• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy here.

jonnymcsavage

imported post

I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this information and this board! All my life I have been told that OC was illegal unless you had a CPL. Me and my girlfriend recently took a CPL class and nothing was mentioned about OC nor did anyone ask questions about. If you guys are familiar with the town I live in, you probably have heard horror stories about how the LEO's are notorious for bothering people for no apparent reason. I guess when you live in a pretty much crime free area LEO's have nothing to do. As you can tell my only concern with carrying in my area(Livonia, Northville, Novi, Plymouth, etc.) are LEO's. Should I be worried about them? Is it a good idea to take the information from website to them so they are aware of my right to OC? Just a few rookie questions from someone who is thinking about OC. Glad to be here!:D

DanM

imported post

jonnymcsavage wrote:
my only concern with carrying in my area(Livonia, Northville, Novi, Plymouth, etc.) are LEO's. Should I be worried about them?
I commute through and work in Novi. I've OC'd many times there. I have not had a LEO encounter. I don't know ifthe PD has ever been called or not about me, but if so I haven't seen any officers.

That being said, a negative LEO responsetoopen carrycould happen anywhere, at any time even with the PD's that seem familiar with OC. All of us here whoopen carry accept that we could be the victim of law enforcement harassment or arrest, so we prepare by knowing the law and knowing how to assert our rights.

I would say continue with your exploration of open carry. Take small steps in exercising open carry. Start with around your house and yard. Then go to the mailbox or take a short stroll around the block. Go to the open carryget-togethers (you will feel a lot of confidence with everyone else OC'ing too).

Is it a good idea to take the information from website to them so they are aware of my right to OC?

Yes, it might be helpful, but don't be disappointed if they don't seem to believe it or support it. Some PD's and LEO's either knowingly or unknowingly make an appearance of ignorance of the right to open carry. So, good luck with any efforts you do with educating the police and I hope you get some success.

Another benefit to carrying printed information is that you can hand it to people who ask questions about the legality of what you are doing as an open carrier.