Thread: Washington Open Carry Business Cards

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

I'm tired of carrying a huge pamphlet around in my pocket all the time. Here is a a business card based off of zigziggityzoo's card in the Michigan forum:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/21688.html

Based on the guidelines at http://www.secstate.wa.gov/flag/prohibition.aspx it seems that use of the flag in a non-commercial manner is acceptable as long as you don't superimpose text on top of it. If that is incorrect can someone let me know, so that I can remove it?

Once I confirm that the flag is legal, I will order a test batch of 250 cards from vistaprint.

Front:

Post imported post

I actually hadafew hundredprinted up around 5-6 months ago. Me and K.Bjornstad have been handing them out and giving some to other members at the Spokane get togethers...

Here is a shot of the front. The back has a faded american flag in the background with an exerpt from RCW 9.41.270 and some mention of State VS Casad

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

David.Car wrote:
    [SNIP]
    Very nice! Can you post the back as well?

Is it OK to superimpose text on top of the American Flag? I thought that was a no go.

Any comments on the legality of using the Washington flag?

Post imported post

diesel556 wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    [SNIP]
    Very nice! Can you post the back as well?

Is it OK to superimpose text on top of the American Flag? I thought that was a no go.

Any comments on the legality of using the Washington flag?
    I don't have a nice clear computer image of the back... Best I can do is a cellphone image while I am here at work... It will be incoming shortly.

Edit: and the picture isn't exactly of an american flag... think red and white stripes than a blue star in the middle... Well you will see shortly.

Edit again: Back of the card... I know I spelt Casad wrong. Wasn't worth reprinting the hundreds of cards.

Post imported post

I like that card David. I don't mean to nitpick, but it's State v. Casad, not Cassad.

My favorite quote from that case, and I use it all the time, is:

We note that, in connection with this case, several individuals have

commented that they would find it strange, maybe shocking, to see a man carrying a gun down

the street in broad daylight. Casad's appellate counsel conceded that she would personally react

with shock, but she emphasized that an individual's lack of comfort with firearms does not equate

to reasonable alarm. We agree. It is not unlawful for a person to responsibly walk down the

street with a visible firearm, even if this action would shock some people.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...AJ&invol=4

Post imported post

Kildars wrote:
    I like that card David. I don't mean to nitpick, but it's State v. Casad, not Cassad.
    I hate you for not reading what I wrote immediatly above the photo :P

Post imported post

Oh. I knew that, I was just testing you!

Post imported post

Here is another correction

Post imported post

Manu wrote:
    Awww damn it.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

David.Car wrote:
    Manu wrote:
    Awww damn it.
    Lol always the case...Murphy's law.....I like the card, easier to carry I would like to print up something like that to have in addition to the pamphlets.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Lol always the case...Murphy's law.....I like the card, easier to carry I would like to print up something like that to have in addition to the pamphlets.
    Yeah, I have a business card slot in my wallet that holds 10-15 at all times.

I don't always remember to pocket pamphlets, but I ALWAYS pocket my wallet.

Post imported post

some mention of State VS Casad
    FYI State V Casad was an unpublished opinion, meaning it doesn't set any precendent. (Spencer was published.) Depending on the source of the online file you get, a lot of the unpublished ones will say "DO NOT CITE."
    It does however, reaffirm that simply carrying guns in public is not illegal, and if they are carried in public, the Spencer rules are to be used.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

FYI, using the state flag is apparently a no go?

"The main thrust of the statute is the flag is to be used as a flag…not used for other purposes. As soon as an individual or company starts using it for some other use, it cuts against the grain of the statute.

Steve Excell
    Assistant Secretary of State
    P.O. Box 40220
    Legislative Building
    Olympia, WA 98504-0220
    Phone: (360) 902-4155
    Email: Sexcell@secstate.wa.gov
    **************************************"

Post imported post

"The main thrust of the statute is the flag is to be used as a flag…not used for other purposes. As soon as an individual or company starts using it for some other use, it cuts against the grain of the statute.
    I know that was ruled unconstitutional with the American flag in WA. Some Vietnem Vet came back and decided to draw a peace sign on it, he was prosecuted for flag desecration and won at the WA Sup Crt I think. The statute wasn't on the books for that long (or at least enforceable -it's still there.)

There's no way you are seriously going to let the government tell you that you can't print the WA state flag on something describing WA state laws and court cases.

If they really think it's illegal, send me a few. I haven't been arrested in nearly ten years now, and I would be more than willing to get back at it.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

cynicist wrote:
    If they really think it's illegal, send me a few. I haven't been arrested in nearly ten years now, and I would be more than willing to get back at it.
    :shock: .....

... :celebrate

It did seem shaky to me.

Post imported post

Anyone else in on this?

Whoever get arrested first gets "(YOUR NAME HERE) Vs. State of Washington" as another First Amendment precedent.