• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Romney picked as 2012 GOP front-runner

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Well, that's interesting. Did some google searching and there does seem to be some people saying that. (Huckabee = Bigger Government)

That would certainly change my mind.... maybe I just fell for his charisma? :uhoh:

...Orygunner...
He's great on guns...but he's horrible on other things. Wants a nationwide smoking ban in businesses. Raised taxes in Arkansas. Really though, no matter who you elect, spending is going to go up. I've given up on that. My main concern is protecting the 2nd Amendment.

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

PilotPTK wrote:
:( If, as a group, we start 'giving up' on things.. It's won't be long before we just 'give up'.
I haven't given up on freedom. I've given up on the federal government. There is no way in heaven, hell or earth that the federal government will ever get better. None. Best to just protect the contingency plan (2nd Amendment) as long as we can.

Johnny Stiletto

imported post

Unless someone like Ron Paul or Gary E. Johnson will be on the Republican ticket in 2012, the Republicans will not be getting my vote... again.

For the life of me I just can't seem to find the "con" in neocon no matter how hard I look. A more accurate term for today's Republican would be "pseudocon", or "con - when it's convenient".

unreconstructed1

imported post

IF there is an election in four years, and IF Paul is in it, i'll vote for him. Palin would be a good running mate, but not the main event.

TFred

imported post

We aren't going to make any progress as long as we let the Democrats nominate the Republican candidate. That is exactly how McCain won the nomination, cross voting in the primaries. Until we fix that problem, we'll never have a chance to get back on track again.

TFred

carracer

imported post

Yeah, even in Idaho. the dems are opposing a closed primary, but, they have their Dem Caucus that no one else can get into.

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

carracer wrote:
Yeah, even in Idaho. the dems are opposing a closed primary, but, they have their Dem Caucus that no one else can get into.
That's not the problem. The problem is that the GOP is not concerned with principles anymore. This straw poll that picked Romney was all Republicans and look how it turned out.

unreconstructed1

imported post

carracer wrote:
Palin/Nugent...2012!!!

actually I was thinking more along the lines of Paul/Kokesh 2012...

Palin would be a good running mate, but I believe that she's got a way to go before sitting in the big chair, and I like Nugent... I REALLY like Nugent regarding his 2A stance, and his stance on criminals in general, but he has been hypnotized by the neo-con warhawks into thinking that we need to wage some kind of holy war against everyone...

Alexcabbie

imported post

2012 my big fat ass. We need to be focusing on 2010 and control of the most powerful branch of Government, the House and Senate. If the power of the Congress were concentrated in one man, that man would be able to do anything he wanted over the objection of the President (and the Supreme Court) and he could block anything the President tried to do.

Bill "BJ" Clinton was elected on a promise of ending the "gridlock". But "gridlock" is exactly what the Founders were shootng for. The way they set things up, they must have known there would be argument and deal making and personal strife gumming up the works and making it difficult to pass any kind of law. And they expected the Constitution they bequeathed us would be taken seriously; that "shall not pass" and "shall not be infringed" were plain English and would be universally understtod and that the "Interstate Commerce" clause would not be used as a loophole big enough to build a railroad through.

The present "leadership"of our country has instead taken their inspiration from the line in the Declaration of independence that says that all experience has shown that men are more disposed to suffer evils while evils shall be sufferable. And they hope that by the time an unmistakable pattern always evincing the same design has become apparent, it will be too late.....

Yesterday the idiot in charge of the FDIC (you know: "all accounts up to 100,000 Dollars ar insured by...) announced that the FDIC was in danger of going belly up. Could it be they are trying to trigger a run on the banks and engender anothe Great Depression that will give the Ubamanation an opportunity to abuse power in a way that would make FDR look like a piker??

November 2010 will definitely be the turning point. But it may come much sooner. Personally I think the S will HTF about the middle of June. Keep your bugout bag packed and the tank of your getaway car full. And hope somebody in the Senate decides to give Dingy Harry Ried a Preston Brooks shampoo. I fear for the Republic.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS.

unreconstructed1

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
GLENGLOCKER wrote:
Someday all gun owners will find out what smart gun owners already know.

http://www.lp.org/
Not perfect, by any stretch... but a far sight closer to the intent of our founding fathers than the abomination we have today, that's for sure.
gotta agree here. I have said for some time that the libertarian party is teh one party that I would choose to associate with.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
GLENGLOCKER wrote:
Someday all gun owners will find out what smart gun owners already know.

http://www.lp.org/
Not perfect, by any stretch... but a far sight closer to the intent of our founding fathers than the abomination we have today, that's for sure.
gotta agree here. I have said for some time that the libertarian party is teh one party that I would choose to associate with.
If more people who thought that way did get involved with the LP, We would be better off. Until then we'll have choices like Romney and Obama.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Despite the fact that the Libertarian Party seems a more desireable choice, the FACT is that "third party" candidates almost NEVER do well, especially at the Federal level. I as much as anyone else would like to see a litttle competiton out there but the FACT is that your next Senator, your next Congressperson, and our next President WILL be either a Republican or a Democrat. In some rare instance a Libertarian candidate for the House or (even more rarely) the Senate might be able to garner enough support and win, and as I have said control of these two legislative bodies is far more crucial than who signs the blls they pass. If anyone thinks they can pump up a Libertarian Congressional candidate to where they are a REALISTIC choice for the Legislature they should by all means do so; acting on the Primary level in the major parties to ensure a palatable alternative should the Libertarian's numbers not look so good on Election eve.

As for the Presidency, that isn't going to happen until there are Libertarian Representatives and Senators on the floor passing legislation and otherwise "making the Party's bones". Nobody - but nobody - is going to vote for someone they never heard of because people they - rightly or wrongly - think of as just a pack of marijuana advocates say he has some "good ideas". President Joe Blow will never fly. To be taken seriously the Libertarians need to show they "can do" on the Federal level.

As to the Presidency, IF the Republic survives four years of the jug-eared Evil Clown, I confess I am leaning toward Ron Paul. Last timw around I thought he was weak on Foreign Policy and the war, but by 2012 the Ubamination will have effed those two up so badly that it won't matter. And Ron will I am sure know what kind of gifts to give a visiting Head of State (or Prime Minister, and yes I do know the difference)

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Despite the fact that the Libertarian Party seems a more desireable choice, the FACT is that "third party" candidates almost NEVER do well, especially at the Federal level. I as much as anyone else would like to see a litttle competiton out there but the FACT is that your next Senator, your next Congressperson, and our next President WILL be either a Republican or a Democrat. In some rare instance a Libertarian candidate for the House or (even more rarely) the Senate might be able to garner enough support and win, and as I have said control of these two legislative bodies is far more crucial than who signs the blls they pass. If anyone thinks they can pump up a Libertarian Congressional candidate to where they are a REALISTIC choice for the Legislature they should by all means do so; acting on the Primary level in the major parties to ensure a palatable alternative should the Libertarian's numbers not look so good on Election eve.

As for the Presidency, that isn't going to happen until there are Libertarian Representatives and Senators on the floor passing legislation and otherwise "making the Party's bones". Nobody - but nobody - is going to vote for someone they never heard of because people they - rightly or wrongly - think of as just a pack of marijuana advocates say he has some "good ideas". President Joe Blow will never fly. To be taken seriously the Libertarians need to show they "can do" on the Federal level.

As to the Presidency, IF the Republic survives four years of the jug-eared Evil Clown, I confess I am leaning toward Ron Paul. Last timw around I thought he was weak on Foreign Policy and the war, but by 2012 the Ubamination will have effed those two up so badly that it won't matter. And Ron will I am sure know what kind of gifts to give a visiting Head of State (or Prime Minister, and yes I do know the difference)
That will not happen until more people get involved locally. I was shocked when two years ago after I got more involved in politics of how ignorant a lot of gun owners are concerning politics. Also in how much most of them didn't even seem to care. Well I bet they're wishing they could get a do over now. So lets look at Ron Pauls foreign policy. It's not weak!!!! He is right in that we can not afford to keep an empire. Why should my tax dollars go to Hamas and Hezbollah that they turn into money for weapons.Then we give money to Israel to fight them. We actually give more money to Israel's enemies and they are our allies!!! As for the Iraq war, well what do think helped get us in the financial dire straits we're in now?? People who think us Libertarians just want to legalize pot have never been to a Libertarian party meeting. Our local party has doctors, lawyers and retired naval officers.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Another thing: Paul did not run as a Libertarian. It might be good for the Libertarian party if he announced a change of party, but the Libertarian Party being percieved by a very sizable majority of the voters as a lot of potheads, ex-hippies and mmoncalf kids probably wouldn't help Paul's career. Realize I am NOT opposing you. Bringing up the Iraq war (and by implication George Bush) does not answer to my premise that the reason people thnk Libertarians are a bunch of dopers is that they haven't managed to make their political "bones".

The voters are not going to let some random guy come in fat and happy and run the big electric train set in Washington, D.C. You guys are going to need to get at least three seats in the House and maybe a Senator; and these guys are going to need to sponsor and wheel and deal on legislation and succeed so that people know you are serious and can get things done. Until you Libertarians do THAT, presenting arguments in bars and internet forums will avail you of maybe carpal tunnel syndrome and/or a hangover. And not a whole lot more.

And be careful. I still remember how Howard Stern organized his followers and conducted a successful Putsch at your New York State nominating convention, and thereby became the Libertarian candidate for Governor of New York. That debacle did not help the image of Libertarianism one bit.