Thread: Don't bring up concealed carry on campus at Central CT State Uni.

Post imported post

http://therecorderonline.net/2009/02/24/professor-called-police-after-student-presentation/

During the presentation Wahlberg made the point that if students were permitted to conceal carry guns on campus, the violence could have been stopped earlier in many of these cases. He also touched on the controversial idea of free gun zones on college campuses.

That night at work, Wahlberg received a message stating that the campus police “requested his presence”. Upon entering the police station, the officers began to list off firearms that were registered under his name, and questioned him about where he kept them.

They told Wahlberg that they had received a complaint from his professor that his presentation was making students feel “scared and uncomfortable”.

I do like the quote at the end of the article, though:

“If you can’t talk about the Second Amendment, what happened to the First Amendment?” asked Sara Adler, president of the Riflery and Marksmanship club on campus.

Post imported post

At what point is enough enough? Sue her for violating his 1st amendment rights, mental anguish and why did the police pull his firearms records? They had no right to do any of that, the student should have asked if he was being detained and left without comment.

That just makes me so upset. This school needs to wake up and it seems the only way for liberal professors to do so and realize that just because they don't like a topic, that it's not illegal is to sue them when they fall to violating our rights....

Sorry if that didn't make sense...I'm furious about this.

Post imported post

http://therecorderonline.net/2009/02...-presentation/

For CCSU student John Wahlberg, a class presentation on campus violence turned into a confrontation with the campus police due to a complaint by the professor.
    On October 3, 2008, Wahlberg and two other classmates prepared to give an oral presentation for a Communication 140 class that was required to discuss a “relevant issue in the media”. Wahlberg and his group chose to discuss school violence due to recent events such as the Virginia Tech shootings that occurred in 2007.
    Shortly after his professor, Paula Anderson, filed a complaint with the CCSU Police against her student. During the presentation Wahlberg made the point that if students were permitted to conceal carry guns on campus, the violence could have been stopped earlier in many of these cases. He also touched on the controversial idea of free gun zones on college campuses.
    That night at work, Wahlberg received a message stating that the campus police “requested his presence”. Upon entering the police station, the officers began to list off firearms that were registered under his name, and questioned him about where he kept them.
    They told Wahlberg that they had received a complaint from his professor that his presentation was making students feel “scared and uncomfortable”.
    “I was a bit nervous when I walked into the police station,” Wahlberg said, “but I felt a general sense of disbelief once the officer actually began to list the firearms registered in my name. I was never worried however, because as a law-abiding gun owner, I have a thorough understanding of state gun laws as well as unwavering safety practices.”
    Professor Anderson refused to comment directly on the situation and deferred further comment.
    “It is also my responsibility as a teacher to protect the well being of our students, and the campus community at all times,” she wrote in a statement submitted to The Recorder. “As such, when deemed necessary because of any perceived risks, I seek guidance and consultation from the Chair of my Department, the Dean and any relevant University officials.”
    Wahlberg believes that her complaint was filed without good reason.
    “I don’t think that Professor Anderson was justified in calling the CCSU police over a clearly nonthreatening matter. Although the topic of discussion may have made a few individuals uncomfortable, there was no need to label me as a threat,” Wahlberg said in response.“The actions of Professor Anderson made me so uncomfortable, that I didn’t attend several classes. The only appropriate action taken by the Professor was to excuse my absences.”
    The university police were unavailable for comment.
    “If you can’t talk about the Second Amendment, what happened to the First Amendment?” asked Sara Adler, president of the Riflery and Marksmanship club on campus. “After all, a university campus is a place for the free and open exchange of ideas.”

Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Banned

Post imported post

we all knew phony registration laws would just be used against normal people.

put those cops in jail where they belong

Post imported post

deleted.

Post imported post

nyc_paramedic wrote:
    forever_frost wrote:
    ... That just makes me so upset. This school needs to wake up and it seems the only way for liberal professors to do so and realize that just because they don't like a topic, that it's not illegal is to sue them when they fall to violating our rights....
    May I ask how you know this professor is a liberal? Do you have first hand knowledge? Or are you assuming this?
    Hmmm, let's see...

College professor

Connecticut

Communications 140 class

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Post imported post

dbc3804 wrote:
    nyc_paramedic wrote:
    forever_frost wrote:
    ... That just makes me so upset. This school needs to wake up and it seems the only way for liberal professors to do so and realize that just because they don't like a topic, that it's not illegal is to sue them when they fall to violating our rights....
    May I ask how you know this professor is a liberal? Do you have first hand knowledge? Or are you assuming this?
    Hmmm, let's see...

College professor

Connecticut

Communications 140 class

You left out the irrational fear of firearms and those who legally own them. :P

Post imported post

deleted.

Post imported post

Doing a little investigation I find that Paula M. Anderson is an "instructor" not a "professor" and started instructing at CCSU between 7/1/07 and 9/19/07; someone of the same name has a gig as a lecturer at Tunxis Community College in CT; and I find that if she made any 2008 political donations it was for less than $200 and therefore not reported. In short, I can find no evidence of her political leanings one way or another in a quick search.

However, there is an old saying (variously attributed) that I think applies here: The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that sure is the way to bet.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

nyc_paramedic wrote:
    dbc3804 wrote
    Hmmm, let's see...

College professor

Connecticut

Communications 140 class

Oh, I see.

Let's:

You have a picture of a semi-auto for your avatar and your from Virginia. So, it is pretty obvious that you're a toothless, backwoods, illiterate, redneck with a house on wheels?
    And when you're not on the 'puter cruising web forums, I can find ya on the porch playing banjo?

Not that I'm actually calling you any of these things.

Cheers.
    I see we have a new TROLL, don't feed the trolls.

Post imported post

nyc_paramedic wrote:
    dbc3804 wrote
    Hmmm, let's see...

College professor

Connecticut

Communications 140 class

Oh, I see.

Let's:

You have a picture of a semi-auto for your avatar and your from Virginia. So, it is pretty obvious that you're a toothless, backwoods, illiterate, redneck with a house on wheels?
    And when you're not on the 'puter cruising web forums, I can find ya on the porch playing banjo?

Not that I'm actually calling you any of these things.

Cheers.

Well, the "about" section of their web site says that they are a liberal arts institution. Also, in my years at college and the 4 years each that my son and daughter attended, the only conservative professors that I ever met were the ones who had real jobs during the day and taught classes at night. Everyone else I would characterize as flaming liberals. My schooling was back during the Vietnam war days, and the professors were very vocal on their political positions.

In the highlighted part above, I have pointed out your grammar issues (you're not your) so that should help answer the literacy issue for both of us. Except for the wisdom teeth, they are all mine. It's kind of hard to get a six bedroom house on wheels, but I suppose it could be done. While I do have some issues with the Richmond metro area, I can't see it as being backwoods, but we do have some vegetation around the buildings instead of only in a couple of parks. I don’t really have a red neck. I like to stay out of the sun. But I am descended from veterans of both the revolutionary and the “war of Northern aggression”. I am a card-carrying member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, so yes I do have a lapel pin that I wear to the meetings that sports a Confederate flag. (Since I am sure that is what you are alluding to). I do wish I could play the banjo. I did play the saxophone back in high school. Also being of Scottish descent, I wish I could play the bagpipes.

In addition to the semi-auto pictured, (a Colt 1911 Government Model – since you appear to be from a gun-free zone you may not recognize it), I also have a Glock 23 and a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag revolver. I suppose if I had used the revolver in my avatar, you would have had me be a tobacco-chewing, horseback riding cowboy.

Anyway, come on down to Virginia and we can show you how it is to live free.

Danny

Post imported post

He went to talk to the police voluntarily. This was stupid. But since he screwed up, and the cops and teacher were out of line, I hope he makes some formal complaints. Especially if the police are supposed to have reasonable suspicion to dig up his records.

Even in someplace extremely anti gun, harassment such as that should piss off a police chief or college administrator.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I didn't think of this beforehand, but did just now that reasonable suspicion was mentioned:

From what I've been through most classes that will have you do a presentation would also have you submit a written outline or version of it as well. I wonder if the professor offered the presentation to the police, or if the police even asked to see it/look over it...

Post imported post

Another thread already started here:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...jump_to=374591

Post imported post

Post imported post

nyc_paramedic wrote:
    forever_frost wrote:
    If it talks like a lib and acts like a lib... It's a lib.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

deleted

Post imported post

nyc_paramedic wrote:
    Like it or not, many liberals are anti-gun, and most anti-gunners are liberal. It is a pretty safe bet that when someone over reacts to the presence of a gun, theyare a liberal.

It is also a fact that academia is dominated by liberal leaning professors.

I'm sorry if you thought I was trying to insult you, but that was not my intention. Was looking for a good debate. Guess not here...
    Maybe it was your passive aggressive approach that caused people to feel insulted.

If you want a good debate, you must first have at least a basic knowledge of the subject matter. The fact the you did not know what a 1911 (possibly the most well know handgun in the world)looks like shows that you don't have much experience or knowledge when it comes to firearms.

There are many good debates that take place here, you just have to realize that just because someone doesn't have the same level of education, or live in a big city on one of the coasts, doesn't make them stupid.

If you truly want to learn what self defense rights are about, stick around and read what is going on.

Post imported post

deleted.

Post imported post

nyc_paramedic wrote:
    Gordie wrote:
    Like it or not, many liberals are anti-gun, and most anti-gunners are liberal. It is a pretty safe bet that when someone over reacts to the presence of a gun, they are a liberal. It is also a fact that academia is dominated by liberal leaning professors.
    I beg to differ. I honestly believe that many people --liberals *and* conservatives-- don't have enough information in this day and age to make an informed decision. And if someone overreacts to the presence of a gun, it's more likely because of the fact that they have not had any exposure to firearms, *not* because of their political leanings.

Please tell me where this fact concerning liberals and academia can be substantiated? Only liberals get teaching jobs? Please, please, please, tell me you're not serious.
    Tell me what information is lacking in this day and age to prevent an informed decision on the 2nd Amendment. The 2nd amendment is clearly written, and any confusion about the wording can be cleared up by a simple investigation into word usage at the time of it's writing.

As for liberals in academia, you can't honestly be suggesting that the education system in our country is not left leaning.

An article by the Washington Post dated Tuesday, March 29, 2005:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Mar28.html

College faculties, long assumed to be a liberal bastion, lean further to the left than even the most conspiratorial conservatives might have imagined, a new study says.

By their own description, 72 percent of those teaching at American universities and colleges are liberal and 15 percent are conservative, says the study being published this week. The imbalance is almost as striking in partisan terms, with 50 percent of the faculty members surveyed identifying themselves as Democrats and 11 percent as Republicans.

The disparity is even more pronounced at the most elite schools, where, according to the study, 87 percent of faculty are liberal and 13 percent are conservative.

"What's most striking is how few conservatives there are in any field," said Robert Lichter, a professor at George Mason University and a co-author of the study. "There was no field we studied in which there were more conservatives than liberals or more Republicans than Democrats. It's a very homogeneous environment, not just in the places you'd expect to be dominated by liberals."

In an article dated Tues., Dec. 28, 2004 from MSNBC:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6739040

It says:

Professors and politicsA recent study by Santa Clara University researcher Daniel Klein estimated that among social science and humanities faculty members nationwide, Democrats outnumber Republicans by at least seven to one; in some fields it’s as high as 30 to one. And in the last election, the two employers whose workers contributed the most to Sen. John Kerry’s presidential campaign were the University of California system and Harvard University.

Another article also describes the lack of diverse views on college campuses.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/986138/posts

I never said that there were no conservatives in education, just very few by comparison, and yes, I am very serious. Can you show that there is a balance of ideas in the education system?

You point out some of the worst examples of what is said on this forum and imply that the pro gun community is out of line. In some cases you are right. What about some of the extreme examples from the anti crowd?

Rosie O'Donnell is a prime source for this.

http://www.alphadogweb.com/firearms/rosie.htm

"I think there should be a law -- and I know this is extreme -- that no one can have a gun in the U.S. If you have a gun, you go to jail."
    - Rosie O'Donnell, April 21, 1999:

"I don't care if you want to hunt, I don't care if you think it's your right. I say 'Sorry.' it's 1999. We have had enough as a nation. You are not allowed to own a gun, and if you do own a gun I think you should go to prison."
    - Rosie O'Donnell, 1999:

Let's not forget Carolyn McCarthy, who had this memorable exchange:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U

Tucker Carlson: In February you introduced the assault weapons ban and law enforcement protection act of 2007. It would regulate semi-automatic assault weapons including weapons that have pistol grips, a forward grip or something called a "barrel shroud". Weapons with a barrel shroud would be regulated. What's a barrel shroud and why should we regulate it?

Carolyn McCarthy: I think... I think the more important thing is... and it also would have had banned the large capacity clips that Colin Fergeson had used and also the killer.

TC: Right, I read the legislation and it said that it would regulate barrel shrouds. hat's a barrel shroud and why should we regulate them?

CM: The guns that were chosen back in those days were basically the guns that most gangs and criminals were using to kill our police officers. I'm not saying it was the best bill, but that was the best bill we could get out at that particular time.

TC: Do you know what a barrel shroud is?

CM: I actually don't know what a barrel shroud is.

TC: Oh, OK. Because it's in your legislation.

CM: I believe it's a shoulder thing that goes up.

TC: No. It's not.

I could find dozens more, but time and space constraints keep me from doing so at this time.

The big difference between people on this forum and the people in my examples, is access to network news media. People see these individuals and others like them on TV and think "They're on TV, they must know what they're talking about."

If people get carried away in defense of their rights, it is only because they have to defend against this kind of nonsense. The frustration can get the best of us.

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    “I don’t think that Professor Anderson was justified in calling the CCSU police over a clearly nonthreatening matter. Although the topic of discussion may have made a few individuals uncomfortable, there was no need to label me as a threat,” Wahlberg said in response.
    The only threat in that classroom was the professors calling in the JBTs for politically incorrect speech . Sheeeeeeesh, when will this crap end?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    deepdiver wrote:
    “I don’t think that Professor Anderson was justified in calling the CCSU police over a clearly nonthreatening matter. Although the topic of discussion may have made a few individuals uncomfortable, there was no need to label me as a threat,” Wahlberg said in response.
    The only threat in that classroom was the professors calling in the JBTs for politically incorrect speech . Sheeeeeeesh, when will this crap end?
    It won't. It's only going to get worse as the wussification of America comes to fruition.

Post imported post

deleted.

Post imported post

Gordie wrote:
    Tell me what information is lacking in this day and age to prevent an informed decision on the 2nd Amendment. The 2nd amendment is clearly written, and any confusion about the wording can be cleared up by a simple investigation into word usage at the time of it's writing.
    nyc_paramedicwrote:
    You and I might think that there is no confusion about the wording, but that is not the reality of it. And when I said "information" I meant "the details" of modern gun ownership. You'll see what I mean much later in my reply.
    Snip: And getting back to the beginning of your reply in regards to "Tell me what information is lacking in this day and age..." This is the information most people who are ignorant of guns are lacking. They need intelligent encounters, like the aforementioned, to make an informed decision about the current gun debate. Not rants about "Kommiefornia".
    I don't know what exactly you mean by " "the details" of modern gun ownership". Why would the 2nd Amendment mean anything different today than when it was written?

I read the whole thing and still didn't see the answer to my question. It sounded like the Obama Campaign,

"We need change. Change we can believe in. Change for hope. We need to hope for change that will cause change to allow us to hope."

WHAT?:what: The problem is that no one ever detailed the change that they were going for. Now we are seeing it, and it isless than hopeful.

You don't point out what information is lacking, only that some people are ignorant of the information which is available. Anyone who cares to investigate the facts can have access to all the information needed to understand what the 2nd Amendment is about. I agree that intelligent encounters are the best way to educate someone, but if that person does not act in an intelligent manner and will ignore facts to protect their deeply held opinions,then it can hardly be an intelligent exchange, it becomeslike trying to talk someone out of a cultat that point.

As far as the Kommiefornia comments, you are right, sometimes they are less than helpful. But, before you pass judgement you need to spend time in one of the border states that absorb Californians in large amounts, only to see the transplants try to change us into what they just left behind.

From the first article you linked:

"It's hard to see that these liberal views cut very deeply into the education of students. In fact, a number of studies show the core values that students bring into the university are not very much altered by being in college."

Wow, quoting out of context, one of the favorite tactics of someone with a weak argument.

This statement was amade by Jonathan Knight, director of academic freedom and tenure for the American Association of University Professors, in reply to a question about how the disproportionately liberal bias of college faculty affects the students.

"The question is how this translates into what happens within the academic community on such issues as curriculum, admission of students, evaluation of students, evaluation of faculty for salary and promotion."

He says that several studies show that there is little effect on the core values of students. What studies? Do you really expect him to say that they are attempting and succeeding in changing the core values of students in their schools? What would the parents who are paying for their kids education say if they were told "Thanks for sending your kids to usfor their reeducation and values training. We will see that they turn away from everything that you taught them that doesn't comply with the accepted standards."?

American Association of University Professors (AAUP), organization of college and university teachers. It was founded (1915) for the purpose of defending faculty rights, most notably academic freedom and tenure (see tenure , in education). It also addresses the issues of college and university government and accreditation, professional ethics, the economic status of the profession, and the status of minorities and women in the academic profession.

AAUP is the labor union for the university (CCSU), Paula Anderson is of course a member as all staff and faculty are required to be.

Funny, white guys are left out of their mission statement completely. The fact that they specifically mention "minorities and women in the academic profession"says that some people get preferential treatment in their organization. If they were looking out for true equality, they would not mention minorities or women specifically, they would all be staff or faculty.

I never said that there were no conservatives in education, just very few by comparison, and yes, I am very serious. Can you show that there is a balance of ideas in the education system?
    Yes, I can. You have to understand the simple fact that the vast majority of people's political beliefs overlap greatly, e.g., someone who believes that welfare in some form is a good idea is not automatically a "flaming liberal", because he/she might also be a proponent for limited government and support an individual right to bear arms. And this why I think this has little, if any, effect in the educational system. There's your balance.
    Nice story, now can you show where there is balance of ides, and not just tell an anecdote about how there could be balance?

I know several people who have gone to college (I admit that I have not), and they tell me how biased it is in the classroom. there is no room for debate in most classrooms, no opportunity to challenge the authority of the person behind the podium. Any questioning of their authority will likely affect your grade.

I also know several people in the university system, including a member of the Board of Regents,none of them display a broad overlapping of political belief. Only one is in any way a conservative, and he avoids discussing anything philosophical with the others.

And this why I think this has little, if any, effect in the educational system
    The evidence would suggest otherwise.

As far as marketing to certain groups, I don't know what to say. I am friendly to everyone until they give me a reason notto be. I can't help what I am. If someone is somehow intimidated by a white male, that is their problem, I can't be an Asian woman, or anything else, I am who I am. I have friends of all backgrounds, races, and political leanings. I consider myself lucky because of them.

If people get carried away in defense of their rights, it is only because they have to defend against this kind of nonsense. The frustration can get the best of us.
    And if you get "carried away" in defense of your rights, then why should people who are ignorant of guns trust you with a firearm in the first place? Are we not, as gun owners, the ones who should never get carried away? Should we not always be calm, level headed, and never escalate? Don't we do this now when one carries a pistol?
    WhenI say "get carried away" I meant that as using words that we might not usually use. Most people would understand my statement as such. This is a far cry from resorting to violence which your statement implies. If saying something that you would not normally say disqualifies you from gun possession, then I don't know anyone who could be trustedto own a gun, police and military included.