• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senator Ensign to Protect 2nd Amendment Rights

varminter22

imported post

From: http://ensign.senate.gov:80/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Media.PressReleases&ContentRecord_id=af1e5d05-0044-fcac-153e-6f8ec79f2591

February 25, 2009
ENSIGN BILL WILL PROTECT SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS

Washington, D.C. - Today Senator John Ensign, Chairman of the Republican Policy Committee, introduced an amendment to protect Second Amendment rights in our nation's capital. Ensign is working with his colleagues and pushing for a vote on this issue this week.

“A fundamental right given to every American by our Founding Fathers is in jeopardy,” said Ensign. “The D.C. City Council is misinformed if they think that the facts and numbers are on their side on this issue. Statistics have shown that crime rates in the District actually rose as more and more Second Amendment rights were stripped away.”

The Supreme Court ruled last year in District of Columbia v. Heller that the D.C. City Council’s gun ban was unfairly and unconstitutionally restricting law-abiding citizens’ ability to defend themselves. In response to this ruling, the District of Columbia introduced burdensome gun laws to further infringe on the Second Amendment rights of residents of the nation’s capital.

“I am working with my colleagues to ensure that the Constitutional injustice that has been plaguing the District of Columbia for the past 30 years is brought to an end,” said Ensign.

Senator Ensign’s amendment is substantially similar to the bipartisan compromise that passed the House last year, with the exception of a few technical changes. This bill will repeal the most recent D.C. gun law package, the “Firearms Registration Amendment Act of 2008.”

Watch Senator Ensign’s YouTube video to protect Second Amendment rights: http://www.youtube.com/senatorensign
I certainly wish Senator Ensign luck with this endeavor!

And I hope everyone will thank him for his effort - and write your other senator and congressman.

varminter22

imported post

And: http://ensign.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Media.PressReleases&ContentRecord_id=b4d06970-cf0a-a9da-1fc8-c9ceb88b7f69&Region_id=&Issue_id=

February 26, 2009
ENSIGN’S BILL TO PROTECT 2ND AMENDMENT RIGHTS PASSES

Washington, D.C. - Senator John Ensign’s efforts to restore Second Amendment rights to residents of our nation’s capital paid off today as the Senate passed his amendment 62 to 36. Residents of the District have long suffered a Constitutional injustice due to an onerous and burdensome ban preventing law-abiding citizens from owning a gun.

“A fundamental right given to every American by our Founding Fathers is in jeopardy,” said Ensign, Chairman of the Republican Policy Committee. “But today the Senate spoke clearly that law-abiding citizens should be allowed to own a gun. I know that most of the people in my home state of Nevada would agree that this is a right that should not be trampled on.”

Ensign’s legislation will repeal the current D.C. gun registration laws that restrict law-abiding citizens from purchasing and registering guns. For 30 years, the District of Columbia had the harshest gun ban in the country, yet crime rates continued to soar.

“Report after report continues to show that excessive gun laws do not translate into lower crime rates,” Ensign added. “Our nation’s capital is example number one.”

The Supreme Court overturned this law in District of Columbia v. Heller. Instead of listening to the Supreme Court judgment, the D.C. City Council passed harsh gun purchase and registration laws to deter residents from exercising their Second Amendment rights.

“We’ve received support from law-abiding citizens all across the country, calling their senators and telling them to stand up for their rights. Now, as the Senate works with the House to finalize the D.C. Representation bill, I urge the American people to keep up the pressure,” said Ensign. “Urge your representation in Congress to keep my amendment in this bill we send to President Obama.”

Ensign’s amendment was included in the D.C. Representation bill. The Senate passed their version today, and the House is considering the bill soon. The differences in the two bills will be worked out in a conference between the two chambers. Ensign is urging his colleagues to keep his amendment in the final bill.

Senator Ensign’s amendment is substantially similar to the bipartisan compromise that passed the House last year, with the exception of a few technical changes.
###

Lord Vader

imported post

I seriously doubt it. In fact, I heard Senator Reid was trying to claim that Senator Ensign's bill, as well as another pro-gun bill, was out of order.

Loneviking

imported post

Senator Reid is doing his best to stop the bill throughcloture and every other means he can find. Senator Reid is truly a disgrace to the people of Nevada.

wrightme

imported post

I would heartily encourage everyone, especially Nevada residents, to contact Senators and express their support for the firearm pre-emption provisions introduced by amendment to S.160 by Sen. Ensign.

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm?State=NV

I did so today, expressing my support to Mr. Ensign, and requesting Mr. Reid to allow the firearms provisions to remain, and calling him to task for his attempts to prevent the residents of D.C. from exercising their 2nd Amendment Right to protect themselves.

Oh, and Hit This Poll!

http://ensign.senate.gov/public/ind...sPoll_id=b4df89bb-edb9-67a9-babc-e77363cce236

chrsjhnsn

imported post

Ensign is maybe the best politician we have had in the Senate
for the last 100 years or so.(from any state)
I wish he would run for Pres or Gov. ... and then come back to the Senate.
Ensign 2012!