• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first time open carrying infront of a crowd.

hometheaterman

imported post

I can't say this is my first time open carrying as I've oced in a vehicle before and also been in a gun shop twice ocing just to try it out. Most of them sort of know me. Not on a first name basis but since I buy quite a bit from them they are used to me and even usually give me a discount. I've carried openly twice in there.

However, usually if I open carry it's just carrying it openly in my vehicle and I usually leave it in there if I go in a store. Well I've sort of wanted to try open carrying it somewhere bigger.

Well, tonight we were going out to eat at Applebees and for some reason I just got this feeling that I should carry instead of leaving the gun in the car. I don't know what the feeling was. I'm not sure if it was a just that I wanted to try out ocing or if it was something else I just had a feeling that I should carry it inside with me.

Applebees was packed but I had a pretty good experience. I was pretty nervous though I must admit. No one said anything. I had one or two women look at me when I walked in the door but didn't stare for long really and no one ever said anything about it. The employes acted like it just wasn't there as did I. The person I was with knew a few people that worked there also. I didn't know them but they never said anything about it.

There was a booth across from us with 4 women in it. I never saw them pay any attention to me but the person I was with said that it looked like they were eying the gun as I got up to leave. I didn't pay enough attention to them to notice as I was already past them by this time and didn't look bad at them.

Overall I'd say it was a very positive experience and towards the end I wasn't quite as nervous as when I started. Just thought I'd post up my experiences.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

And good going with your gut or your feeling....who knows maybe someone was going to rob the place and decided not to because he saw your carrying.

nova

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
hometheaterman wrote:
I usually leave it in there if I go in a store.
Oh no, no no no...that's when you need it the most!
I admit I have done this a lot in the past, but stopped doing it after I had a near-encounter in Tysons involving some thug-types paying too much attention to me at 11:30 when I was walking to my truck after meeting up with some of my friends from HS I hadn't seen for awhile.

Don Barnett

imported post

Last time I was in Applebees (Woodbridge) and was OC'ing...the management send me over a "beer", "on the house". It could have been for a "glitch" in the service that I experienced...but the fact that I was armed made no difference to them.

tsannicolas

imported post

nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
hometheaterman wrote:
I usually leave it in there if I go in a store.
Oh no, no no no...that's when you need it the most!
I admit I have done this a lot in the past, but stopped doing it after I had a near-encounter in Tysons involving some thug-types paying too much attention to me at 11:30 when I was walking to my truck after meeting up with some of my friends from HS I hadn't seen for awhile.
the only time i left my gun in the car was when i didn't have my CHP and when I couldn't carry in the place i was going.

but now, i'm never without one. if i can't carry to a place that i'm going, if it's a store/restaurant/whatever, i just won't go to that certain establishment.

but i think i remember you posting up that experience... scared me, as i worked at that mall for a couple months, unarmed...

CharlesC

imported post

Open carrying in public is great. It took me about a month to get used to it.

I'm much more comfortable open carrying now and I think that most people are not put off by the gun. I think they naturally trust someone openly carrying a firearm.

I think a lot of it has to do with how YOU look and act as a person. If a buch of guys looking like gang-bangers showed up packing, the place would empty real fast. But a 6-6 325lbs 42 yo with graying hair?

Plus Imake it a point to smile a lot when I open carry. I look nicer that way.

-Charles

kd4hvz

imported post

I have found that, as others have said, appearance makes a difference. I always carry open in restaurants that serve alcohol, and always make sure I tip well, smile, act and dress professionally. It defuses fear in a lot of people. Same is true for Wal-mart or anywhere else. I go out of my way to be nice to people to help mold a new perception of people who carry firearms.

Keep carrying open when you feel so inclined and it will soon become natural.

-Michael

nemo

imported post

CharlesC wrote:
Open carrying in public is great. It took me about a month to get used to it.
Small point: NEVER get used to it.

If you mean that it is no longer the scary thing that it was, the first time that you went out the door while OC (I bet that 90% don't even notice, anyway; remind me to tell you about the time that I opened a bank account), then fine. But I NEVER go about my business in OC without being far more aware of my situation and of those around me then when I am not (I work in the district:banghead:, so rarely even put an arm in the trunk; what a relief to get back homeand arm myself!). While I OC, I do not KNOW that someone may try to "just play around" and try to grab my gun for a joke... but I have a plan for anyone who tries, and it ends with him winding up hurt, unless he first hits me upside the head, from behind, with a baseball bat. For that reason, I look around myself, while OC, a lot more than usual.

My thought is that if someone wants to take away my capability of deadly force, then he wants to do something to me that I would not let him do, if I remained armed, and I am not going to play around about it. I am not going to stand around and wait for someone to start laughing and to say "Gotcha!"

CharlesC

imported post

Of course you can "get used to it."

It took a month for me to get used to the holster and how tight I have to cinch my belt. How to get in and out of a car without banging the gun or getting it caught on something. How to adjust my pants and belt without feeling like I'm making a threating gesture. How to wear my cell phone and getting used to answering it with my left hand.

There are many things to get used to. Just carrying 2 extra pounds takes getting used to.

Do I let my guard down? Hell no. I'm even more alert now that I'm not thinking about physically carrying a weapon.

At first I thought everyone was looking at me. Now I know who really is looking at me.

I know what you are saying though. Don't take it for granted. And don't think of a weapon as a somethig you just "wear."

-Charles