• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The book burning will continue 'till public safety improves!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m2d26-The-book-burning-will-continue-till-public-safety-improves

SNIP

Religious, social, and political conflict since the middle ages thru today has resulted in periodic episodes of “book burning” to settle cultural scores or wipe out traces of civilization. Civilized people reject book burning.

And while burning books, protected by the First Amendment, is not acceptable by civil society in the United States today, unfortunately the same cannot be said for guns, protected by the Second Amendment. . . .

KBCraig

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

If only there were a few modern Hypatia around when you need them.

Yata hey

Legba

imported post

As a gun dealer who cannot at present get so much asa Hi-Point on backorder (seriously - I even called the president of their distribution company), I would love this. I've been telling people to come back in a couple of months when the market (let us hope) settles down. Whereas I'm glad that people are taking an interest in their rights, it's not doing anyone any good if the only ammo I can get is aluminum-cased 9mm - and even then, nothing to shoot it out of.

-ljp

YllwFvr

imported post

Legba wrote:
As a gun dealer who cannot at present get so much asa Hi-Point on backorder (seriously - I even called the president of their distribution company), I would love this. I've been telling people to come back in a couple of months when the market (let us hope) settles down. Whereas I'm glad that people are taking an interest in their rights, it's not doing anyone any good if the only ammo I can get is aluminum-cased 9mm - and even then, nothing to shoot it out of.

-ljp

Thats incredible! Ohio?! Unheard of... We cannot get black rifles or the ammo for them here but pistols and ammo are bountiful. I JUST got back from buying a new pistol and I had a tough choice of the several dozen to choose from.

I wish you luck sir

Can we say that the whole "Guns for Roses" and buy backs are part of this book burning of the 2A?

I was blown away when people were trading a gun for ONE ROSE and a $50 gift card. The insanity ceases to end. Last I heard there were 90+ turned in on the first day.

GreenCountyPete

imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
Thats incredible! Ohio?! Unheard of... We cannot get black rifles or the ammo for them here but pistols and ammo are bountiful. I JUST got back from buying a new pistol and I had a tough choice of the several dozen to choose from.

I wish you luck sir

Can we say that the whole "Guns for Roses" and buy backs are part of this book burning of the 2A?

I was blown away when people were trading a gun for ONE ROSE and a $50 gift card. The insanity ceases to end. Last I heard there were 90+ turned in on the first day.
i know a guy who turned in a gun for the 50 bucks when the deputy sherif picked it up to record the serial# the cilinder fell out and rolled across the table he just smiled and took his check it wasn't even close to shootable it was a broken peice of junk he had for years 50 bucks sounded like a good price for it .

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
Three was a reason the Great Library was burned and I would love to discover even the tiniest of clues as to why.
Plutarch mentions that Caesar burned the Library inadvertently but it had burned, to a greater or lesser extent, a number of times. I suspect that there was not a single great burning especially with the intention of keeping knowledge from d' masses that were less literate then than now.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:
Three was a reason the Great Library was burned and I would love to discover even the tiniest of clues as to why.
Plutarch mentions that Caesar burned the Library inadvertently but it had burned, to a greater or lesser extent, a number of times. I suspect that there was not a single great burning especially with the intention of keeping knowledge from d' masses that were less literate then than now.
Yeah, I guess oil lamps and papyrus scrolls aren't a great combination.

YllwFvr

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:
Yeah, I guess oil lamps and papyrus scrolls aren't a great combination.
You would think they would have tried one of those newfangled deals where they put a hole in the roof... oh a skylight! Fire and paper... wow. Who would have thought? Our local library is plate glass everything. Very nice reading. And its closed at dark, makes sense ya?

Tomahawk

imported post

Before the printing press copies of books and documentswere extremely valuable and hard to come by, so it was natural to try to protect them by sticking them in one place. Unfortunately this made them vulnerable to fire and their scarcity made the fires' impact much greater. Today you couldn't burn crappy books by Rosie O'Donnel and Hillaryfast enough to get rid of them, and the original is stored electronically anyway.

What we need is a way to quickly copy firearms so that destroying them is just as useless. The machinist equivalent of a laser printer.

M4FNG

imported post

BHO, The Ryan Leaf of Presidents... (you have to be a Cowboys fan to understand)

Our Nations Capital vs gun-bans: Over the five pre-gun-ban years the murder rate fell from 37 to 27 per 100,000 population. In the five post-ban years the murder rate rose to 35. Id.
Averaging the rates over the 40 years surrounding the bans yields a pre-ban DC rate (1960-76) of 24.6 murders. The average for the post-ban years is nearly double: 47.4 murders per 100,000 population. The year before the bans (1976), the District’s murder rate was 27 per 100,000 population; after 15 years under the bans it had tripled to 80.22 per 100,000 (1991).(FBI data on the District’s murder rates since 1960)

Dallas just had a "buy-back" of guns, redistributing $50 of my money. :cuss:

M4FNG

"If not us, whom? If not now, when? - Ronald Reagan

Legba

imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
Legba wrote:

-ljp

I wish you luck sir

Certain categories of guns are impossible to get for the time being (at wholesale anyway). "Assault rifles" were the first to get hoarded, of course - ARs and AKs, then SKS and whatever was left. Then the small carry pistols got scarce. Now the ammo is getting hard to get. We have some relatively expensive large-frame .45s, and we can get some of the more exotic calibers like .45 GAP, .357 Sig, and 10mm, but that's about it. Everything else is backordered indefinitely. We still have plenty of hunting-type shotguns and non-evil-black-rifles at least.

I would like to see some breakdown as to how many of the pieces turned in at these are functional. Turning the good ones over to dealers on the cheap would be good for us, would make more affordable pieces available to the public, who would be subject to NICS checks to buy them in turn, so I don't see any reasonable objection on public safety grounds. Still, I don't think anyone is going to split that hair. Guns are intrinsically evil, don't you know...

-ljp