• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB Open Carry

Dustin

imported post

Anyone else open carry with an IWB ?

SCOUT1.jpg

DESANTIS038.jpg

AZ State has a specific law stating the amount of holster needed to be exposed to stiull be considered OC. I was wondering is LA law had something similar.

Quote:

See, In Arizona, lawful open carry means having more than 1/2" square of the holster (excluding the belt loops) or weapon exposed; presuming a conventional holster (that includes all IWB and pocket holsters etc... but excludes pouches, fanny packs, and holsters specifically intended to disguise a gun, like a PagerPal).

So with a small gun (in this case a Kel-Tec P3AT), in a simple pocket sheath, lawful open carry looks something like this:
OpenCarryFrontCover.jpg

OpenCarrySideCover.jpg

OpenCarrySideUnCover.jpg

I don't think LA states anything similar, just wondering if anyone has seen it in the Law books.

Thanks

Dustin

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Bet those bottom pics would get you arrested in LA, or at least in Gonzales, without a permit.

I was thinking the same. Without a specific law like AZ, it might be best to avoid that kind of holster. But an IWB is much more revealing than that.

I have the same Convo going on here toohttp://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?p=165194&posted=1#post165194

I thought one guy was going to derail my topic with "CC vs OC" for a minute. Thankfully he backed off. I'm tired of that debate.

Dustin

imported post

I think I'll try to focus this discussion here. Bayoushooters defintely has it's CC @#$%s on alert. Especially one who's name starts with LSP. More than likely a Tropper. They couldn't help but take a jab at OC like most CC Trolls do.

It's sad how the age ofsome men has little bearing ontheir maturity.

I look back a few pages in the Carry thread. I lost track of how many times I saw Concealed in the Topic Title.

sheepdog

imported post

...having been a cop in La. back in the days of the dinosaurs...your holsters are perfectly legal for OC in La....always have been...a normally perceptive person could easily see that you're carrying and that you had no intent to conceal your weapon...dressed as the pictures show...my professional opinion is that you're in a better position to control your firearm than many outside belt holsters provide...having carried holsters of all types for over 40 years...sometimes in life, you get blasted just for being different....it washes off...go for it!!! Your mode of carry is discreet and I like it...the likelihood that you could go about your business all day and not get bugeyed attention is great....

...as an aside, we had a lawyer in my town who often at noon would strap on two Colt .45s in cowboy holsters and walk several blocks in the business district to make his OC point...he got so many man-with-a-gun calls that we assigned two cops to walk behind him...just far enough that folks didn't get nervous...the a-hole lawyer also delighted in representing dopers, thugs, and Bandidos....and was later struck by lightning while out in a boat...a thunderstorm came up and he stood up and announced "HERE I AM'...nuff said....

sheepdog

imported post

...Mark, I'm not the one with the problem...why don't you go have another cuppa joe instead of starting your typical crap this fine Sunday morning? We were having a nice day....haven't you got a motorcycle to ride or something????

...I've been doing some reading....trying to figure out why you're so cynical and against everything...I still don't like it....but I understand better...the crap the "system" put you and your family through( ie. the SWAT team debacle..) would put me into a purple rage....and that explains why you don't like cops, gov't, military... I disagree that they're all unneccessary and that they're all bad...I've known too many good cops to believe that....but I'll leave it at saying you should be driving a hell of a lot more than a motorcycle...what they did to you is not measurable in dollars....

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dustin,

Sorry, I usually agree with you about quite a lot, but I'll make the same point here that I did on BayouShooter: I think any holster that doesn't have some retention in it is not the best idea for OC. Admittedly, it felt a little wierd to agree with the anti-OC crowd about something, but I think they're right about this point. I really don't want to see one of their main arguments actually happen - that someone can sneak up on you and just grab the gun.

For the rest who haven't read the other thread, they also got into a tangent about IWB having an "intent to conceal" because IWB holsters are designed to be used for concealed carry. That's a bogus argument in light of State v Fluker and State v Ferrand. Taken together, they hold that OC is a legal right and is not a probable cause for any kind of police action. So from that standpoint, there's not a problem using an IWB to OC. If you're exceptionally careful and are trained well enough to handle a (literal) gun-grabber, then go ahead and use it.

BTW, Dustin, I guess I'm an idiot because I didn't connect your screen name there with the one here. :)

sheepdog

imported post

...I've carried openly and concealed for about 44 years...in about any kind of holster made...and I believe that retention is more about what we do than what the holster does...when I was on the street...retention was a strap or thumb snap...simple to defeat...later they've developed some really neat holsters which have mechanical answers to retention....and slow you down when the SHTF, unless you train very diligently...gross motor skills aren't adapted to "press here while drawing"....the only case I ever personally knew of an officer losing his weapon from the holster, the perp walked up behind him, popped the strap open, and snatched the gun before he knew someone was behind him...he was standing in a 7-11 getting coffee....it wasn't the holster...it was the mindset and lack of awareness....I personally carried in a high rise open top holster canted forward...the rubber sight track made it extremely hard to pull it from the back...my elbow was over the grip...worked for me...when I had a thumb snap holster...it was usually unsnapped...

The main complaint I have is that "they" may begin to legally prescribe what kind of holsters we can and can't wear, the more this is argued among us....a holster is made to carry our weapon where we want it and nothing more...I don't want to be made to carry a locking holster that I have to have a ring to draw from...and it's only a step or two from a retention holster to that...our alertness and reasonable care have worked all this time....they will still work...study the few cases where someone's weapon was taken...citizen or officer...it's seldom the fault of holster design...

We don't need more restrictions on how to carry...let common sense prevail here....IWB offers more security than many belt holsters...done it for years and never a problem...so have millions of others....

sheepdog

imported post

...where's the pics of the freedom cycles, Mark? Enjoyed your PM...thanks for the info...

sheepdog

imported post

...they oughta have custom license plates for sure....if nothing but "Thank" and "You"...

Dustin

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
Dustin,

Sorry, I usually agree with you about quite a lot, but I'll make the same point here that I did on BayouShooter: I think any holster that doesn't have some retention in it is not the best idea for OC. Admittedly, it felt a little wierd to agree with the anti-OC crowd about something, but I think they're right about this point. I really don't want to see one of their main arguments actually happen - that someone can sneak up on you and just grab the gun.

For the rest who haven't read the other thread, they also got into a tangent about IWB having an "intent to conceal" because IWB holsters are designed to be used for concealed carry. That's a bogus argument in light of State v Fluker and State v Ferrand. Taken together, they hold that OC is a legal right and is not a probable cause for any kind of police action. So from that standpoint, there's not a problem using an IWB to OC. If you're exceptionally careful and are trained well enough to handle a (literal) gun-grabber, then go ahead and use it.

BTW, Dustin, I guess I'm an idiot because I didn't connect your screen name there with the one here. :)

Yea, I ended up putting my name in the custom profile name field so folks from here could identify with me.

I'm with you on all sides here. I think I've had a slice of humble pie this weekend. It was warm though, soit wastoo bad.

What I have noticed from the "other side :p" is that there are older/ ormore maturefolks who get CC permits NOT for Tacitcal Advantages, but really for avoiding conflicts all together. More of a not giving into the system, but just having to work with it for now.

CC does restrict you in some sense, but it also free's you from ever being called out on trying to conceal your firearm.

Like in this case.

OC.ing with an IWB gives the LEO/Lawyer the opportunity to ask, "if you weren't trying to conceal it, why is it INSIDE your waist band ?"

With an OWB Holster, that same question wouldn't make sense.

So IMO, ONLY a CC Carrier, would be 100% safe from legal action,carrying with an IWB holster, as the photo presents it.

Now you might win in court without a CC permit, but a CC carrier wouldn't even make it to court.

SCOUT1.jpg

That seems to be the conclusion for this round. ;)

Anyone else ?

zxin_it

imported post

The way i understand things, is that the weapon has to be visible from 3 sides. It is not in the pictures. I hav seen holsters similar to those in pics listed as CC holsters. Not trying to start anything by no means. Just want to be "safe" when OCing. So far I have not been challenged, and would like to keep it that way.

Ron

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

zxin_it wrote:
The way i understand things, is that the weapon has to be visible from 3 sides. It is not in the pictures. I hav seen holsters similar to those in pics listed as CC holsters. Not trying to start anything by no means. Just want to be "safe" when OCing. So far I have not been challenged, and would like to keep it that way.

Ron
Just curious, Ron, where did you get the "3 sides thing?"I can't recall seeing it anywhere in Louisiana law or cases that I've read. Is it from another state, perhaps?