• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL class grip?

sictransitgloria

imported post

So my will be father-in-law (in 3 months) got his gun around the same time I did. He took the CPL class, and was showing me the grip that they taught him to use, and it was a bit different than how I've been taught by semi-knowledgeable friends. I was wondering if there is a certain way CPL instructors require and expect people to hold pistols/revolvers and if I'll do bad if I come in holding it "the wrong way"? Apparently the way he was taught has taken some getting used to.

Michigander

imported post

There are different methods with specifics that you need to know. If you aren't too familiar with the different postures and methods of combat shooting, you minimally need to read up on it, but seeking the help of a pro shooting instructor would probably be a lot better. Much as I trust my friends, I know I wouldn't count on my friends to teach me how to shoot to live. ;)

viperar15

imported post

just as the previous post. there are different grips that you can do.
along with that, with whatever grip you choose, make sure it works for you and you feel comfortable with the grip. if you are not comfortable with it, its not a safe grip for you then.

the grip that dad and i use is listed in the nra safety book that our instructor used for our class. its also the same grip that the pro shooter guy from blackhawk.com uses.

the only thing i would "suggest" is that you do not use the method of cupping the bottom of the pistol if it is a semi-auto. though i know the army national guard teaches this, hollywood does to, and some places, it is not neccesarily the best grip. if you're using a revolver, go for it if it works for you.

when it comes to self defense you need to make sure you can safely control your pistol with your choosen grip. and when you are at the range, practice with that same grip. that way in the middle of something happening (hopefully nothing ever happpens :) ) when you go to grab your defense tool... you dont think about what you need to do. you just do it.

maahes

imported post

I completely agree with the above posts. Practice lots of different grips to see what works best for your handgun/hands. My CPL instructor not only covered the NRA grip but also went over lots of situational grips and stances. At the range he had us do a magazine of each: dominant hand with opposite support, non-dominant with opposite support, dominant only, non-dominant only, alternating dominant/non-dominant each shot, and some others. I went through 300 rounds but defiantly was nice having the instruction, plus it should come in handy defensively but also when I (hopefully) start IPSC competition this summer.