Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: locked threads

Post imported post

So much for 1A...

Post imported post

This is not the government. This is not a government run forum. There are no 1st Amendment rights here. Everyone of us is a guest of the owners of the forum. When we do not act like polite guests should they have every right to curtail our activitie and/or ask us to leave.

-adamsesq

State Researcher

Post imported post

.45ballers wrote:
    So much for 1A...

Post imported post

So much for 1A...
    Since you are less than a year old, I will refrain from letting you have it with both barrells. I mean, you can't even read yet! It's no wonder you don't have even the most basic understanding of one of our most important founding documents. When you get older and can read, please do so.

Post imported post

I gotta say, it is rather stupid that they are locking topics, sometimes it seems for no reason, but then idiots like AWDStylez, Devil's Advocate, and PaulBlart redux are allowed to hang around and cause the threads to get locked in the first place. Don't bother attempting to contact anyone about this, you'll just get blown off. This forum has one foot in the grave.

Post imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
    This forum has one foot in the grave.
    Wow... harsh.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

How funny and sad that this forum is all about rights epsecially the 2nd and the 1st is band???? Wow and here i thought we were all adult here guess i will be taken to school as to limited freedoms

Post imported post

1st amendment has no power over privately run or own establishments.

TV stations, radio stations, websites, newspapers, ect.

They all have the ability to control what is said, seen, printed, because it is their ownership.

Your argument is equivelant to saying you have the right to post a sign on my front lawn because it is freedom of speech...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

.45ballers wrote:
    So much for 1A...
    I've always considered that when I start paying John and Mike for bandwidth and maintenance, then I can complain about their rules.

Just to put that in perspective, I've made monetary contributions to the forum.

And, I've not complained to them, even privately, about their rules, even though I myself have experienced thread-lock mid composing a post, and had a thread I started deleted.

Ihave little sympathy forviews that complain about their rights while failing to examine the rights of the party against which they are complaining.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

yes this is a private owned forum but as far as i am concerned if someone donates money to this forum then they just baught there right to speak there mind and no one should be able to tell them they can not speak it how they see it.

Look at co-ops everyone ownes it so from the poor person to the wealthy they all have there right to speak.

Last time i heard private or not as long as the server that runs this forum sits in the USA the owners of this have no right to decide who can say what. 1A isnt just for the govt its for every AMERICAN who chooses to use there rights.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

jarhead1055 wrote:
    yes this is a private owned forum but as far as i am concerned if someone donates money to this forum then they just baught there right to speak there mind and no one should be able to tell them they can not speak it how they see it.

Look at co-ops everyone ownes it so from the poor person to the wealthy they all have there right to speak.

Last time i heard private or not as long as the server that runs this forum sits in the USA the owners of this have no right to decide who can say what. 1A isnt just for the govt its for every AMERICAN who chooses to use there rights.
    Well, then, with any luck, John and Mike will ban you.

You don't buy the right to speak your mind. At best, you buy the right to speak your mind within the limits of their rules. In fact, contributing money is a declaration thatone supports the forum, whichincludes its rules.

Even if you made a money contribution, you could only bypass the rules if John and Mike agreedto that bypass asa condition ofyour contribution.

If you don't agree to their forum rules, yet use facilities they started, maintain, and pay for to some extent, you're basically both a parasite and misleading--seeming to give your assent to their forum rules while truly not.

If you want the full legal limit ofa right to speak your mind, start your own forum.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

jarhead1055 wrote:
    SNIP Last time i heard private or not as long as the server that runs this forum sits in the USA the owners of this have no right to decide who can say what. 1A isnt just for the govt its for every AMERICAN who chooses to use there rights.
    I guess you forgot a fundamental element of 1A.

The 1st Amendment doesn't exist to give everyonea right to speak their mind. That would be self-defeating.

Freedom of speech and press exist only to prevent suppression of beneficial information, views, opinions, analysis. Harmful views, stupid views, dangerous views are only coincidentally protected.

We don't protect a right for the Communist Party to try to convince everyone of dangerous and harmful policies because those policies are equally valid and beneficient. They have no such right to harm others. We extend coverage of the right to them against government infringement because we cannot afford to let government be the ones to make the decision about which is beneficial speech and which isn't.

Its a little like voting. People weren't given the vote because the Framers had some idea that idiots deserved as muchchance to wreck everything as good people had to build something worthwhile. The vote was given to the people for one exact reason only--to dilute power and avoid tyrrany.

John and Mike have no more obligation to let you speak on their forum than the Washington Post has an obligation to let you take over their presses.

Post imported post

jarhead1055 wrote:
    The first amendment is not only not "just for" the gov't it is not "for" the gov't at all. It is a constitutional restriction ON the gov't. As an incorporated amendment, no level of gov't can pop onto OCDO and delete a thread it doesn't like. However, as it is a restriction on gov't, it does not restrict private property rights (except in CA malls I guess) so if you came into my house or my forum and said something I did not like I can tell you to leave and bar you from reentry or delete your post. The first amendment doesn't guarantee someone the right to say whatever they want, wherever they want, whenever they want without consequence. See for example the concept of contempt of court if someone were to choose to start exercising their 1A rights in the middle of trial, or the potential consequences of "fighting words" for reference.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I agree w/ their right to lock threads. I'm just curious why the one about the AWB got locked.

Post imported post

jarhead1055 wrote:
    PM me your home address, I have some friends who want to come into your house and preach to you for a few hours. You're going to let them right? This is American and they have the freedom of speech. If you stop them, you're anti-american.

Post imported post

That's right, freedom of speech includes the right to aggress against another person, so long as the means of aggression is speech.

:quirky

Post imported post

The shallowness of Constitutional understanding displayed in this thread is appalling.

Post imported post

deanf wrote:
    The shallowness of Constitutional understanding displayed in this thread is appalling.
    Good thing your here to explain to us all about the constitution. After all, we are to stupid to read or comprehend according to you.

Post imported post

deanf wrote:
    Well, explain, please.

Post imported post

WOW!!!!!!You learn something new every day. If I buy a share in Fox News they have to let me go on there and say whatever I want to any time I want to. How about if I just send them a $5 donation. :celebrate

Post imported post

Well, explain, please.
    Why waste your time if someone else has already done it in this thread quite well?

The protections in the Bill of Rights are restraints upon government. The Bill of Rights does not restrain private parties.

I can't believe we have to keep explaining this.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

deanf wrote:
    Well, explain, please.
    Why waste your time if someone else has already done it in this thread quite well?

The protections in the Bill of Rights are restraints upon government. The Bill of Rights does not restrain private parties.

I think they just weren't sure what you meant, who you were criticizing. Your post wasa little equivocal--could be taken two ways.

But, its all clear now. Thanks.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Look the owners of this site have cited specific rules for us to follow. If we don't follow them or our threads don't, they have the right to remove them, actually they have the right to remove them even if they do, its there site. Sometimes I might disagree with them but that is there prerogative and I have learned and enjoyed so much information on this site that I am willing to try to abide by their rules. Its their ball and court so its their game. Plus now that I have been on here longer and this really is the first forum I ever joined , I have learned to appreciate what they have done and are doing and the reasons behind the rules for this forum. We can't just have a free for all unlimited topics going on it defeats the purpose of this forum.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

State Researcher

Post imported post

deanf wrote:
    Well, explain, please.

The entitlement culture is not unique to liberals it seems...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Edited to delete comment based on stupid mistake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast