• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

where NOT to OC???

FMCDH

imported post

Army wrote:
It's a crappy bit of law, with a big loophole.
A loophole that has not been tested in court as being defensible. If a police officer stops you in a school zone, and he KNOWS its a school zone, you can bet you will be arrested.

Is it worth the risk? Each person has to decide that for himself, BUT if your arrested and convicted, its a felony and all the dressings that go with it.

Its irresponsible to tell a person to go ahead and ignore the law without telling them the consequences they face.

KandyRedCoi

imported post

Army wrote:
KandyRedCoi wrote:
another scenario...im driving in a new to me city, while i UOC, then i spot a school...what do i do next???
You are not from this city or area, you have no REASONABLE knowledge of any school zones here. Even should you spot a school, you are already well within the 1000'. Keep driving and forget about it. The Police and/or prosecution must prove you knew about the school aforehand.

that in itself is like a gamble as well, part of UOC that is unclear, but just to be safe, locking it up wouldnt be such a bad idea, then again what are the odds you get pulled over 1000ft around a school, while UOC in your car, i mean unless you were doing something illegal to begin with, u should be OK

KandyRedCoi

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
Army wrote:
A loophole that has not been tested in court as being defensible. If a police officer stops you in a school zone, and he KNOWS its a school zone, you can bet you will be arrested.

Is it worth the risk? Each person has to decide that for himself, BUT if your arrested and convicted, its a felony and all the dressings that go with it.

Its irresponsible to tell a person to go ahead and ignore the law without telling them the consequences they face.

thanx, i think if i do UOC im better off checking my route, and if i must keep my lock box near me at all times

cato

imported post

KandyRedCoi wrote:
i mean unless you were doing something illegal to begin with, u should be OK

That can be as simple as not signaling for a hundred feet before changing lanes and when was the last time you checked to see if all your required lighting was working?

Ever roll past the limit line at a stop sign???

photo by oleg volk:

KandyRedCoi

imported post

u r right, i will hold off on UOC for now, as another member has advised til some good case laws are buttoned up

Decoligny

imported post

KandyRedCoi wrote:
another scenario...im driving in a new to me city, while i UOC, then i spot a school...what do i do next???

Whenever I open carry in my vehicle, I always have a lcking container easily accessible. If I encounter a school zone that I was previously unaware of, I simply put the gun in the container and lock it. All of 1 seconds worth of time.

Same thing I do if I ever have a police officer try to pull me over. Before coming to a stop I put the gun in the container and lock it.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Same thing I do if I ever have a police officer try to pull me over. Before coming to a stop I put the gun in the container and lock it.
That's an interesting idea. On one hand, I don't think it should be a big deal for a cop to deal with an armed citizen. So long as the officer doesn't have reason to believe the person is dangerous, the gun shouldn't even be part of the equation. Kinda like the cop's gun is just there during a traffic stop. So my natural inclination is to say, "eff 'em if they get butt hurt over the presence of a firearm."

On the other hand, this could avoid unwarranted detentions and arrests by depriving the officer of even the 12031(e) check. The temptation to hold you and your gun while "running" everything would be eliminated. I suppose if you didn't feel like getting violated that day this could be a handy way to avoid the headache of having to file a complaint and/or take legal action.

By the way, I once went through a DUI checkpoint while armed. The officer at my window either didn't notice, or simply didn't care to bother me. (This was in Turlock, after my incident with the PD there.)

poothrowingape

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
By the way, I once went through a DUI checkpoint while armed. The officer at my window either didn't notice, or simply didn't care to bother me. (This was in Turlock, after my incident with the PD there.)
clovis gets flooded withDUI checkpoints every weekend. I know someone who owns one of the bars down townand hes loosing a lot of business now-a-days.