• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCP question

chiefjason

imported post

So my wife has expressed a little interest in getting a CC. We have been to the range so she has handled handguns. We've talked about being prepared to use it or not get it at all. However, I would not consider her very knowledgable about guns. We are looking to get back on the range soon. So the question is what would she need to know before taking the class? Or is it set up to teach from the ground up so to speak? Thanks for the info.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

The CHP classes focus primarily on the laws regardingcarrying concealedin NC, including the legal use of deadly force. The classes that I've seen do not focus as much on firearm operation or marksmanship. They will most likely go over the basics, though.

Your wife should be proficient in the operation of the handgun she plans on qualifying with, and be able to consistently hit a man-sized target at 7 yards or so, preferably in the "kill zone". The qualification I took also involvedpoint shooting, or shooting from the hip,at 3-5 feet. I don't know if that is standard, but a lot of people were caught off guard with that.

As long as she can confidently and safely load, fire, unload, and clear the firearm she's qualifying with, she should be fine. It would also be helpful to practice drawing from the holster she will be qualifying with.

I hope that helps.

kdcyyz

imported post

I took the course back in 2006, so if anything has changed someone please chime in and let me know.

She wouldn't need to know much. The class is 8 hrs long (mine went a little longer). The majority of the course time was taken up by the insturctor going over law, law, and more law. He also touched on safety, maintenance, methods of carry, etc... On the second day there was a handgun proficiency test. I pre-qualified for the proficiency test well in advance (check to see if your range/instructor offers this option). The test went like this...

Handgun Proficiency Course of Fire-
The following is a 40 round handgun proficiency test using any type of silhouette target (i.e. B-­27, Q, TQ 19, TQI5, RSJ, QIT)(we used the Q target). The shooter must hit the target a minimum of 28 times.

One (1) Yard Line - 8 Rounds
Fire one round in 2 seconds from the ready position.
Fire one round in 2 seconds from the ready position.
Fire one round in 4 seconds from the presentation.
Fire one round in 4 seconds from the presentation.
Fire two rounds in 6 seconds from the presentation.
Fire two rounds in 6 seconds from the presentation .

Three (3) Yard Line - 10 Rounds
Fire one round in 3 seconds from the ready position.
Fire one round in 3 seconds from the ready position.
Fire two rounds in 4 seconds from the ready position.
Fire two rounds in 4 seconds from the ready position.
Fire two rounds in 7 seconds from the presentation.
Fire two rounds in 7 seconds from the presentation.

Five (5) Yard Line - 10 Rounds
Fire one round in 4 seconds from the ready position.
Fue four rounds in 8 seconds from the ready position.
Fire four rounds in 8 seconds from the ready position.

Seven (7) Yard Line - 12 Rounds
Fire three rounds in 7 seconds from the ready position.
Fire two rounds in 8 seconds from the presentation.
Fire three rounds in 7 seconds from the ready position.
Fire two rounds in 8 seconds from the presentation.
Fire one round in 6 seconds from the presentation.

I hope this helps.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

I cant remember my 8 hour CCH class covering ANYTHING but laws, laws, and laws.

It basically provides education on when a civilian has the legal right to draw a weapon on and/or shoot an attacker.

After the class, we shot from 3, 5, and 7 yards, and were required to have at least a 90% accuracy placed on our paper target's silhouette.

The class does NOT educate on firearms, types of firearms, how to properly operate specific firearms, or anything else like that. Its all about legal classifications.

chiefjason

imported post

Thanks a lot guys. Unfortunately, I bought a keltec 380 to keep at home for her to use. She canshoot it fine. She put probably 50 rounds on target the first time out with a mix of my 22, 380, then 45. She took to shooting quite well. Only a few fliers but they were still on the silouhette. The main problem is that she cannot work the slide on the 380 or 45. At leastnot in any wafe way while the pistol is loaded. So it looks like we will be in the market for a revolver before she takes the course. Might look into a basic pistol course too. Get some formal instruction.