• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't bring up concealed carry on campus at Central CT State Uni.

curtiswr

imported post

http://therecorderonline.net/2009/02/24/professor-called-police-after-student-presentation/

During the presentation Wahlberg made the point that if students were permitted to conceal carry guns on campus, the violence could have been stopped earlier in many of these cases. He also touched on the controversial idea of free gun zones on college campuses.

That night at work, Wahlberg received a message stating that the campus police “requested his presence”. Upon entering the police station, the officers began to list off firearms that were registered under his name, and questioned him about where he kept them.

They told Wahlberg that they had received a complaint from his professor that his presentation was making students feel “scared and uncomfortable”.

:cuss: :banghead:

I do like the quote at the end of the article, though:

“If you can’t talk about the Second Amendment, what happened to the First Amendment?” asked Sara Adler, president of the Riflery and Marksmanship club on campus.

forever_frost

imported post

At what point is enough enough? Sue her for violating his 1st amendment rights, mental anguish and why did the police pull his firearms records? They had no right to do any of that, the student should have asked if he was being detained and left without comment.

That just makes me so upset. This school needs to wake up and it seems the only way for liberal professors to do so and realize that just because they don't like a topic, that it's not illegal is to sue them when they fall to violating our rights....

Sorry if that didn't make sense...I'm furious about this.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://therecorderonline.net/2009/02/24/professor-called-police-after-student-presentation/

For CCSU student John Wahlberg, a class presentation on campus violence turned into a confrontation with the campus police due to a complaint by the professor.
On October 3, 2008, Wahlberg and two other classmates prepared to give an oral presentation for a Communication 140 class that was required to discuss a “relevant issue in the media”. Wahlberg and his group chose to discuss school violence due to recent events such as the Virginia Tech shootings that occurred in 2007.
Shortly after his professor, Paula Anderson, filed a complaint with the CCSU Police against her student. During the presentation Wahlberg made the point that if students were permitted to conceal carry guns on campus, the violence could have been stopped earlier in many of these cases. He also touched on the controversial idea of free gun zones on college campuses.
That night at work, Wahlberg received a message stating that the campus police “requested his presence”. Upon entering the police station, the officers began to list off firearms that were registered under his name, and questioned him about where he kept them.
They told Wahlberg that they had received a complaint from his professor that his presentation was making students feel “scared and uncomfortable”.
“I was a bit nervous when I walked into the police station,” Wahlberg said, “but I felt a general sense of disbelief once the officer actually began to list the firearms registered in my name. I was never worried however, because as a law-abiding gun owner, I have a thorough understanding of state gun laws as well as unwavering safety practices.”
Professor Anderson refused to comment directly on the situation and deferred further comment.
“It is also my responsibility as a teacher to protect the well being of our students, and the campus community at all times,” she wrote in a statement submitted to The Recorder. “As such, when deemed necessary because of any perceived risks, I seek guidance and consultation from the Chair of my Department, the Dean and any relevant University officials.”
Wahlberg believes that her complaint was filed without good reason.
“I don’t think that Professor Anderson was justified in calling the CCSU police over a clearly nonthreatening matter. Although the topic of discussion may have made a few individuals uncomfortable, there was no need to label me as a threat,” Wahlberg said in response.“The actions of Professor Anderson made me so uncomfortable, that I didn’t attend several classes. The only appropriate action taken by the Professor was to excuse my absences.”
The university police were unavailable for comment.
“If you can’t talk about the Second Amendment, what happened to the First Amendment?” asked Sara Adler, president of the Riflery and Marksmanship club on campus. “After all, a university campus is a place for the free and open exchange of ideas.”

ocman1991A1

Banned
imported post

we all knew phony registration laws would just be used against normal people.

put those cops in jail where they belong

dbc3804

imported post

nyc_paramedic wrote:
forever_frost wrote:
... That just makes me so upset. This school needs to wake up and it seems the only way for liberal professors to do so and realize that just because they don't like a topic, that it's not illegal is to sue them when they fall to violating our rights....
May I ask how you know this professor is a liberal? Do you have first hand knowledge? Or are you assuming this?

Hmmm, let's see...

College professor

Connecticut

Communications 140 class

Seems pretty obvious to me.

curtiswr

imported post

dbc3804 wrote:
nyc_paramedic wrote:
forever_frost wrote:
... That just makes me so upset. This school needs to wake up and it seems the only way for liberal professors to do so and realize that just because they don't like a topic, that it's not illegal is to sue them when they fall to violating our rights....
May I ask how you know this professor is a liberal? Do you have first hand knowledge? Or are you assuming this?

Hmmm, let's see...

College professor

Connecticut

Communications 140 class

You left out the irrational fear of firearms and those who legally own them. :p

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Doing a little investigation I find that Paula M. Anderson is an "instructor" not a "professor" and started instructing at CCSU between 7/1/07 and 9/19/07; someone of the same name has a gig as a lecturer at Tunxis Community College in CT; and I find that if she made any 2008 political donations it was for less than $200 and therefore not reported. In short, I can find no evidence of her political leanings one way or another in a quick search.

However, there is an old saying (variously attributed) that I think applies here: The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that sure is the way to bet.

Rattrapper

imported post

nyc_paramedic wrote:
dbc3804 wrote
Hmmm, let's see...

College professor

Connecticut

Communications 140 class

Oh, I see.

Let's:

You have a picture of a semi-auto for your avatar and your from Virginia. So, it is pretty obvious that you're a toothless, backwoods, illiterate, redneck with a house on wheels?
And when you're not on the 'puter cruising web forums, I can find ya on the porch playing banjo?

Not that I'm actually calling you any of these things.

Cheers.
I see we have a new TROLL, don't feed the trolls.

dbc3804

imported post

nyc_paramedic wrote:
dbc3804 wrote
Hmmm, let's see...

College professor

Connecticut

Communications 140 class

Oh, I see.

Let's:

You have a picture of a semi-auto for your avatar and your from Virginia. So, it is pretty obvious that you're a toothless, backwoods, illiterate, redneck with a house on wheels?
And when you're not on the 'puter cruising web forums, I can find ya on the porch playing banjo?

Not that I'm actually calling you any of these things.

Cheers.

Well, the "about" section of their web site says that they are a liberal arts institution. Also, in my years at college and the 4 years each that my son and daughter attended, the only conservative professors that I ever met were the ones who had real jobs during the day and taught classes at night. Everyone else I would characterize as flaming liberals. My schooling was back during the Vietnam war days, and the professors were very vocal on their political positions.

In the highlighted part above, I have pointed out your grammar issues (you're not your) so that should help answer the literacy issue for both of us. Except for the wisdom teeth, they are all mine. It's kind of hard to get a six bedroom house on wheels, but I suppose it could be done. While I do have some issues with the Richmond metro area, I can't see it as being backwoods, but we do have some vegetation around the buildings instead of only in a couple of parks. I don’t really have a red neck. I like to stay out of the sun. But I am descended from veterans of both the revolutionary and the “war of Northern aggression”. I am a card-carrying member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, so yes I do have a lapel pin that I wear to the meetings that sports a Confederate flag. (Since I am sure that is what you are alluding to). I do wish I could play the banjo. I did play the saxophone back in high school. Also being of Scottish descent, I wish I could play the bagpipes.

In addition to the semi-auto pictured, (a Colt 1911 Government Model – since you appear to be from a gun-free zone you may not recognize it), I also have a Glock 23 and a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag revolver. I suppose if I had used the revolver in my avatar, you would have had me be a tobacco-chewing, horseback riding cowboy.

Anyway, come on down to Virginia and we can show you how it is to live free.

Danny

Michigander

imported post

He went to talk to the police voluntarily. This was stupid. But since he screwed up, and the cops and teacher were out of line, I hope he makes some formal complaints. Especially if the police are supposed to have reasonable suspicion to dig up his records.

Even in someplace extremely anti gun, harassment such as that should piss off a police chief or college administrator.

curtiswr

imported post

I didn't think of this beforehand, but did just now that reasonable suspicion was mentioned:

From what I've been through most classes that will have you do a presentation would also have you submit a written outline or version of it as well. I wonder if the professor offered the presentation to the police, or if the police even asked to see it/look over it...

Huck

imported post

nyc_paramedic wrote:
forever_frost wrote:
If it talks like a lib and acts like a lib... It's a lib.

Gordie

imported post

nyc_paramedic wrote:

Like it or not, many liberals are anti-gun, and most anti-gunners are liberal. It is a pretty safe bet that when someone over reacts to the presence of a gun, theyare a liberal.

It is also a fact that academia is dominated by liberal leaning professors.

I'm sorry if you thought I was trying to insult you, but that was not my intention. Was looking for a good debate. Guess not here...

Maybe it was your passive aggressive approach that caused people to feel insulted.

If you want a good debate, you must first have at least a basic knowledge of the subject matter. The fact the you did not know what a 1911 (possibly the most well know handgun in the world)looks like shows that you don't have much experience or knowledge when it comes to firearms.

There are many good debates that take place here, you just have to realize that just because someone doesn't have the same level of education, or live in a big city on one of the coasts, doesn't make them stupid.

If you truly want to learn what self defense rights are about, stick around and read what is going on.

Gordie

imported post

nyc_paramedic wrote:
Gordie wrote:
Like it or not, many liberals are anti-gun, and most anti-gunners are liberal. It is a pretty safe bet that when someone over reacts to the presence of a gun, they are a liberal. It is also a fact that academia is dominated by liberal leaning professors.
I beg to differ. I honestly believe that many people --liberals *and* conservatives-- don't have enough information in this day and age to make an informed decision. And if someone overreacts to the presence of a gun, it's more likely because of the fact that they have not had any exposure to firearms, *not* because of their political leanings.

Please tell me where this fact concerning liberals and academia can be substantiated? Only liberals get teaching jobs? Please, please, please, tell me you're not serious.

Tell me what information is lacking in this day and age to prevent an informed decision on the 2nd Amendment. The 2nd amendment is clearly written, and any confusion about the wording can be cleared up by a simple investigation into word usage at the time of it's writing.

As for liberals in academia, you can't honestly be suggesting that the education system in our country is not left leaning.

An article by the Washington Post dated Tuesday, March 29, 2005:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8427-2005Mar28.html

College faculties, long assumed to be a liberal bastion, lean further to the left than even the most conspiratorial conservatives might have imagined, a new study says.

By their own description, 72 percent of those teaching at American universities and colleges are liberal and 15 percent are conservative, says the study being published this week. The imbalance is almost as striking in partisan terms, with 50 percent of the faculty members surveyed identifying themselves as Democrats and 11 percent as Republicans.

The disparity is even more pronounced at the most elite schools, where, according to the study, 87 percent of faculty are liberal and 13 percent are conservative.

"What's most striking is how few conservatives there are in any field," said Robert Lichter, a professor at George Mason University and a co-author of the study. "There was no field we studied in which there were more conservatives than liberals or more Republicans than Democrats. It's a very homogeneous environment, not just in the places you'd expect to be dominated by liberals."

In an article dated Tues., Dec. 28, 2004 from MSNBC:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6739040

It says:

Professors and politicsA recent study by Santa Clara University researcher Daniel Klein estimated that among social science and humanities faculty members nationwide, Democrats outnumber Republicans by at least seven to one; in some fields it’s as high as 30 to one. And in the last election, the two employers whose workers contributed the most to Sen. John Kerry’s presidential campaign were the University of California system and Harvard University.

Another article also describes the lack of diverse views on college campuses.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/986138/posts

I never said that there were no conservatives in education, just very few by comparison, and yes, I am very serious. Can you show that there is a balance of ideas in the education system?

You point out some of the worst examples of what is said on this forum and imply that the pro gun community is out of line. In some cases you are right. What about some of the extreme examples from the anti crowd?

Rosie O'Donnell is a prime source for this.

http://www.alphadogweb.com/firearms/rosie.htm

[suB][suP]"I think there should be a law -- and I know this is extreme -- that no one can have a gun in the U.S. If you have a gun, you go to jail."
- Rosie O'Donnell, April 21, 1999:
[/suP][/suB]

[suB][suP]"I don't care if you want to hunt, I don't care if you think it's your right. I say 'Sorry.' it's 1999. We have had enough as a nation. You are not allowed to own a gun, and if you do own a gun I think you should go to prison."
- Rosie O'Donnell, 1999:[/suP][/suB]

Let's not forget Carolyn McCarthy, who had this memorable exchange:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U

Tucker Carlson: In February you introduced the assault weapons ban and law enforcement protection act of 2007. It would regulate semi-automatic assault weapons including weapons that have pistol grips, a forward grip or something called a "barrel shroud". Weapons with a barrel shroud would be regulated. What's a barrel shroud and why should we regulate it?

Carolyn McCarthy: I think... I think the more important thing is... and it also would have had banned the large capacity clips that Colin Fergeson had used and also the killer.

TC: Right, I read the legislation and it said that it would regulate barrel shrouds. hat's a barrel shroud and why should we regulate them?

CM: The guns that were chosen back in those days were basically the guns that most gangs and criminals were using to kill our police officers. I'm not saying it was the best bill, but that was the best bill we could get out at that particular time.

TC: Do you know what a barrel shroud is?

CM: I actually don't know what a barrel shroud is.

TC: Oh, OK. Because it's in your legislation.

CM: I believe it's a shoulder thing that goes up.

TC: No. It's not.

I could find dozens more, but time and space constraints keep me from doing so at this time.

The big difference between people on this forum and the people in my examples, is access to network news media. People see these individuals and others like them on TV and think "They're on TV, they must know what they're talking about."

If people get carried away in defense of their rights, it is only because they have to defend against this kind of nonsense. The frustration can get the best of us.