• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WWUD - situation

hsmith

imported post

The womans father was describing something that happened to him way back in 1969 and wanted other opinions...

He was driving in DC along the river headed to work, merged over to the right, barely cut a guy off, but nothing to cause an accident - but the guy behind the guy behind him flips out. They come to a stop light and the father is blocked in by a car in front of him.

Guy two cars behind gets out of his car and marches up to the woman's dad, grabs him through the window (mind you it is '69, no ac in summer) and tries to pull him out of the car, bangs his head up pretty bad.

While I said he may have been able to drive a bit better (I mean who hasn't cut a merge too close by accident?), doing so is no reason to get out of your car and assault someone.

What would your response been (lets assume in VA where you can carry), blocked in your car, can't get out, nut ball marching towards your vehicle.

Getting out of your vehicle could be seen as a sign of aggression IMO... Grab your pistol in your hand and tell him GTFO?

nova

imported post

I'd draw my firearm as soon as I see them exit their vehicle and coming towards mine, and take aim while yelling STOP. If they don't stop moving towards me, shoot until the threat is no longer present. If I run out of ammo before the threat is stopped, I hit the gas and thank god I have a V8 in my truck and a steel bumper to get the hell out of there to get to a safer location. Dial 911 when safe.

kle

imported post

nova wrote:
I'd draw my firearm as soon as I see them exit their vehicle and coming towards mine, and take aim while yelling STOP. If they don't stop moving towards me, shoot until the threat is no longer present. If I run out of ammo before the threat is stopped, I hit the gas and thank god I have a V8 in my truck and a steel bumper to get the hell out of there to get to a safer location. Dial 911 when safe.
couldn't/shouldn't you just roll up your window and lock your doors first?*

I mean, I understand that you can't just drive away since you're blocked by the car ahead and the car behind, but remember our sidearms are supposed to be used as a method of last resort. I'd take being (literally) hot and bothered for a minute or two (until the light changes and the traffic moves on) over having to show up in court...

*ETA: maybe not easy to do, if the guy gets out before you notice him, and you have manual locks/windows, but you get the idea...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

That's an easy one.

When you saw the fellow get out of his car, and you saw he was unarmed, and you are boxed in...you get out of your car. YOU NEVER LET THE OTHER PERSON HAVE THE HIGH GROUND! Never.

At that point, you can apologize for cutting him off, but it probably won't do any good. From there on, your just going have to see who's the better man.

Your gun shouldn't even be a factor!

That's the reason you carry less than lethal weapons in addition to your gun. These days it's pepper or a Taser. As I recall, in 69...Tire irons were effective fight stoppers.:lol:

nova

imported post

kle wrote:
nova wrote:
couldn't/shouldn't you just roll up your window and lock your doors first?*

I mean, I understand that you can't just drive away since you're blocked by the car ahead and the car behind, but remember our sidearms are supposed to be used as a method of last resort. I'd take being (literally) hot and bothered for a minute or two (until the light changes and the traffic moves on) over having to show up in court...

*ETA: maybe not easy to do, if the guy gets out before you notice him, and you have manual locks/windows, but you get the idea...
You know how easy it is to break a window in a vehicle? All the windows except the windshield are simple tempered glass, which shatters easily with any impact, unlike the windshield which is laminated glass.

I missed the part that said I cut the other person off.
EDIT: reread the OP, my response remains as is.

coondog22554

imported post

First off...Do NOT allow yourself to be blocked in by traffic. Granted sometimes it may be unavoidable but you should always leave enough space between you and the car in front that will allow you to escape whether it's into oncoming traffic or over the curb.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In Virginia in 1969 you would have needed a permit from the Sheriff in order to legallycarry a handgun in your car. You usually needed to be white, have significant political clout, and have contributed to the Sheriff's last 2 or 3 elections in order to get that permit - some exceptions to some of those qualifications may have been possible.

In 1969 Virginia a lot of folks carried a roscoe in their back pocket without bothering to ask the Sheriff about any permit. The issue was not so much doing so, but what happened if you got caught. (Nowadays it seems only criminals don't bother to get permission to carry, and good folks without permission don't carry unless they OC.)

Also, in 1969 it would have mattered a great deal who you were and who the guy 2 cars back was in determining what you decided to do, and what consequences there would have been.

As for WWID? Do you mean in 1969 when I was young, fit andfresh from duty atseveral "civil disturbance" events as a Marine? Or if I was Joe Sixpack with a wife and family and a rent payment due every month?

Agreed the guy was lax in letting himself be grabbed and pulled out through the open window. But I'm not sure how much protection rolling up the window and locking the door might have provided -- unless I took some other actions like moving to the center or right side of the front seat, and/or picking up something that I could use as a defensive weapon (think short, pointy, and with some mass if I needed to swing it. AKA a tire iron.) I think I would sit and wait to see what angry guy was going to do, and if thetraffic lightchanged. If angry guy busts out the driver's side window, I can either scoot over to the other side and let him reach in while I whack/kick his arms or bail out the passenger side door. If he chases me I fend him off the best I can until I can hurt him enough to either quit or be put down.

If traffic starts moving while I am still inside the car, I try to get going. Let angry guy hang on if he wants. I may edge REAL close to the cars on my left as I drove away with angry guy hanging on.

As for calling the cops? Not in 1969.

stay safe.

skidmark

Chkultr

imported post

....Early 1990's 17-18 years old
....Now this happened before I was really aware of gun rights.

The old work van my uncle had did not have ac. Summertime, hot, humid with the windows down. Stopped at a light (i'm not the driver) several cars back and to sides (4 lanes of traffic). I was trimming my nails. Caught a guy running in our direction from three lanes over from the Dodge dealership. He ran up to my side of the van reached in and yelled HEY! Immediate reaction...I stabbed him in the hand with the clippers.

He had us mistaken for his buddies van. He apologized and walked back holding his hand. I bet he never ran up on a car again.

Since then I have been car jacked and that resulted into the ownership of my pistol and a CCW. Not saying I would immediately squeeze the trigger (like the stabbing), but it would be made known that if he/she didn't back the f up someone was going to get hurt.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Whatever happened to if you miss your turn, you go to the next exit/block/parking lot and turn around? You don't cut someone off, making a dangerous situation, if you made the mistake.

Anyway - not relevant to subsequent actions, but this was avoidable from the get-go.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Several years ago at Parham Rd. and Maynard, a BMW tried to cut inside on my left while I entered the turn lane to Maynard - he had been behind me coming off of 64 West.

The gentleman exited his vehicle and approached me cursing and red faced - told me to get my piece of sh*t off the road. Constant blaring of my horn did not attract the attention of Henrico LEO two cars in front of me - gentleman in question drew back his hand and swung.......hitting my mirror before stalking back to his car taking his superior attitude with him.

Often wondered what his reaction would have been if he had known that a .45 was just below the window sill pointed at him - glad it didn't escalate further.

Yata hey

KBCraig

imported post

The very first time a Texas CHL holder fired a shot in self-defense, it was in response to being punched repeatedly in the head while trapped at a stoplight.

The grand jury no-billed driver Gordon Hale, CHL. The puncher, Kenny Tavai, was DOA with a single .40 caliber hole in his chest.