• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

? about buying guns at a gun show?

hometheaterman

imported post

I know a lot of the deals at a gun show are from guys privately selling guns. Now my question is I know in private sales a lot of times people will call and have the police to check the serial number to make sure it isn't stolen. Do you do this if you buy something at a gun show? Or do you just buy it right then and there and hope it's not stolen? The reason I ask is I don't see too many people wanting to wait around for that. I've never bought any guns at a show but the ones I've seen be bought it was basically just telling everyone about it then exchanging cash for the gun. What do you do in situations like this? I'm not planning to buy one but you never know if a deal might come up.

jegoodin

imported post

I've bought several guns at gun shows,all but two long guns were thru FFL dealers.For the long guns (both Win 94s), I got a bill of sale withtheir namesand addresses on it and they showed metheir DL to verify they were who they said they were. I also provided them with my DL and CHP.

LEO 229

imported post

Valid concern.

Unfortunately there is no safeguard against buying a stolen gun unless you work with through a FFL dealer or you can call a police department that is willing to run the SN for you.

I personally feel that no person is going to be so willing to be in possession and try to openly sell a stolen gun to the general public.

I suspect most stolen handguns are known to be on the HOT list during the transaction and prices accordingly.

G9M&P15

imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
I know a lot of the deals at a gun show are from guys privately selling guns.

Well really it's not a lot of deals at gun shows, it's a small minority. Unless I'm buying a Curio/Relic I usually only buy through FFL Dealers. I support right of a man to sell his private property, but I wouldn't feel right buying a cheap revolver off of some guy I've never met.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
I know a lot of the deals at a gun show are from guys privately selling guns. What deals are you talking about? Where have you found a deal, FTF private sale or thru a dealer, since November 4, 2008?Now my question is I know in private sales a lot of times Where are you getting this quantity from? Do you have a source for this - because I am seriously disputing your assertion. people will call and have the police to check the serial number to make sure it isn't stolen. Have you personally ever tried to do this? What did the cops say to you over the phone when you asked them to check gun's serial number to see if it was stolen? Do you do this if you buy something at a gun show? Or do you just buy it right then and there and hope it's not stolen? Seriously, what do YOU do? The reason I ask is I don't see too many people wanting to wait around for that. I've never bought any guns at a show Oh! You have no experience, but spout off about what "a lot of the deals at a gun show" entail. Again, just how do you know this?but the ones I've seen be bought it was basically just telling everyone about it then exchanging cash for the gun Excuse me? The experience you have had observing FTF sales at gun shows was completely contrary to what you have described above as happening "a lot"? Could you explain that to me?. What do you do in situations like this? I'm not planning to buy one but you never know if a deal might come up.

This is the sort of trolling under the guise of being a newbie looking for information that just frosts me no end. It also shows that the OP has not bothered using the search function to find the inumerable threads that have already beaten this horse to death. Worst of all, the OP has suckered 2 posters already into accepting his assertions - the ones he later contradicted by describing his own observations - as factual and believable, thus worthy of a response.

To the OP - if you are that scared that you are going to be picking up a stolen gun in a FTF sale, just do not bother with FTF sales. Please do not scatter your inane thoughts over this board, especially if you cannot keep your "facts" straight as you repeat myths and urban legends.

The folks who want to buy firearms are having enough problems with the government trying to protect us from ourselves and the evil that they see in guns and gun ownership. They do not need someone spouting off misinformation, myth and uban legend that supports the government's assertion that those who seek to legally purchase firearms are knowingly and willingly involved in skirting if not outright disregarding the law.

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

skidmark wrote:
hometheaterman wrote:
I know a lot of the deals at a gun show are from guys privately selling guns. What deals are you talking about? Where have you found a deal, FTF private sale or thru a dealer, since November 4, 2008?Now my question is I know in private sales a lot of times Where are you getting this quantity from? Do you have a source for this - because I am seriously disputing your assertion. people will call and have the police to check the serial number to make sure it isn't stolen. Have you personally ever tried to do this? What did the cops say to you over the phone when you asked them to check gun's serial number to see if it was stolen? Do you do this if you buy something at a gun show? Or do you just buy it right then and there and hope it's not stolen? Seriously, what do YOU do? The reason I ask is I don't see too many people wanting to wait around for that. I've never bought any guns at a show Oh! You have no experience, but spout off about what "a lot of the deals at a gun show" entail. Again, just how do you know this?but the ones I've seen be bought it was basically just telling everyone about it then exchanging cash for the gun Excuse me? The experience you have had observing FTF sales at gun shows was completely contrary to what you have described above as happening "a lot"? Could you explain that to me?. What do you do in situations like this? I'm not planning to buy one but you never know if a deal might come up.

This is the sort of trolling under the guise of being a newbie looking for information that just frosts me no end. It also shows that the OP has not bothered using the search function to find the inumerable threads that have already beaten this horse to death. Worst of all, the OP has suckered 2 posters already into accepting his assertions - the ones he later contradicted by describing his own observations - as factual and believable, thus worthy of a response.

To the OP - if you are that scared that you are going to be picking up a stolen gun in a FTF sale, just do not bother with FTF sales. Please do not scatter your inane thoughts over this board, especially if you cannot keep your "facts" straight as you repeat myths and urban legends.

The folks who want to buy firearms are having enough problems with the government trying to protect us from ourselves and the evil that they see in guns and gun ownership. They do not need someone spouting off misinformation, myth and uban legend that supports the government's assertion that those who seek to legally purchase firearms are knowingly and willingly involved in skirting if not outright disregarding the law.

stay safe.

skidmark
And this was the " 900th Anniversary Edition!"

All points well taken.

Yata hey

hometheaterman

imported post

I had several guns offered to me at very good prices from private sellers at the last gun show I attended. That's how I know there are good deals. I didn't plan to buy a gun and just thought if anything sparked my interest I'd pick it up. However, nothing did. Well, I take that back one gun did and someone else bought it in front of me.

I also while standing around saw a 2 private sales where the guy told him what he wanted and the other guy handed him the money and that was the end of it. So yes I know people do this but I was wondering if it was the best thing to do. Plenty of people also buy stolen goods knowing they are stolen. Does that mean it's a good thing to do? No. Does that mean I would do that? Once again the answer would be no.

As for calling the police department to ask them to run a serial number no I have never personally done it. However, not long ago their was a thread on one of the hunting forums I visit about it and several guys on there claimed they had gotten to police department to run serial numbers. A few others said the had but that it had taken a while for them to get back to them. Others said they wouldn't check it unless they bought the gun and brought it in. So do I have any personal experience? No. I have however read about others that have. Now I'm not sure if any of them were from VA or not.

So what myths am I spreading? I witnessed first hand more than one great deal at the last gun show. Several of which were offered to me that I just had no interest in. I wouldn't mine a .22 revolver but other than that I don't have any need for a gun so while I might could have picked up a nice S&W 38 special for $150 it's $150 that I would be spending on something I have no use for and don't really need. I'd rather just keep that $150 and spend it on something I do need. Which is what I did at the last gun show.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
I had several guns offered to me at very good prices from private sellers at the last gun show I attended. That's how I know there are good deals. I didn't plan to buy a gun and just thought if anything sparked my interest I'd pick it up. However, nothing did. Well, I take that back one gun did and someone else bought it in front of me.

I also while standing around saw a 2 private sales where the guy told him what he wanted and the other guy handed him the money and that was the end of it. So yes I know people do this but I was wondering if it was the best thing to do. Plenty of people also buy stolen goods knowing they are stolen. Does that mean it's a good thing to do? No. Does that mean I would do that? Once again the answer would be no.

As for calling the police department to ask them to run a serial number no I have never personally done it. However, not long ago their was a thread on one of the hunting forums I visit about it and several guys on there claimed they had gotten to police department to run serial numbers. A few others said the had but that it had taken a while for them to get back to them. Others said they wouldn't check it unless they bought the gun and brought it in. So do I have any personal experience? No. I have however read about others that have. Now I'm not sure if any of them were from VA or not.

So what myths am I spreading? I witnessed first hand more than one great deal at the last gun show. Several of which were offered to me that I just had no interest in. I wouldn't mine a .22 revolver but other than that I don't have any need for a gun so while I might could have picked up a nice S&W 38 special for $150 it's $150 that I would be spending on something I have no use for and don't really need. I'd rather just keep that $150 and spend it on something I do need. Which is what I did at the last gun show.
You need to let us all know where these gun shows that you go toare located. I would love to be offered a S&W .38 for $150 by someone I don't even know. For 15 years I have been to gun shows here in Virginia and NEVER have I been approached by a stranger offering to sell me his gun unsolicited. I have seen guys with signs on the gun or thier back but never anything that sounds the way you make it out to be.

hometheaterman

imported post

Well, I went to a gun show today and it wasn't like the last one I went to at all. I didn't hear anyone talking about selling guns except a few people telling dealers about them. I did see a couple of people walking around with them and I asked one if he was selling it and talked to him about it. Other than that I didn't hear many people talking about selling guns. Ot wasn't near as many peivate sales going on as the last one I went to. I only have been to 3 shows so I can't comment on how the rest would be.

tripledipper

imported post

The red flag should go up at once on any offer of a used Smith .38shooter for $150. Police 4"10's or 64's or BUGS like a 36-37are a minimun $250-300 if in working condition. Caveat emptor!

kle

imported post

tripledipper wrote:
The red flag should go up at once on...
I've walked around with signs taped to the guns I was selling, but I've never actively approached anyone and said "hey, you wanna buy my gun?" THAT's where my red-flag would go up: with an unsolicited offer to sell.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

If I'm not buying from an ffl, such that I'll get adequate documentation of the sale and implied warranties of title, etc., then I get good identification, e.g., driver's license and CHP, just to confirm identity (I don't write down numbers), and use my own bill of sale form.

You're welcome to download and copy it if you want to:

http://www.virginialegaldefense.com/COArmory.html

Scroll down the page and click on the link that says, "affidavit and bill of sale form". Be sure to have two copies so that both the buyer and the seller can have a fully-filled out original.