• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Movieland theater on the Boulevard

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Took the family down to the new theater on the Boulevard tonight. I was CC'ing as I usually do in theaters because it can get crowded coming and going. Didnt see any signs on the outside about firearms. The place apparently just opened last night.

As I walked in and headed straight for the concessions area, I noticed a roped off seating area to the left. Tables, chairs and beer and wine on tap. It was a defined area, marked by stanchions and ropes.

Checked the ABC license listing tonight when I got home and found this:

Item
Value

License

Trade Name
Movieland at Boulevard Square

Company Name
BTC Richmond LLC

Establishment Type
Restaurant

Establishment Sub-Type
Non-Government Property

Address
1301 N Boulevard

Richmond
VA23220

Origination Date
02/25/2009

Privilege Description
Wine and Beer On Premises

Privilege Status
Active

Effective Date
02/25/2009

Expiration Date
01/31/2010

Renewal Date
01/15/2010

Mixed Beverage Privilege
Description
N/A

Privilege Status

Effective Date

Expiration Date

Renewal Date

I would assume that you could CC while outside that roped off area like in the lobby or theaters, but that if you sat down inside that defined area, you'd have to OC. I wouldnt classify what I saw as a restaurant, but obviously the ABC board did. They must have some kind of menu.

Mall cop is funny, by the way.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks for the scouting report. I had though they might oiperate like the old movie house on Broad near Parham - where you could take your beer & dog/burger to your seat in the theater. They had tables coming off the back of the seat in front of you.

Next time you go, let us know their reaction to OC-ing.

stay safe.

skidmark

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm still confused about the assertions made here on OCDO that the ABC license type controls the regulations. The code says "restaurant or club as defined in 4-1.100, which states

"Club" means any private nonprofit corporation or association which is the owner, lessee, or occupant of an establishment operated solely for a national, social, patriotic, political, athletic, or other like purpose, but not for pecuniary gain, the advantages of which belong to all of the members. It also means the establishment so operated. A corporation or association shall not lose its status as a club because of the conduct of charitable gaming conducted pursuant to Article 1.1:1 (§ 18.2-340.15 et seq.) of Chapter 8 of Title 18.2 in which nonmembers participate frequently or in large numbers, provided that no alcoholic beverages are served or consumed in the room where such charitable gaming is being conducted while such gaming is being conducted and that no alcoholic beverages are made available upon the premises to any person who is neither a member nor a bona fide guest of a member.
"Restaurant" means, for a beer, or wine and beer license, any establishment provided with special space and accommodation, where, in consideration of payment, meals or other foods prepared on the premises are regularly sold.
"Restaurant" means, for a mixed beverage license, an established place of business (i) where meals with substantial entrees are regularly sold and (ii) which has adequate facilities and sufficient employees for cooking, preparing, and serving such meals for consumption at tables in dining areas on the premises, and includes establishments specializing in full course meals with a single substantial entree.
IANAL, but it seems clear to me that the code doesn't refer to their ABC license, it refers to their status as a restaurant or club under 4-1.100, and that should be the defining factor.

Sure, it seems quibbling, but I keep seeing people here refer to the ABC license, when the Code doesn't reference that as a determinant.

ProShooter

imported post

Tess wrote:
I'm still confused about the assertions made here on OCDO that the ABC license type controls the regulations. The code says "restaurant or club as defined in 4-1.100, which states

"Club" means any private nonprofit corporation or association which is the owner, lessee, or occupant of an establishment operated solely for a national, social, patriotic, political, athletic, or other like purpose, but not for pecuniary gain, the advantages of which belong to all of the members. It also means the establishment so operated. A corporation or association shall not lose its status as a club because of the conduct of charitable gaming conducted pursuant to Article 1.1:1 (§ 18.2-340.15 et seq.) of Chapter 8 of Title 18.2 in which nonmembers participate frequently or in large numbers, provided that no alcoholic beverages are served or consumed in the room where such charitable gaming is being conducted while such gaming is being conducted and that no alcoholic beverages are made available upon the premises to any person who is neither a member nor a bona fide guest of a member.
"Restaurant" means, for a beer, or wine and beer license, any establishment provided with special space and accommodation, where, in consideration of payment, meals or other foods prepared on the premises are regularly sold.
"Restaurant" means, for a mixed beverage license, an established place of business (i) where meals with substantial entrees are regularly sold and (ii) which has adequate facilities and sufficient employees for cooking, preparing, and serving such meals for consumption at tables in dining areas on the premises, and includes establishments specializing in full course meals with a single substantial entree.
IANAL, but it seems clear to me that the code doesn't refer to their ABC license, it refers to their status as a restaurant or club under 4-1.100, and that should be the defining factor.

Sure, it seems quibbling, but I keep seeing people here refer to the ABC license, when the Code doesn't reference that as a determinant.
True, but their establishment type as defined by the ABC board listed them as "restaurant". That's what I was going by. The determining factor should be what the Code says and you would hope they'd be one in the same.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think folks get confused because the establishment (club or restaurtant) needs to have a license from the ABC Board in order to sell alcoholic beverages. There are some clubs and restaurants that are not ABC licensees. It may be a "shorthand" to refer the establishment as "having a license" to indicate OC only/CC prohibited because of the selling of alcoholic beverages for on-site consumption.

The point I think ProShooter was trying to make was that there was a defined area, marked by ropes (probably the velvet kind;)) marking the boundaries of the ABC-licensed restaurant from the rest of the theater, which is not considered by the ABC Board or (I'm guessing) the City of Richmond as a restaurant.

My thoughts are that if you go into a place that sells food, you ought to carefully look for an indication of the sale of alcoholic beverages for on-site consumption. (Yes, that is a long phrasing that makes communication clumsy, but it's how the law words it.) If you see indications of such, look more closely to see if there is a defined area for the sale of such. It only takes a second or two, but can save much trouble.

Again, thanks to ProShooter for the scouting report.

stay safe.

skidmark

curtiswr

imported post

I'd love to find a movie theater in the area that allows OC. Friends want me to go see the Watchmen movie but I just don't want to go anywhere that won't support my right to protect myself and others.

ProShooter

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
I'd love to find a movie theater in the area that allows OC. Friends want me to go see the Watchmen movie but I just don't want to go anywhere that won't support my right to protect myself and others.
I dont think you'd have an issue here at Movieland. I CC'd as I had the whole family with me and OC'ing in a tight crowd with peoplebrushing up against you and your children wasnt the safest way to carry in my mind. I did OC in the seating area (took my jacket off) and no one panicked in those brief times.

curtiswr

imported post

I might venture it then. If they say get out and they have no signs like you say then I will simply ask for a refund.