• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Wyoming National Parks?

CS9

imported post

I know they are passing laws about CCW in parks, but can one OPEN carry in Teton and Yellowstone Parkin Wyoming? I have been open carrying around the jackson area, and wonder if I can legally venture into Teton park with my 9mm on my hip. Thanks!

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The recent change only references concealed carry, and VCDL (the Virginia Citizen's Defense League), which got the ball rollingin the first place, has not said that OC is allowed.

Remember, the buildings are still off-limits! (grrrr)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

MountainGator wrote:
No, at this point it is ONLY CCW in any National Park, and then only if you have a CWP/CWL that is valid in the state that you are in.
No, that's not true. The concealment merely needs to be lawful under that state's law. A permit is not necessarily to conceal in many states, especially in vehicles.

Please read the regulation.

jmden

imported post

Mike wrote:
MountainGator wrote:
No, at this point it is ONLY CCW in any National Park, and then only if you have a CWP/CWL that is valid in the state that you are in.
No, that's not true. The concealment merely needs to be lawful under that state's law. A permit is not necessarily to conceal in many states, especially in vehicles.

Please read the regulation.

Hi all. First time posting here.

WY does not recognize my WA CCW. If I want to carryonahiking trailin Yellowstone NP, is there a way I can do that legally?

Thank you.

jmden

imported post

BB62 wrote:
jmden wrote:
...WY does not recognize my WA CCW. If I want to carryonahiking trailin Yellowstone NP, is there a way I can do that legally?...
Obtain a non-resident concealed carry license from a state that WYrecognizes.

Check http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Well...yes...there is that option. About the only state that would be worth my while to do that in is MT (in terms of time spent there) and I already have reciprocity there. Besided, you can't get a CCW in MT unless you are a resident. My folks-in-law from MT do not have reciprocity in WA when they come here, yet WA allows them to get a WA CCW.

It sure would be NICE to get 50 state reciprocity!

Where does carrying a handgun in you backpack lie in legal terms in WY? It's not immediately accessible, but it is concealed.

Thanks.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

jmden wrote:
BB62 wrote:
jmden wrote:
...WY does not recognize my WA CCW. If I want to carryonahiking trailin Yellowstone NP, is there a way I can do that legally?...
Obtain a non-resident concealed carry license from a state that WYrecognizes.

Check http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Well...yes...there is that option. About the only state that would be worth my while to do that in is MT (in terms of time spent there) and I already have reciprocity there...
What difference does the "amount of time spent there" make?? Aren't you looking for legal WY carry at the least cost? PA is $26 (from the Centre County Sheriff) for five years.

jmden

imported post

Yes, I was just sent the NRA-ILA update. I've already written the President and my congress members asking them to protect my right to self defense in National Parks should they have a voice in this at some point soon.

jmden

imported post

Well, sounds like we might get another chance to carry in the NP's...

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jmden wrote:
http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/license_application.asp

I had no idea you could do that and not be present. Thank you. $26---no brainer...
New Hampshire issues permits to non-residents who just mail a copy of any current carry permit from any state. Cost is only $20, and Wyoming recognizes this permit. Also, according to the information on USACarry.com, New Hampshire issues the permits within 14 days.

So soon as I get my Minnesota carry permit, I can mail that in and hopefully get a New Hampshire permit by August 8th, which is when I'm leaving for a vacation for Wyoming. I sent in last week for a Florida permit, then realized Florida is taking over 100 days to issue permits, so I was afraid I wouldn't have a permit to carry. So with this New Hampshire permit, it brought my hopes back up!

Anyways, back to the topic of discussion here....I think the block on the law to carry in National Parks has been reversed, and you can once again carry. But maybe somebody can confirm that for me(us).

jmden

imported post

I believe the new date for the concealed carry law in NP's to take effect is February 10, 2010. Why, I don't know. Just be aware of it.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jmden wrote:
I believe the new date for the concealed carry law in NP's to take effect is February 10, 2010. Why, I don't know. Just be aware of it.

Damn...

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jmden wrote:

The legislation that was passed by the US congress and signed into law by the Pres. was an ammemdment to the Credit Card Reform Act. The CCR act takes affect In Feb, and because the Crry in NP ammend didn't have a specified date to take affect, it will when the CCR act does.

Also, I believe that the Carry in NP law does not specify carry mode. Rather, carry will be according to the state laws in which the NP/NWP units are within.