• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Minneapolis soon

GloriousSandwich

imported post

North Dakotan here. I'm planning on moving back to my home state of Minnesota in the coming fall. I've also finally made up my mind to get my carry permit. Of course now that I've made up my mind I'm fairly antsy to get the ball rolling. However, seeing as I'm going to be moving soon and the ND permit doesn't carry over to MN it wouldn't make sense to get one here. My question to you Minnesota carriers is, does MN allow non residents to apply for a permit? I'm lucky enough to live about a two minute walk from the EGF Cabela's and I believe I can sign up for the classes there. I would just prefer to arrive in Minneapolis properly armed and comfortable with carrying from the get go. Maybe it's just the small town in me saying this, but the cities seem dangerous. Anyway way, thanks for any help and for putting up with another noob full of questions.

Joat

imported post

Yes a non resident can get a Minnesota permit. You do have to go in person to a Sheriff's office to drop off the paper work, it can be any sheriff you want I don't know if they all change the maximum fee of $100 or not. When you move you are required to give the sheriff notice of your change of address. I would recommend telling the instructor you situation and asking his advice.

the permit statute is here:
https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?year=2008&id=624.714#stat.624.714