• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Yay King County!

joeroket

imported post

Kildars wrote:
Well, that is the agency that I want to work for. So I guess two spots just opened up. I think the deputy who stood there and let it happen should be 86'd too.
In defense of the second deputy, he may not have known what actually was happening. If you watch the video he was doing exactly what I would expect him to do. He was not using more force than needed and was not displaying an out of control aggressive behavior.

joeroket

imported post

Kildars wrote:
I disagree. He was standing right behind the first officer, they both went in pretty close in timing. He saw the first deputy punching her even after she was restrained.
Yes but he was not the aggressor. He should have reported it to his supervisor but I disagree that he should lose his job over another deputies actions.

cynicist

imported post

Also in that article, it mentions that she "assaulted" the officer with a shoe. As any of you who have ever been put in a cell know, they tell you to kick your shoes off, and apparently one hit him.
So in his defense, he had just been hit in the foot by a flying sneaker from a 15yo girl, clearing he was defending himself with all the punches, kicks, and slamming her head. She could have really hurt him if that other shoe had gotten off.

The second deputy probably won't lost his job (the first might not even.) He wasn't the aggressor, but he's still a putz.

He was involved in a 2006 shooting in which he killed a mentally ill man during a struggle on Interstate 5. The department determined that the shooting was justified.

Hammer

imported post

It just gets better- or really, worse. This cop has been in 2 officer involved shootings, one fatality in his 8 years of service. He was cleared in the fatality, per the evening news, but now there will (should!) be questions....

Phssthpok

imported post

And I suppose that lifting her to her feet BY HER HAIR (~40 seconds) was completely justified as well.:uhoh:

grishnav

imported post

cynicist wrote:
Also in that article, it mentions that she "assaulted" the officer with a shoe. As any of you who have ever been put in a cell know, they tell you to kick your shoes off, and apparently one hit him.
I wasn't asked to kick my shoes off when I went to jail, but that was in Oregon, so... who knows!

cynicist

imported post

And I suppose that lifting her to her feet BY HER HAIR (~40 seconds) was completely justified as well.
She still had one shoe on that could have been used as a projectile weapon. Skinny 15 year old girls can be dangerous, especially when they're in handcuffs and you have your knee in their back and a friend helping you hold her down.

grishnav

imported post

cynicist wrote:
And I suppose that lifting her to her feet BY HER HAIR (~40 seconds) was completely justified as well.
She still had one shoe on that could have been used as a projectile weapon. Skinny 15 year old girls can be dangerous, especially when they're in handcuffs and you have your knee in their back and a friend helping you hold her down.
:lol:

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

First let me just say this - Judging by the tape, I strongly believe the officer over-reacted. As far as all the outrage, especially that directed to KCSO, I think it is a little misplaced. The guy was suspended the next day, the Department is distancing themselves from him and is in no way, shape, or form defending him. There is a reason these things go the way they do. If they get info from him for a department invesatigation, it can't be used in court. If he is convicted in court, it makes the department investigation much easier. There are all sorts of laws, rules, rights involved and that is why it plays out the way it does. Yes, it does kind of suck that he is going to continue to draw a paycheck until this is settled, but that is standard. How many cops do you think there would be if they could be suspended without pay once suspected or accused of wrong-doing?

He has been charged and is going to go to trial (assuming he doesn't take a plea). Regardless of the outcome, it is a pretty safe bet he will never wear a badge again. As to the man he shot and killed a few years back, he was investigated and cleared. There were multiple witnesses, even the prisoner that he was transporting acknowledged the events as they occured. That has nothing to do with this and this has nothing to do with that.

It is unfortunate that he let that 15 yo get under his skin, but he has lost his carreer and will likely end up with a criminal record because of it. While that certainly casts a shadow on his other work, it doesn't undo previous good work, just as previous good work doesn't excuse this incident.

As to him being involved in multiple incidents over 8 years, that isn't uncommon. Especially for officers working the graveyard shift. Especially, especially offciers working the graveyard shift in the areas that have higher crime problems. Guess what, most of the more violent stuff happens on that shift.

As far as beatings go, it wasn't much of one. If she is prone to disrespecting her parents and authority, stealing cars, and behaving in such fashion at 15, it likely isn't her first and probably won't be her last. While she certainly didn't deserve it and probably never thought it might be an outcome, she is the one that put herself in the position for it to happen and shares some of the responsibility.

He didn't just pick someone off the street to give a smack-down. She was in a car that was reported stolen (driver I believe), and when the officer called the car owner to see if she had permission to be driving it, he was told no she didn't and that the owner wanted to pursue it as a vehicle theft.

By the way, this was the girls mother who the car was stolen from and who told the cops to treat her car stolen and her daughter as a car thief. I think that says something about mom in addition to an indication that daughter was no angel at home. I am on my 4th teenager, and while we have certainly had our trials and tribulations over the years, none of mine have ever taken off with the car. If any of them had done so, and if the cops called me a 3 in the morning asking about it, I would be getting dressed and heading to collect my car and child, not asking the officer to start my childs felony arrest record.

While that certainly doesn't excuse the cops behavior, it also can't be ignored. Her decisions and behavior put her in a position to be in contact with the cops. She just had the unfortunate luck to come across the wrong cop, at the wrong time.

We have a system in place to deal with that. As much as folks may not like it, cops have the same rights as everyone else. He is just as entitled to a presumption of innocence and his day in court as the alledged car thief is.

For all those who will whine about how he will get off because he is a cop, let me remind you all sorts of non-cop bad guys get off too. Lots of folks get convicted of Aslt4 and don't do any time in jail. I'd even venture a guess that MOST of the Aslt4 convictions don't result in any jail time. Where is the outrage on those cases? What about those victims (many of whom are much more innocent than this one)He sholdn't get any preferential treatment having been a cop, but by the same token he shouldn't be treated any harsher because he was one.

Why is it Aslt4 and not something more serious? Because the way the law is written, the circumstances fit for the definitions of assault from the RCW
( http://search.leg.wa.gov/pub/textsearch/ViewRoot.asp?Action=Html&Item=2&X=301093244&p=1 )

I am sure Aslt4 is just the first of the court processes he is going to face, no doubt the family will sue him civilly and there is also the possibility of the Feds going after him for a civil rights issue. Poor, poor 15 yo girl getting a smack-down, caught on video, that is the stuff media and lawyer dreams are made of.

The poor girl will get her payday and when all is said and done, that really is the important part isn't it? I bet she gets enough to buy a really nice car so she don't have to go stealing one.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Eight years of good service? Do you think this is the first time this officer has acted this way? Or the first time it was on tape?

As has been noted many places, violent criminals seldom jump straight from choir boy to felon. Doesn't it seem reasonable to suspect this officer worked up from too tight cuffs, to a subtle elbow dig, to slinging a teenage girl around by her hair?

If she stole her mom's car she's a thief. Either way there certainly are problems in that family.

This officer has a serious problem and richly deserves punishment. I am glad he has been removed from the pool of acting LEO. Kudos to my home county for recognizing this and (apparently) taking appropriate steps.

okkid

imported post

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
This is nothing new, these things happen often, we just normally don't hear about them.
We should never hear about this because this should never happen.
When will it stop?

Kildars

imported post

911Boss wrote
For all those who will whine about how he will get off because he is a cop, let me remind you all sorts of non-cop bad guys get off too. Lots of folks get convicted of Aslt4 and don't do any time in jail. I'd even venture a guess that MOST of the Aslt4 convictions don't result in any jail time. Where is the outrage on those cases? What about those victims (many of whom are much more innocent than this one)He sholdn't get any preferential treatment having been a cop, but by the same token he shouldn't be treated any harsher because he was one.
I completely disagree with this. I believe the cop should be given a harsher punishment. We hold police officers in high regard, we give then a very authoritative position of trust and power. There is a difference between that and Joe Blow punching around Jane blow on the street IMO.

okkid

imported post

Kildars wrote:
911Boss wrote
I completely disagree with this. I believe the cop should be given a harsher punishment. We hold police officers in high regard, we give then a very authoritative position of trust and power. There is a difference between that and Joe Blow punching around Jane blow on the street IMO.
Cops are not thugs thats why this is so wrong and I will whine about this and you should too.

kenshin

imported post

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
This is nothing new, these things happen often, we just normally don't hear about them.
And what...you're okay with that? This is wrong on so many levels. She barely even flipped her shoe.

Even if she was brought in on suspected car theft, she didn't deserve this. That is why we have a court system, the police do not get to decide our punishment.

I'm not trying to bash on all cops, but this one was definitely out of line.