• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S&W SW99 .40cal magazines

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I purchased a few from Cheaperthandirt.com quite a few months, if not a year ago. They don't have the 12 rounders in stock, but they appear to have 10 rounders in:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/26372-36.html

If you're lucky, they'll lose your order, send you a second one, then find your order and send you the first one. :D Extra mags are always welcome lol.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showpage?saleitemid=479541&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=10611

This website is out of stock, but allows backorders. They also have a decent price.

The S&W website also has the 10 rounders for sale, but no 12 rounders on the site anywhere. :?

Hope that helps.

Ruger Fan

imported post

Thanks. I picked up a new in the box 12 rounder yesterday at one of my local shops that happened to have one from back when the SW99 was being phased out of local LEO use. It had been hanging on the rack so long that it was covered in dust. I was more than happy to give it a new home for my new to me SW99 that should arrive Monday. Also, since they're identical in regards to the receiver, wouldn't I be able to use the magazines for a Walther P99? From what I've been able to dig up mags listed for the SW99 and the P99 have the same patent number stamped on them and I've seen one example of the packaging for the Walther that had the Smith & Wesson name on it as well.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yes, P99 magazines can be used, but make sure you have the correct follower color:

http://www.gunfaqs.org/P99FAQ/III/8.html

Obviously you'd want to go with the light blue, being the most recent. These different colors were made when they added a dimple to the .40 caliber magazines. You'll want to make sure that the mag you purchase has that dimple, as well:

http://www.gunfaqs.org/P99FAQ/III/9.html

As long as the mag has a light blue follower, you should be fine.

Ruger Fan

imported post

The 12 round mag I bought yesterday has an orange follower but also has the dimpled section like on the second gen mag housing. Also, the shape of the follower is identical to the medium blue version. Am I going to have trouble with this?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ruger Fan wrote:
The 12 round mag I bought yesterday has an orange follower but also has the dimpled section like on the second gen mag housing. Also, the shape of the follower is identical to the medium blue version. Am I going to have trouble with this?
Is it orange or red? SW99 mags have red followers. As long as it fits in your weapon and cycles properly, you're fine.

Ruger Fan

imported post

Looks more orange than red but I suppose it could be. It's definitelya S&W magazine. I've got 2 more 12 round mags coming from cheaperthandirt.com but they're actual Walther mags, they were out of the 10 round S&Ws.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

I bought a few from CDNN Sports and only paid between $10 & $12 per mag. They were S&W Brand too! I just sold my SW99, otherwise I'd have given you some mags! I had a whole pile of them... well ok, I only had 9 mags but that was more than I used!!

Ruger Fan

imported post

I appreciate the thought. I wound up receiving the original order of 1 12 rd and 1 10 rd along with the second 12 rd for a total of 3 12 rd and 2 10 rd for this particular gun. I'm now searching for the best (for me) holster. Got any recommendations?