• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suicide by cop...

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5720754

West Haven man dies after standoff with deputies
February 28th, 2009 @ 11:20am
WEST HAVEN, Utah (AP) -- A West Haven man was shot and killed after an armed confrontation with Weber County sheriff's deputies.
Sheriff's Capt. Klint Anderson says Michael John Taylor, 64, died after a 90-minute standoff at a barn behind Taylor's home Friday evening.
Officials say emergency dispatchers received a call from Taylor's wife at about 4:45 p.m. saying he had a weapon, was drinking and might be suicidal.
Anderson says negotiators spoke with Taylor for about an hour and a half before he ran out of the barn with a gun in his hand. Taylor went toward deputies and refused to put the gun down. At least one deputy fired shots.
The Weber County Attorney's Office is investigating the shooting.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Or maybe the wife wanted to colect life insurance???

When was the last time you read a story about a wife calling the cops on her husband that was "barricadedinside his home with a weapon" and the cops did not deflate his ass?

The story said he was drinking, it did not say he was drunk.

The last time I checked, there was no law prohibiting a 64 year old man from drinking while armed and suicidal,in his own barn!

I'm installing an electric fence, so I can be suicidal in peace.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

You are right that assumptions are feeling based. I admit thatI am guilty myselfof putting the deputy's presumed innocence behind guilt.

But seriously...When will it end? Whe are people going to get a clue?

If you don't want your loved one to be "Horiuchi'd", don't call more men with guns.

Call a priest, or bishop, or a counsellor.Hell... call ghostbusters for all I care.

PT111

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Or maybe the wife wanted to colect life insurance???

When was the last time you read a story about a wife calling the cops on her husband that was "barricadedinside his home with a weapon" and the cops did not deflate his ass?

The story said he was drinking, it did not say he was drunk.

The last time I checked, there was no law prohibiting a 64 year old man from drinking while armed and suicidal,in his own barn!

I'm installing an electric fence, so I can be suicidal in peace.

WEST HAVEN -- A Weber County man is dead following a shooting with deputies outside his home. The Friday incident killed 64-year-old Michael John Taylor, who was out on bail on charges of aggravated sexual abuse of a child in North Ogden.

If he was out on bail I would say that he was probably breaking the law by being armed not to mention he was on probation.

In that same article a story that did not end with the cops deflating his ass.
On Thursday, a man barricaded himself inside his girlfriend's Midvale apartment after beating her in front of her children. That standoff ended peacefully with the man surrendering.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

standard.net/live/news/167324/

Suicide by cop / Police: Layton drywaller likely sought tragic end; in fact, 36% fatally shot by officers seek death, new national study says

By JESSE FRUHWIRTH
Standard-Examiner Davis Bureau

LAYTON -- New national data suggests that so-called suicide-by-cop deaths account for as many as a third of all officer-involved shootings, and an investigator of one of Utah's most recent officer-involved shootings says that probably was the case in a Layton incident in February.

Suicide by cop is an unofficial phrase that describes situations in which a subject threatens law enforcement officers in hopes of being killed.

In the most recent issue of the Journal of Forensic Sciences, a former Los Angeles Police Department psychologist and two other researchers found that, of 707 officer-involved shootings reviewed, 36 percent were suicide by cop.

In another 5 percent of those cases, the subject either completed or attempted suicide.

"Therefore, 41 percent of the ... subjects in the overall sample evidenced suicidality: intending, attempting or actually committing suicide during the encounter (with police)," the study says.

A formal conclusion in the case of laid-off drywaller Jeffrey Jay Cramer, 36, of Layton, has not been issued.

Investigators say, however, the most crucial aspects of the investigation are complete and the officers were justified in their actions.

Layton Police Sgt. Jason Hinojosa and officer Anthony Yuen, two officers who responded to Cramer's residence and fatally shot him Feb. 26, went back to work this week.

Hinojosa has been with the department since 1998, Yuen since 2001. Both work in the traffic division.

Police said Cramer exited his house with a loaded shotgun and had extra ammunition in his pocket.

Hinojosa and Yuen ordered Cramer to drop the gun, police said, but Cramer instead fired a shot in their direction. He was shot at by both, but police have not said how many shots were fired nor how many hit Cramer.

Ballistics reports and the medical examiner's report could clear up that uncertainty.

Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings, who is in charge of assessing whether the officers broke the law, said those two reports are the only items missing from the file.

"Based upon what our office knows and what I have reviewed at this point, it appears to me to be a reasonable decision for Layton to have the officers return to work," he said.

Rawlings said a formal statement clearing the officers of any criminal wrongdoing will be made when the file is complete, which could be several weeks away.

Centerville police investigated the Cramer shooting.

It's difficult to determine for certain that Cramer was attempting suicide by cop, "but it appears that way," said Centerville Sgt. Von Steenblik.

"It's hard to say that was his absolute intent where he didn't verbally state that and didn't leave a note, but it really points in that direction."

Cramer had made comments in the past about suicide, he said.

"He did look at making some changes to his life insurance policy, but never followed through with that," Steenblik said.

Life insurance exclusions -- or people's misconception of them -- may partially explain the suicide-by-cop phenomena.

Two of the same researchers published this month in the Journal of Forensic Sciences wrote in a 2000 paper that those who seek suicide by cop sometimes are "hoping to avoid the exclusion clauses of life insurance policies."

Eric Checketts, an insurance agent at American Family Insurance in Syracuse, said mature policies will not exclude those who commit suicide.

However, he said, he's unaware whether insurance companies pay for suicide by cop within two years of the policy being signed.

"Each insurance company at that point may or may not (pay). It would be up to the claims adjuster that handles the situation as well as the company ... and their policies," Checketts said.

Researchers also noted that some subjects rationalize that suicide by cop resolves a spiritual problem presented by suicide.

Others may be trying to save face by being forcibly overwhelmed rather than surrendering, have intense power needs, want to draw attention to an important personal issue or want revenge.

fedup

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
You are right that assumptions are feeling based. I admit thatI am guilty myselfof putting the deputy's presumed innocence behind guilt.

But seriously...When will it end? Whe are people going to get a clue?

If you don't want your loved one to be "Horiuchi'd", don't call more men with guns.

Call a priest, or bishop, or a counsellor.Hell... call ghostbusters for all I care.

wow!

WHO IS GONNA SCREAM ABOUT HOW YOU ARE VIOLATING THE RIGHTS OF THE DEPUTY?

INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY IS QUITE IMPORTANT AS WELL>>>FREAKING IDOITS!!

As long as you can carry in Wal mart is ok....RIGHT.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

When a cop shoots somebody, nobody cares. But when somebody suggests that these shooting can be prevented?!? OMG! :what:

I violated nobodys rights. As long as I am not on a jury, I am free to pass judgement.

This message isbrought to you by Freedom of speech.Use it, or lose it. :X

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

It's not that Idesire to yell "BOMB!" in an airport, it just bugs me that I can't.

All of my wacky ******* comments are reserved for this website, I'm not a complete dipsh!t.

If I voiced them publicly, as a soldier, I would probably be hung. (and not the good hung either)