not as of yet. It takes 2/3rds of both houses to override. 27 in the senate and 66 in the house. we have 22 in the senate that voted in favor of SB 1035. But, we don't know who will vote again in favor to override. Hopefully, more will vote in favor as this is an election year.

W.E.G.

imported post

Kaine is supposed to be taking over the helm at the DNC.

I wonder whether Kaine's newfound proximity to Obama, and the apparent present distaste of the administration for the "gun control" issue, might cut in our favor on this year.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What is the status on this? I have searched all over the net and can't find any updates. Has he signed it or vetoed it yet?

TFred

imported post

Dispatcher wrote:
What is the status on this? I have searched all over the net and can't find any updates. Has he signed it or vetoed it yet?
The Virginia LIS page should be updated when it happens. Probably not in real time, but fairly soon after the event.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?091+sum+SB1035

It looks like he has not yet vetoed any bills, but has already signed quite a few. Here is one he has signed, so you can see what the status looks like:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?091+sum+SB1105

TFred

jermflux

imported post

My guess is we have a snowball's chance in hell he will sign it. He may NOT sign it to show his quiet disposition. With very powerful dem's avoiding the subject of gun control like the plague right now then we have a slight chance of that. Otherwise he will veto. If he actually signs it then I would start looking for certain other signs like birds flying backwards because it's just not gonna happen. Either no sign or veto, that is what we have. The fact that he has not vetoed it yet is astonishing.

A part of me is angry that he always states guns and alcohol do not mix knowing darn good and well that all I have to to is flip my shirt behind my pistol exposing it and I am already conforming with the law. Another part of me is embarrassed because when he plays stupid like that it reflects on all Virginians because he is our Governor and represents us. So which is it Governor Kaine? Are you ignorant or are you a beguiling politician?Those onthis board know the answer to that question.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The best thing that Kaine could do politically IMO is neither veto nor sign this bill - not that I want his political fortunes to benefit.

Time will tell as this will play out one way or the other. I've got my fingers crossed.

Yata hey

vbnative73

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
Session ended on Friday, so I believe he has until March 20th or thereabouts
He'll pick the time, and throw a media party for all the stuff he's planning to veto.

Great sound-bite opportunity for the sort of unfocused paternalistic blather he's known for.

From Article V of the VA constitution:

[align=left](b) During a regular or special session, the Governor shall have seven days in which to act on the bill after it is presented to him and to exercise one of the three options set out below. If the Governor does not act on the bill, it shall become law without his signature.[/align]

[align=left](c) When there are fewer than seven days remaining in the regular or special session from the date a bill is presented to the Governor and the General Assembly adjourns to a reconvened session, the Governor shall have thirty days from the date of adjournment of the regular or special session in which to act on the bills presented to him and to exercise one of the three options set out below. If the Governor does not act on any bill, it shall become law without his signature.[/align]

[align=left](i) The Governor may sign the bill if he approves it, and the bill shall become law.[/align]

[align=left](ii) The Governor may veto the bill if he objects to it by returning the bill with his objections to the house in which the bill originated. The same procedures for overriding his veto are applicable as stated in subsection (b) for bills vetoed during the session.[/align]

[align=left](iii) The Governor may recommend one or more specific and severable amendments to a bill by returning it with his recommendation to the house in which it originated. The same procedures for considering his recommendation are applicable as stated in subsection (b) (iii) for bills returned with his recommendation. The Governor shall either sign or veto a bill returned to him from a reconvened session. If the Governor vetoes the bill, the veto shall stand and the bill shall not become law. If the Governor does not act on the bill within thirty days after the adjournment of the reconvened session, the bill shall become law without his signature.[/align]

possumboy

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
The best thing that Kaine could do politically IMO is neither veto nor sign this bill - not that I want his political fortunes to benefit.

Time will tell as this will play out one way or the other. I've got my fingers crossed.

Yata hey

I'm being pessimistic tonight because of a bad day, but I see him signing it at zero hour.

Just to get our hopes up and then dash them - there has been more than one gun control measure that he supports squashed here in VA. He seems to be lording instead of following the will of the people.

There are a few places I don't go now that would really make my wife happy if I could legally "don't ask and don't tell".

possumboy

imported post

I've been thinking about this way to much.

I think I will be kinda pissed if he doesn't veto.

The only reason he would not veto is because he is the head of the DNC and does not want the bad press from the "gun lobby".

I do not like the idea of our Governor making decision base on national thoughts and opinions.

He vetoed here in VA before, we know his feeling, and if he just lets it go, he is making a ruling in VA based on what the rest of the country will think.

I know the DNC has thus far avoided gun control, but I'm just waiting for change.

Rick in Chesapeake

imported post

I understand your frustration but we need to keep our eye on the ball, the right to carry where and when we desire. How we get there does not bother me as much as Kaine's agenda being met or not. He obviously does not listen to his voters or his legislature.The sooner he moves on the better.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

possumboy wrote:
I've been thinking about this way to much.

I think I will be kinda pissed if he doesn't veto.

The only reason he would not veto is because he is the head of the DNC and does not want the bad press from the "gun lobby".

I do not like the idea of our Governor making decision base on national thoughts and opinions.

He vetoed here in VA before, we know his feeling, and if he just lets it go, he is making a ruling in VA based on what the rest of the country will think.

I know the DNC has thus far avoided gun control, but I'm just waiting for change.
Letting it pass even by not signing would still be closer in line with his signing to allow untrained state lawyers to carry concealed and drink last year. CHP holders Would be prevented from drinking by law.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
Letting it pass even by not signing would still be closer in line with his signing to allow untrained state lawyers to carry concealed and drink last year. CHP holders Would be prevented from drinking by law.
Just having a CHP will not prevent one from drinking.

Drinking alcohol in a restaurant while carrying an otherwise legal CCd gun will become a crime if and when this becomes law.

No requirement to CC so still will have the option to OC even though I have a CHP. Now the question comes: can I drink (small glass of wine) if I have a CHP but am OCing? Would not though as I think it is bad form - still it is a question that I have pondered.

I know what you meant but felt I should clarify for the uninitiated.

Yata hey

hellfogg

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Wolf_shadow wrote:

Drinking alcohol in a restaurant while carrying an otherwise legal CCd gun will become a crime if and when this becomes law.

No requirement to CC so still will have the option to OC even though I have a CHP. Now the question comes: can I drink (small glass of wine) if I have a CHP but am OCing? Would not though as I think it is bad form - still it is a question that I have pondered.

Yata hey
You know, that is a good point there Grapeshot. It sounds like this could be abused if passed. I really never even thought of it that way.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Wolf_shadow wrote:

Yata hey
Thanks Grapeshot I did forget to add while CCing. And I agree I think it is bad form.