• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a loophole, any brand

ChinChin

imported post

Riana wrote:
Nelson_Muntz wrote:
ed wrote:
I work in telecom.. I have sent new guys to other offices for a can of dialtone before.. and years earlier as a firefighter I sent rookies to other stations to pick up a "left handed smoke shifter". :dude:
Back on the submarine, we'd send rookies (non-quals) looking for the key to the diesel engine. Or we'd suit 'em up and send 'em around collecting letters for the 'mail bouy' run.
You guys are just mean. It's sad... and amusing...that those newbies fell for it. Then, I used to tell the people I did computer support for that the problem was an I-D-Ten-T error...
We used to send the PFC's out looking for a Pricky Five.

richarcm

imported post

Thundar wrote:
richarcm wrote:
Would OCing be a "loophole"?
No. Open Carry is the right. Concealed Carry is the loophole.
The loophole authors would suggest that open carry is not a right and that it would be a loophole. At least the loophole authors could boast that government is currently regulating concealed carry.

GWbiker

imported post

I've been searching for a loophole at local gun stores and thus far nobody knows what a loophole looks like. Maybe the Brady Bunch can help us meanwhile I'll keep searching.

BTW, in the Signal Corps, we would send rookies for OHM powder or a wire stretcher or tell new Lieutenants to remove phones from the desk while we blew out the phone lines.

We got into trouble by sending a clueless rookie to the administration clerks office (women there) for the company "Masterbation Sheet".

Xd Fan

imported post

tripledipper wrote:
Speaking of Bloomturd and his lawsuit, is it true that Cole Gun Shop in South Boston, or any othergun store in VA mentioned,must report all sales to the NYPD as an agreement for settlement? Pardon my ignorance about this matter.
Coles shut down over a year ago.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Xd Fan wrote:

tripledipper wrote:
Speaking of Bloomturd and his lawsuit, is it true that Cole Gun Shop in South Boston, or any other gun store in VA mentioned, must report all sales to the NYPD as an agreement for settlement? Pardon my ignorance about this matter.
Coles shut down over a year ago.

I wonder if he wants to file suit for conspiracy to injure another in his trade or business in violation of Va. Code section 18.2-500? It's good for treble damages plus attorneys' fees.

crazydude6030

imported post

user wrote:
I wonder if he wants to file suit for conspiracy to injure another in his trade or business in violation of Va. Code section 18.2-500? It's good for treble damages plus attorneys' fees.
I like how you think :D

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

user wrote:
I worked for a while writing software for a company, now long gone, called "Tymshare". Well before microcomputers, this company had a privately owned network (the first commercial network to use the packet switching technology that makes the InterNet work), and their own computers. They made money by renting out their computers via dialup.
I knew of Tymshare/Tymnet out of Cupertino, while I was growing up in Santa Clara, through my very slight acquaintance with the Varian family through VALLCO and the Lesters and Leonards that were family friends.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
user wrote: 
I worked for a while writing software for a company, now long gone, called "Tymshare". Well before microcomputers, this company had a privately owned network (the first commercial network to use the packet switching technology that makes the InterNet work), and their own computers. They made money by renting out their computers via dialup.
I knew of Tymshare/Tymnet out of Cupertino, while I was growing up in Santa Clara, through my very slight acquaintance with the Varian family through VALLCO and the  Lesters and Leonards that were family friends.

small world, eh? you must be an old geezer, too.

Tacitus

imported post

I brought back a bucket of steam when they sent me for it... had to heat the bucket to about 400 degrees by hanging it from a saturated steam drain, and tossed a wet rag over the top to hold in the steam. Handed it to the EOOW, who of course dropped it like a hot bucket. Burned his eyelids on the steam, and the marks in the tile where the bucket fell were still there when we decommed the ship. Secured my reputation as a smart ass and brought silly things like that to a quiet end when the Chief Engineer heard about it. You left out sound powered phone batteries...

Bernard Pishko has the market on loopholes in Norfolk cornered. He'll have to sell some when Dan Moore gets finished with him, I'm sure.

darthmord

imported post

Tacitus wrote:
I brought back a bucket of steam when they sent me for it... had to heat the bucket to about 400 degrees by hanging it from a saturated steam drain, and tossed a wet rag over the top to hold in the steam. Handed it to the EOOW, who of course dropped it like a hot bucket. Burned his eyelids on the steam, and the marks in the tile where the bucket fell were still there when we decommed the ship. Secured my reputation as a smart ass and brought silly things like that to a quiet end when the Chief Engineer heard about it. You left out sound powered phone batteries...

Bernard Pishko has the market on loopholes in Norfolk cornered. He'll have to sell some when Dan Moore gets finished with him, I'm sure.

Just so you know... there **ARE** in fact sound powered phone batteries. I couldn't believe it and demanded proof when I was told about them during a training session for SW quals. The ICman went and got a box that well and truly contained sound powered phone batteries. He even showed us how they went into the amplifiers in the system.

Go figure eh?

2a4all

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
You didn't really thing they were 'sound powered' did ya? :lol:
Yes, they were (still are?), at least when I left the USN (as ICC) in '77. Sending someone to fetch SP phone batteries has always been a fool's errand for "boots". Hint - they could sometimes be found next to the golden rivet. :lol:

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

;)

My favorite was to put a 'maintenance code' into the fire control system.

When we got a new ensign who was determined to learn everything, they would eventually migrate to the Control Room. Because I had the most unused real estate there, they would sit at one of my many seats. I always warned them not to touch a specific knob or button on the weapons system. Knowing they couldn't resist, I would turn my back on them and do something else.

I would wait until theyasked me for help. Quietly. They would point to the data screen that was flashing 'Emergency Destruct Activated'. I would then act surprised, panicked, and distraught and yell at them 'what the hell did you do?'. I explained that the function was necessary in case we were captured and had to scuttle the sub. It would over-voltage and fry the circuitry in the weapons system so opposing forces could not steal our technology. We had 5 minutes left until it melted. :shock:

They always said they bumped into it, and....what can we do? I told them that once activated, only the CO could authorize deactivation. Invariably, the newbies would be stretching their 'wings' during the Mid-watch. The Old Man was snoring in the rack...

I made them wake him up and beg forgiveness for not listening to me. :cool:

darthmord

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
You didn't really thing they were 'sound powered' did ya? :lol:

Well, there are sound powered phones that don't use batteries. My ship's SPPs worked without them but certain connections had amplifiers to help ensure a clear / clean signal.

I always had fun sending newbies to the tool locker to get a BT Punch or a can of A1R.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When I got tired of using the periscope I'd tell the OOD or striker O-1 lackey that I spotted a GU-11. They'd take over to track the 'contact'. lol

scarletwahoo

imported post

I tried buying a handgun at a gun show once. I had a newly issued VA license, so I couldn't buy one until the 30 days, or whatever the law states, has passed. Short story, I couldn't find anyone that would sell me a gun, even when I showed my concealed carry permit. I heard all these good things about gun show loop holes, it got my hopes up for nothing.

Bubba Ron

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
When I got tired of using the periscope I'd tell the OOD or striker O-1 lackey that I spotted a GU-11. They'd take over to track the 'contact'. lol
That's right up there with "relative bearing grease", if you were an FT you must have spent some time in SONAR. I rode boomers as a ping-jockey for 20+ years, but that was many moons ago....