Thread: Ex-Gun Store owner sticking it to the City of Alexandria

Post imported post

If you have lived in Alexandria, you probably know of the Trophy Room in Old Town.

If you have lived in Alexandria, you probably know what a bunch of stuck-ups they have in the City Hall.

This is a story about Mr. Zarlenga, who used to own the Trophy Room, a hunting and fishing store, and whose store was basically forced to close by the city government. Instead of fading quietly into the sunset, Mr. Zarlenga rented his store space to someone who subsequently opened a SEX SHOP. By his own admission, Zarlenga wanted to rent out the space to someone who would surely aggravate the city. Well, I say, Good For Him!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...022801976.html

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Chuckles wrote:
    If you have lived in Alexandria, you probably know of the Trophy Room in Old Town.

If you have lived in Alexandria, you probably know what a bunch of stuck-ups they have in the City Hall.

This is a story about Mr. Zarlenga, who used to own the Trophy Room, a hunting and fishing store, and whose store was basically forced to close by the city government. Instead of fading quietly into the sunset, Mr. Zarlenga rented his store space to someone who subsequently opened a SEX SHOP. By his own admission, Zarlenga wanted to rent out the space to someone who would surely aggravate the city. Well, I say, Good For Him!

Funny? Maybe in a perverse sort of way but hardly OC related even by a stretch. Not really something I would even like to see related to our cause.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

That's great

Post imported post

Who's gonna be first to OC there?

Post imported post

"Tell George his recruiting Expences are not allowed, nor any of the Minute Officers. I have got a Warrant for £3..5 for the two Guns, chd. in his Acct. furnished the Detachment of his Compy. wch. march'd with Ensign Cofer. I have spoken to Capt. Lee about the two Guns, his Compy. carried from Dumfries; but he says he knows nothing about them, & unless George can make some other Proof, they will be lost, & no Satisfaction recd. for them; especially as Capt. Lee's Company, wth. the rest of the third Regiment is ordered to march imediatly to Carolina. He shou'd also get a Certificate from Ensign Cofer for the Musket he took of mine from John Tillet's Shop; tho' I had much rather have the Musket re-turn'd; for as we have a Bayonet for her, she wou'd now sell at £5…10."" - George Mason to Martin Cockburn., June 23, 1776.

The John Tillet mentioned was a gunsmith that had a shop in the town of Alexandria. So, The town council closed down what was an authentic 18th century business. The people of the City of Alexandria in relying on government people who don't know history are getting screwed by the City Town Council and zoning boards, not Mr. Zarlenga.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
    "Tell George his recruiting Expences are not allowed, nor any of the Minute Officers. I have got a Warrant for £3..5 for the two Guns, chd. in his Acct. furnished the Detachment of his Compy. wch. march'd with Ensign Cofer. I have spoken to Capt. Lee about the two Guns, his Compy. carried from Dumfries; but he says he knows nothing about them, & unless George can make some other Proof, they will be lost, & no Satisfaction recd. for them; especially as Capt. Lee's Company, wth. the rest of the third Regiment is ordered to march imediatly to Carolina. He shou'd also get a Certificate from Ensign Cofer for the Musket he took of mine from John Tillet's Shop; tho' I had much rather have the Musket re-turn'd; for as we have a Bayonet for her, she wou'd now sell at £5…10."" - George Mason to Martin Cockburn., June 23, 1776.

The John Tillet mentioned was a gunsmith that had a shop in the town of Alexandria. So, The town council closed down what was an authentic 18th century business. The people of the City of Alexandria in relying on government people who don't know history are getting screwed by the City Town Council and zoning boards, not Mr. Zarlenga.
    Interesting historical insight. Would be fascinating to to find that the locations were one and the same.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Chuckles wrote:

Funny? Maybe in a perverse sort of way but hardly OC related even by a stretch. Not really something I would even like to see related to our cause.

Yata hey
    It's not OC related, but it's RKBA related.

Zarlenga is making a stand, in a rather humorous way.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

More power to him.

Post imported post

I met Mike. He also took my Utah class a couple of months ago. He is a real decent guy. The City should not have screwed him like that. Guess they figured he should be giving more to their campaign funds.

Post imported post

Can I convince my wife that the only reason I went there was to support the 2A?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission! :celebrate

Post imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
    Thundar wrote:
    Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission! :celebrate
    I have found that a 50/50 proposition. Well ok, a bit better than that. Maybe 70/30.

Post imported post

I think he should hurry up before they rezone andopen a bondage and fetish shop in his other building, complete with authentic wooden stocks and 18th century styleclothing in latex and rubber.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.